Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long gone Brighton bands/Lost venues

Jan 30, 2008
Saw Banshees, Cure and Spizz at the centre the day the Banshee's split and Robert Smith had to step in

Ramones, Vibrators, Japan, Ramones, Undertones, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Sham, Cockney Rejects, XTC, Punilux, Killing Joke, Ants, Spandau, Duran, Pretenders, Bauhaus, 999, Slits, Clash, Pistols, Comsat Angels, Passions, Jam Joy Div, New Order, The Fall, TV Personalities, ATV, Ruts, Big Country, Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, The Members plus a few others at the centre, Top Rank Dome Xtreems etc

Great days, so many great gigs
replaced by commercial rap rubbish , poncy boy bands and rent a girl bands :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Regent down West Street - cozy/cramped - saw some bands eg The Dance Society

Coasters - had guest bands eg Bananarama

Brighton Poly (Cockcroft site I think) - saw an early-ish The Smiths gig.

Wish I had seen New Order and Echo & The Bunnymen, at their early Basement gigs ... but was a bit too young at that time.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Anybody know if Charlie Harper is still flogging that UK Subs dead horse around the country? He was about sixty if he was a day during the punk era, must be getting on for treble figures if he's still alive, and probably feat. his grandkid on lead guitar. Shit one-dimensional caricature of what punk was meant to be.
Got to disagree with you there.Love The Subs.From legendary gig come mass brawl at The Top Rank to the Haunt last year.Not been a year where I havn't seen them.
24/05/14 UK Subs at The Haunt for Charlie Harpers 70th birthday party.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
replaced by commercial rap rubbish , poncy boy bands and rent a girl bands :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Yes in the the Mid seventies until Punk and N wave came along I used to think that those disco all black male groups were bad - but I never thought it would be as bad as it is now with manufactured X factor acts producing the same drivel for 11 y old girls and their mums

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
One of the best nights was the riot down the Top Rank at the Buzzcocks gig

Undertones when they didn't come on stage at the T rank till about 11.30 was good but the Ramones down there....................

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes in the the Mid seventies until Punk and N wave came along I used to think that those disco all black male groups were bad - but I never thought it would be as bad as it is now with manufactured X factor acts producing the same drivel for 11 y old girls and their mums

On the plus side, this dreary state of affairs will only need to drag on into the doldrums like that for a year or two more before the 21st Century equivalent of punk comes along and wipes the floor with the manufactured dross. We don't know what form that musical revolution will take yet, but we'll sure as hell know it when we see it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Saw Banshees, Cure and Spizz at the centre the day the Banshee's split and Robert Smith had to step in

Ramones, Vibrators, Japan, Ramones, Undertones, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Sham, Cockney Rejects, XTC, Punilux, Killing Joke, Ants, Spandau, Duran, Pretenders, Bauhaus, 999, Slits, Clash, Pistols, Comsat Angels, Passions, Jam Joy Div, New Order, The Fall, TV Personalities, ATV, Ruts, Big Country, Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, The Members plus a few others at the centre, Top Rank Dome Xtreems etc

Happy days, that's an impressive list, with a few I never got to see.
That Banshees gig at the Centre was brilliant, I was lucky enough to see that.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
On the plus side, this dreary state of affairs will only need to drag on into the doldrums like that for a year or two more before the 21st Century equivalent of punk comes along and wipes the floor with them. We don't know what it is yet, but we'll sure as hell know it when we see it.

We live in hope - mind you going to gigs these days is really strange, I cant get used to seeing so many 50 y olds there with there kids and then I remember I'm one of them!

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder

Remember that Banshees gig well.Was at most of the gigs you mentioned as well.Remember the 999 gig where a little got on stage and played guitar on one of their songs.
The Clash where Pete Townsend played Garageland in the encore and The XTC gig where the power went off and the crowd sang Statue of Liberty with the band without any instruments. Seem yo remember something happening at the Skids gig as well

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Happy days, that's an impressive list, with a few I never got to see.
That Banshees gig at the Centre was brilliant, I was lucky enough to see that.

Twas amazing and Smith had to learn all those songs in the afternoon - I think he went on to play for them for a few months.

That Banshees first Album still is fresh if you play it today - it hasn't aged

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Remember that Banshees gig well.Was at most of the gigs you mentioned as well.Remember the 999 gig where a little got on stage and played guitar on one of their songs.
The Clash where Pete Townsend played Garageland in the encore and The XTC gig where the power went off and the crowd sang Statue of Liberty with the band without any instruments. Seem yo remember something happening at the Skids gig as well

Yes Some of the Stranglers gigs at the T rank were good too - The Men in black tour I think was one and they played 5Mins - The atmosphere was electric and it felt like a riot was about to start at any minute

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Twas amazing and Smith had to learn all those songs in the afternoon - I think he went on to play for them for a few months.

That Banshees first Album still is fresh if you play it today - it hasn't aged

The early Cure stuff was also very good, very talented man Smith.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Remember both speakers coming off the upstairs balcony onto the stage and the bloke in the middle of the dance floor swinging the microphone round his head like a lasso.

Did'nt some one have an axe and started smashing up a speaker? It got pretty nasty at one point I seem to remember

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Yes Some of the Stranglers gigs at the T rank were good too - The Men in black tour I think was one and they played 5Mins - The atmosphere was electric and it felt like a riot was about to start at any minute
Those Stranglers gigs were legendary at The Top Rank . Pretty sure the cover of Something Better Change was taken st the Top Rank.
I like to think they dedicated the Flock of Seagulls chant from Toiler of the Sea, to us when they played The Centre on the Black and White tour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here