Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Wickham

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From the Peterlee Star:

SUNDERLAND are set a land a central midfielder before the transfer window closes – either Liam Bridcutt OR Ever Banega, but not both.

And it emerged Connor Wickham could be the key to Gus Poyet getting the man he wants.

Poyet has already added three new players to his squad this January – on loan Fiorentina full-back Marcos Alonso, and Argentinian duo Oscar Ustari and Santiago Vergini.

Now he is closing in on a fourth – another Argentinian, Internacionale’s versatile attacker Ignaciio Scocco in a £4million deal.

And he plans more arrivals before the window closes with Bridcutt and Banega firmly on his radar.

But the Black Cats’ boss is looking to strengthen specifically, rather than recruit a job lot of players, and intends to bring in only one central midfielder before the transfer window closes in little more than 72 hours time.

His first choice is Bridcutt, who Poyet worked closely with in his time as Brighton boss, and he believes the 24-year-old would fit perfectly into the style of play he wants to develop at Sunderland.

A firm bid, in excess of £2million, has been made by Sunderland though that was rejected by Brighton.

Brighton are determined to get more than the money offered so far from Sunderland – pointing out that Poyet himself described Bridcutt as “a £5million player” during his time at the Amex Stadium.

However, there could be a compromise in the form of Wickham going out on loan to the south coast club as a makeweight in the deal.

Brighton are on the lookout for a striker to reinforce their options up front as they look to maintain a push for the play-offs.

And the Seagulls might be tempted to take Sunderland’s offer for the midfielder if it means getting a proven Championship finisher in Wickham as part of the deal.

The England Under-21 ace – scorer of eight goals in 12 league games during his time on loan at Sheffield Wednesday – could be loaned out to Brighton until the end of the season.

Wickham was recalled by Sunderland yesterday, two days before his loan at the Owls was due to end – and before he was due to play for them against Millwall tonight.

That indicates Poyet has a plan for the 20-year-old, and it could be that he is used as bait to tempt Brighton to sell Bridcutt.

The Wearsiders however are determined not to be held to ransom and have opened up inquiries on another front, over Valencia midfielder Banega.

The Argentine has two dozen international caps under his belt and the 25-year-old would not come cheap.

But he suffered several injuries while at the Spanish club and they may be tempted to cash in on a player they paid Boca Juniors somewhere in the region of £16 million for five and a half years ago.

The Argentine has been watched by a number of Premier League clubs but Sunderland are prepared to up their interest if no progress is made on the Bridcutt transfer.

Looks like a loan for Wickham then.:confused:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Just can't see Wickham coming in a permanent deal. There is no way on earth we can get near those wages.

I imagine we are looking at cash with half a season loan to tempt us more.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I think there's perhaps an element of downplaying Bridder's (in particular) value to the club simply because we have accepted that he is going. An Ince and Bridcutt midfield pairing would have been sensational. And Will Buckley, at his best, is unplayable. I rather suspect that if they do both leave that in a couple of years time there will be revisionism on here due to vastly inflated transfer values. Having said that, it's up to the club to do the best deal available to us and Wickham would be a welcome addition, especially if it is a permanent signing at a realistic wage.

Buckley at his best might be unplayable, but on his off days he's also unplayable (but in another context). It's easier to build a team around the likes of Conway and Lua Lua because you know what to expect. I'm not suggesting Buckley is anything but a fine player, but his injuries are a major concern and there's a danger he could be plagued by them for the rest of his career. Hope I'm wrong on that, because he seems a very likeable bloke and yes he can be deadly when he's fully fit. It's just the can be bit that worries me....

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I completely understand your point (though Kaz has probably missed more games than Buckley through injury.) Conway is a safer pair of hands and Buckley is more the maverick type. It depends what you need at the time I guess. Conway will never be a £5m player, Buckley could well be worth more than that in time. We shall see.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
One of those articles suggests that Sunderland will not up their bid of 2m for Bridcutt. So how many on here would be happy with 2m plus Connor Wickham on loan for the rest of the season?
Worth remembering that Sheff Wed, play a vastly different style of football to us and their is no guarantee Wickham will be so effective in our style, then again our style may suit him even better

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't see any negativity in Wickham on a loan until the summer: we'd have a great chance to make the play offs with him and Leo playing together; there's no long term commitment to high wages; and we'd have a pot of cash to spend on Conway with plenty left over to spend in the summer.

If - and it's a big IF - we got promoted, there's a good chance we'd be able to afford him on a permanent deal as he'd only have 1 year left on his current contract.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
One of those articles suggests that Sunderland will not up their bid of 2m for Bridcutt. So how many on here would be happy with 2m plus Connor Wickham on loan for the rest of the season?
Worth remembering that Sheff Wed, play a vastly different style of football to us and their is no guarantee Wickham will be so effective in our style, then again our style may suit him even better

If Sunderland are only prepared to pay £2 million for Bridcutt then that is ridiculous. Poyet himself said he was worth £5 million.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd be delighted if Wickham comes down to us but didn't Sunderland pay 12M for him? maybe I'm wrong but if they did it's a big loss for them

Not unheard of for them though, didn't they release Craig Gordan after making him the costliest British goalkeeper?

albionite

May 20, 2009
I don't see any negativity in Wickham on a loan until the summer: we'd have a great chance to make the play offs with him and Leo playing together; there's no long term commitment to high wages; and we'd have a pot of cash to spend on Conway with plenty left over to spend in the summer.

If - and it's a big IF - we got promoted, there's a good chance we'd be able to afford him on a permanent deal as he'd only have 1 year left on his current contract.

How can you not see a negative. What happens if Wickham picks up a injury within weeks of signing on loan for the rest of the season? We have just lost Bridcutt on the cheap and nothing to show for it. At least signing Wickham on a permanent means he has a sell on value.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Unless its a permenant deal for Wickham I really dont see the point.

We already have 2 strikers that play the exact same role that he does. Why would we need a 3rd !?
He cant play either side of Ulloa. And before anyone says it, we wont play 2 up top.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If Sunderland are only prepared to pay £2 million for Bridcutt then that is ridiculous. Poyet himself said he was worth £5 million.
Absolutely, if Wickham is only on loan they are effectively asking us to pay 3m to loan him for half a season

How can you not see a negative. What happens if Wickham picks up a injury within weeks of signing on loan for the rest of the season? We have just lost Bridcutt on the cheap and nothing to show for it. At least signing Wickham on a permanent means he has a sell on value.

Totally agree, if hes injured or just doesnt fit our style he will be a huge waste of money and we wont get another chance to sell bridcutt.

And what about Buckley? Where does he fit in to all this?

Not a good deal imo if its a loan

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Unless its a permenant deal for Wickham I really dont see the point.

We already have 2 strikers that play the exact same role that he does. Why would we need a 3rd !?
He cant play either side of Ulloa. And before anyone says it, we wont play 2 up top.

We have games when we struggle up front . Derby instantly springs to mind. I think the 1 up top needs to evolve a bit . If we could somehow get Wickham functioning in it then it should mean us having a higher conversion rate which at the moment does cost us points

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I completely understand your point (though Kaz has probably missed more games than Buckley through injury.) Conway is a safer pair of hands and Buckley is more the maverick type. It depends what you need at the time I guess. Conway will never be a £5m player, Buckley could well be worth more than that in time. We shall see.

Fair point, though when declared fit, Kaz always looks up for it. Buckley has also been declared fit, played, and looked a pale imitation of the guy who starred in our first season back in the Championship. Which takes me back to the 'unpredictability' bit and how that can destabilise our team/formation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here