Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Wickham

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect Buckley not training with the squad is because he was talking with his agent.
Wickham and Carayol ................ just a midfielder and a centreback needed as grist to the rumour mill.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This I like.

Bridcutt ( who has gone basically ) , and Buckley for Wickham.

NOT Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa for Wickham + cash.

Think you're right here. I haven't seen enough of Wickham to comment, but a sufficient number of the better NSC posters rate him highly, but Bridcutt -- as you say -- has had his head turned, and Buckley is too injury-prone and inconsistent when fit for me.
If it does happen, the big question is how do Ulloa and Wickham fit into a 4-3-3/4-5-1, especially given that there's no tangible sign that Oscar will deviate from this system, despite what so many on NSC want.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All sounds too good to be true to me. We exchange an injury prone player who seldom strings more than three games together and a midfielder, who we've managed to cope quite well without this season, for a free scoring forward? We also sign a new winger in Conway or A N Other? I'll believe it when it happens, if it does I will be certain that TB has the Midas touch.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
All sounds too good to be true to me. We exchange an injury prone player who seldom strings more than three games together and a midfielder, who we've managed to cope quite well without this season, for a free scoring forward? we also sign a new winger in Conway or A N Other? I'll believe it when it happens, if it does I will be certain that TB has the Midas touch.

Not saying it will happen, but Poyet obviously wants his ex players badly. I think he would happy enough to jettison someone he has loaned out the entire time he has been there to help seal the deal.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not saying it will happen, but Poyet obviously wants his ex players badly. I think he would happy enough to jettison someone he has loaned out the entire time he has been there to help seal the deal.

Hope so, although I would have thought Poyet may have learned something about getting rid of proven goal scorers after Murray, maybe not.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Really?? What makes you say that?

Wickham cost them 8m and is still only 20 and tearing up the championship; I'd be surprised that Sunderland would value him less than Bridcutt+Buckey. There's also the issue of his current 25k a week wages: I can't see us committing to paying them for more than 5 months.

cybergu11y

Jun 16, 2011
We've done alright without Bridcutt and Buckley for large parts of the season so far. If we get Wickham in return for losing those two then I can live with that

I'd still like to see a DMF replacement for bridcutt, cover for Ince and allowing him to play further forward.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
IF this does happen, Wickham hasn't played in the FA Cup this season, which is proper canny like.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Is it just me but I really cant see us taking Wickham.

Where will he play ?..... surely he would have to play the Ulloa role... and we already have Obika as back up for that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still people forgetting how good Buckley is / was. Why not just a deal involving Wickham and Bridcutt?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All sounds too good to be true to me. We exchange an injury prone player who seldom strings more than three games together and a midfielder, who we've managed to cope quite well without this season, for a free scoring forward? We also sign a new winger in Conway or A N Other? I'll believe it when it happens, if it does I will be certain that TB has the Midas touch.

This. The good thing is that Poyet seems to have a blind spot when it comes to strikers. So given Bloom's poker tendencies and Poyet's inability to see true value in a good striker, we will no doubt end up with a tidy deal out of this. Fingers crossed, but I'd LOVE Wickham down here.

They're in a right strop over this on the Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: board.

Still people forgetting how good Buckley is / was. Why not just a deal involving Wickham and Bridcutt?
Buckley is a great player when he plays. But he simply doesn't play enough.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Mixed emotions about this.

Of course, it will be sad to see Bridders and Buckley leave. The latter has looked a shadow of his former self this season. In fact the same can be said about Bridcutt when he's been available too. It will be interesting to see how they do in the Prem.

Bridcutt I'm sure will flourish given the chance and from what I've heard Cattermole might be on his way to Stoke, which paves the way for him to slot straight in. It will certainly be interesting watching him line up against Yaya Toure! Buckley, well for me this is a similar situation to Nooney, who I thought would struggle jumping up a level. I'm pleased he has proved me wrong and I'm hoping Buckley does the same. Injuries will obviously play a big factor. I wonder what sort of sell-on clause we may be entitled to as well?

If it does happen, then I suggest we either move Orlandi more central or get another creative mid in to link up with both Wickham and Ulloa. Easier said than done, I know. If Conway does come in then I do see Orlandi shifting more central.

And finally, on the other-hand and looking at the big national picture; Sunderland it seems have signed this 28-year old Argentinian who I can't say I've ever heard of whilst a promising 20-year old English striker who plays for our Under-21 national side gets squeezed out of performing at the highest level and drops down to the Championship. Another nail in the coffin of our national side. Let's hope, if this deal does happen, we get up there so he can live up to the expectations that he was greeted with when at Ipswich. He is a talent and I hope we can give him a solid platform on which to perform.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I don't want us to sell Wickham but if he does go then Bridcutt and Buckley in exchange seems reasonable, and there's nowhere I'd rather Wickham went than B&HA.
By the way, I've never heard a dickie bird about any interest in Ulloa at our end, it just seems to be a fear on here.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If it does happen, the big question is how do Ulloa and Wickham fit into a 4-3-3/4-5-1, especially given that there's no tangible sign that Oscar will deviate from this system, despite what so many on NSC want.

That's my question. Sounds like an amazing signing but neither he nor Ulloa are the type of players to play wide in a front three and I can't see either being happy to be back up. So, to my mind, if this happens we're probably either tweaking the formation or selling Ulloa.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
QUOTE=Marshy;6157025]Is it just me but I really cant see us taking Wickham.

Where will he play ?..... surely he would have to play the Ulloa role... and we already have Obika as back up for that.[/QUOTE]

At the moment he would TAKE the Ulloa role :ohmy:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

I can't imagine Sunderland are going to want to give away a free scoring (albeit at Championship level), English under 21 international striker in exchange for just a defensive midfielder who has spent the last six months injured and is completely unproven at anything higher than a play off challenging second tier club

Wickham could be the man to get us the goals that take us into the top flight and if he fulfills his undoubted potential his resale value could be huge. However good Buckley is/was/could be, he won't do that so if he has to be included in the deal to make it happen then so be it

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Still people forgetting how good Buckley is / was.

When fit, remind me of the last 5 games that he played a blinder and I'll bet you'll probably have to go back to the season before last to get all five in..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here