Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long gone Brighton bands/Lost venues

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yep, should read 90 Buckingham Rd, as that's where we lived at that time. 29234 was our old number as I recall, but may have changed when he move up the road. Phil his brother, my uncle, runs www.punkbrighton.co.uk

90 Buckingham Road is indeed the full address in my scabby address book (I didn't post it in case he still lives there!). Pretty safe to post his old phone number tho eh - which was 21713 :lol:

MCW

Jan 5, 2012
Did you ever get chased by the Teds from the Richmond? Or the Lewes Road Inn?

No but then I knew a few of the Darts/Rocky Sharpe and the Razors-replays,Mary Wilson crew,just the music I could not stand not the people.

Atomic Rooster got a mention on this thread,they were the first Gig I went to (1972 ish).Played the Dome with Atomic Rooster so they must have been in full decline to play the pub scene in the 80's

No mention yet for The Hungry Years,saw a few bands there but had great nights in the upstairs club and the Public bar round the corner had some of the most reliable Dope dealers in Brighton.

Western Bar and The Norfolk deserve a credit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This thread reminds me of exactly why I moved to Brighton after spending just about every weekend escaping down here from the Medway Towns to see a fantastic array of punk bands in a fantastic selection of venues.

I remember Jon very well, he was a great guitar picker. Is he still around?

He certainly was, played the lute and guitar with a folk group based in Hove called the Brighthelmstones. We lost touch when I was moved away with work in 1977 (I was with Beecham Pharm, initially at the Worthing site at Clarendon Road).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This thread reminds me of exactly why I moved to Brighton after spending just about every weekend escaping down here from the Medway Towns to see a fantastic array of punk bands in a fantastic selection of venues.

Not surprised you moved from Medway, where did you live?

scooter1

How soon is now?
90 Buckingham Road is indeed the full address in my scabby address book (I didn't post it in case he still lives there!). Pretty safe to post his old phone number tho eh - which was 21713 :lol:
Ha, that building was crumbling when we moved out, an he'd jumped ship up Leopold Rd to 24 Dyke Road long before then. He's been in Southern Spain for the last 15 years, but yes 21713 sounds familiar. I used to love those days, going to rehearsals and sound checks. And my first drum kit was the gold Premier kit used by the Piranhas until Tom Hark kicked off, and they got a decent advance from Sire

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not surprised you moved from Medway, where did you live?

Parkwood estate in Rainham, then a village called Lower Halstow just outside Rainham. Used to be open season on punks if you dared stray into Chatham or Gillingham. Dockyard at one end, army barracks at the other end, normal mass of neanderthal chavs (before the word was invented) in the middle. It was pretty shit.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
He certainly was, played the lute and guitar with a folk group based in Hove called the Brighthelmstones. We lost touch when I was moved away with work in 1977 (I was with Beecham Pharm, initially at the Worthing site at Clarendon Road).

Good lord, my Mum worked at Beecham pharm! It truly is a small world.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Parkwood estate in Rainham, then a village called Lower Halstow just outside Rainham. Used to be open season on punks if you dared stray into Chatham or Gillingham. Dockyard at one end, army barracks at the other end, normal mass of neanderthal chavs (before the word was invented) in the middle. It was pretty shit.

My eldest son and my daughter live in Rainham, to be fair it's better than Chatham and Gillingham.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Did the Brighton Recourse Center get used as a live venue before the NF burnt it down.
Yes, with the Vault underneath as well. The Vault had locked rehearsal rooms that bands used, but we're frequently broken into
I got taken to an early Piranhas gig at the Vault where I fell asleep. I was then put in the car up the road to sleep, on my own. I would have been 5 or 6 years old. I couldn't imagine leaving my son, who is 5, asleep in a car if it wasn't directly in my line of sight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here