Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long gone Brighton bands/Lost venues

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone else remember a sweet pop combo called The Red Squares? Seem to recall having a post-Chefs crush on them at one point late seventies/early eighties.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
The Ruts were one band I never got to see, brilliant band.
If I remember right that was after Charlton away.
Also remember Madness in there.Same day as we played Leeds at home.Brighton skins and other skins battered Leeds outside The King and Queen after the gig.Pretty feisty night inside and outside the venue.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Ruts were one band I never got to see, brilliant band.

Was lucky enough to see The Ruts doing Babylon's Burning on TOTP when I worked at the BBC. Bumped into Malcolm Owen in the bar. Said something like cracking single, shame about the cover (it was a white sleeve with red triangles, a bit average for the time). '**** off' he said 'I designed that'. He was wearing a black and white polka dot shirt. About a week later he was dead.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Was lucky enough to see The Ruts doing Babylon's Burning on TOTP when I worked at the BBC. Bumped into Malcolm Owen in the bar. Said something like cracking single, shame about the cover (it was a white sleeve with red triangles, a bit average for the time). '**** off' he said 'I designed that'. He was wearing a black and white polka dot shirt. About a week later he was dead.

Shame on you :wrong:

Jan 30, 2008
And Bauhaus and Spizz Energi
i see bad manners there the same night iron maidern were playing top rank ,me and my bruv got cornered by a load of greasers at Brighton station on the way home ,a couple of lovely lady's with them decided they wanted to use us as target practice for their gobbing , British transport police saved the day :laugh:
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Remember it well.Supposed to be their last ever gig.Still got the poster I nicked off the wall outside the Top Rank.Supported by The Test Tubes.The Rejects headlined a tent at Download a couple of years ago.

That brings back memories, nicking posters :whistle:

I had a Damned poster off a board about 5 minutes after it had gone up.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
i see bad manners there the same night iron maidern were playing top rank ,me and my bruv got cornered by a load of greasers at Brighton station on the way home ,a couple of lovely lady's with them decided they wanted to use us as target practice for their gobbing , British transport police saved the day :laugh:
regards
DR
I went to see Iron Maiden that night.Got a lot of looks with my flight jacket and cropped hair.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody know if Charlie Harper is still flogging that UK Subs dead horse around the country? He was about sixty if he was a day during the punk era, must be getting on for treble figures if he's still alive, and probably feat. his grandkid on lead guitar. Shit one-dimensional caricature of what punk was meant to be.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
That brings back memories, nicking posters :whistle:

I had a Damned poster off a board about 5 minutes after it had gone up.
Got loads of posters of various punk bands at the Top Rank.Some have quite few layers underneath of older posters.They are so thick, they are like wood.Used to use nails rather than blu tac to stick em on the wall

Jan 30, 2008
Anybody know if Charlie Harper is still flogging that UK Subs dead horse around the country? He was about sixty if he was a day during the punk era, must be getting on for treble figures if he's still alive, and probably feat. his grandkid on lead guitar. Shit one-dimensional caricature of what punk was meant to be.
CROWN AT HAILSHAM ANY0NE, ALSO SEEN IN LEWES last year
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Got loads of posters of various punk bands at the Top Rank.Some have quite few layers underneath of older posters.They are so thick, they are like wood.Used to use nails rather than blu tac to stick em on the wall

:)
Memories flooding back now, I think me and a few mates were in competition to see who could get the best posters.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Does he live in Sussex?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Saw Banshees, Cure and Spizz at the centre the day the Banshee's split and Robert Smith had to step in

Ramones, Vibrators, Japan, Ramones, Undertones, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Sham, Cockney Rejects, XTC, Punilux, Killing Joke, Ants, Spandau, Duran, Pretenders, Bauhaus, 999, Slits, Clash, Pistols, Comsat Angels, Passions, Jam Joy Div, New Order, The Fall, TV Personalities, ATV, Ruts, Big Country, Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, The Members plus a few others at the centre, Top Rank Dome Xtreems etc

Great days, so many great gigs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here