Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Wickham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Other than all those games we won 1-0 or by the odd goal, as a direct result of Bridders 'keeping us in it'.
When exposed by his absence, the defence used to look shocking.

That has clearly been sorted this season though and I am astounded how little we have missed him.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I'd be delighted if Wickham comes down to us but didn't Sunderland pay 12M for him? maybe I'm wrong but if they did it's a big loss for them

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
It would be great if we got Wickham on a permanent.

Disappointed if it was a loan as it just another way for Poyet to sabotage our play-off campaign again!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It would be great if we got Wickham on a permanent.

Disappointed if it was a loan as it just another way for Poyet to sabotage our play-off campaign again!

I agree. But we all know the quality of Bridcutt. Buckley is pretty good too. If Zaha can go for £10 million for starters, why can't we geta decent amount for those two. I am almost starting to believe it may happen.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can't imagine Sunderland are going to want to give away a free scoring (albeit at Championship level), English under 21 international striker in exchange for just a defensive midfielder who has spent the last six months injured and is completely unproven at anything higher than a play off challenging second tier club

Wickham could be the man to get us the goals that take us into the top flight and if he fulfills his undoubted potential his resale value could be huge. However good Buckley is/was/could be, he won't do that so if he has to be included in the deal to make it happen then so be it

Did I actually say that? No! A deal involving I said.

Aug 23, 2011
I reckon that if we add up the Bridcutt, Buckley and Barnes wages, we are not far off covering Wickham's ask.

That maybe true however its not as simple as that because if we agree to pay him loads in wages then other team members say "hey why is he earning so much more than me" and so want to negotiate a better wage for themselves and so it snowballs

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Couldn't that be mitigated with a large signing on fee?

Possibly, but maybe not. If you pay a large signing on fee, and then small wages during his four year contract, where is his motivation to stay and do a good job towards the end of that contract length? If his "head is not in the right place" after only 18 months or so, we'll have been totally shafted.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Other than all those games we won 1-0 or by the odd goal, as a direct result of Bridders 'keeping us in it'.
When exposed by his absence, the defence used to look shocking.

No. Of course.

Not for one moment am I suggesting he isn't quality. He is excellent.

But, traditionally, defensive midfielders don't get the big bucks in transfer fees as they are not the glamourous "match winner" showreel players.. They just don't. Same as Goalkeeper are arguably the biggest match winners of all....but don't get recognised in the same catagory as strikers and wingers when it comes to demanding big fees.

I don't want to lose Bridcutt, But would I take £3m for a 24 year old defensive midfielder who never scores and has never played in the prem? Yes I would.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Possibly, but maybe not. If you pay a large signing on fee, and then small wages during his four year contract, where is his motivation to stay and do a good job towards the end of that contract length? If his "head is not in the right place" after only 18 months or so, we'll have been totally shafted.

I was thinking more of a large signing on fee coupled with a wage that would be commensurate with the other top players at the club. Then, perhaps, the chance for disquiet would be lessened.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If we get Wickham it will be an amazing signing,he has carried Sheffield Wednesday since he went there and is a very very good player,i will believe it when I see it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No chance of getting wickham permanently. This deal would be Bridcutt to Sunderland / wickham on loan to us until end of season +3m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here