Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Gay Festival for Brighton.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's true but any minority interest will always have a better chance of funding. I used to see the same thing while trying to get funding for films years ago. If the subject wasn't community or minority related you'd never get funding.

My own point of view is that Pride is quite an important event for various reasons and if it needs financial help then so be it. Let's face it money gets wasted on many things at least Pride brings a bit of joy into people's lives, albeit extremely camp and mildy irritating joy.

What really annoyed me about Pride's historic financial difficulties was the lack of support from local businesses that benefitted hugely from the event being held. I remember seeing in it's list of donors that Dr Brighton's donated the princely sum of £100 one year. Just consider for a moment the amount of revenue that Dr. Brighton's makes from Pride and not just on the weekend itself.

All sorts of other businesses were quite happy to take the benefits but not contribute hotels, pubs, restaurants, off licences, taxis, nightclubs etc... It was shameful that they got to the point where they had to take public money and charge an entry fee.

Anyway slight O/T, sorry.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What's tired about it? Still relevant isn't it?
To my knowledge never been answered, so still being asked.
I'm guessing it would be rejected/banned for being homophobic. But still never been answered.

Why would there need to be a heterosexual pride event/movement when we've not been discriminated against, harassed, persecuted and, in some cultures, murdered for our sexual preference?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If it's a national event, rather than a local one, shouldn't it be held in Birmingham (or somewhere else central)?

That's a curious question. Brighton's economy relies on a number of national events (party conferences, snooker championships, exhibitions etc.) If they were all to go elsewhere it would be a disaster.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What form would a 'heterosexual festival' take?

Agree with your thinking, in the same way what form does a gay festival take? I don't see a difference.
It just the organisers deemed it a gay festival, rather than just a festival, so why aim the market primarily at the gay community rather than everyone?
I know you will say everyone is welcome as they are, so they should be promoting it as. "Festival" rather than a gay festival.
It's the organisers that are drawing a distinction, it's this reasoning I'm questioning.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This event is targeting the gay community but is open to all. Conversely there are plenty of events around the nation which target a straight crowd but are open to all; they use the term 'gay friendly' to advertise themselves.

I don't think it's quite right to say that events target a straight crowd, I don't think the sexuality of the ticket buyer has been given a moments thought for most events - promotors want to sell tickets, being straight or gay doesn't even come into it.

I think this is why people get confused. The gay events are primarily a gathering for like minded people i.e they are all gay, but they have to throw a music event in as a kicker otherwise what the hell else are they going to do! Other interest groups do it and nobody complains. There's a big festival every year aimed at bikers where they book decent bands and DJs, I bet there's no moral outrage about that. I don't like motorbikes but I'm sure I could just turn up if I bought a ticket and nonody would complain.

I really don't understand why people get themselves in a tizz over this stuff :shrug:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree with your thinking, in the same way what form does a gay festival take? I don't see a difference.
It just the organisers deemed it a gay festival, rather than just a festival, so why aim the market primarily at the gay community rather than everyone?
I know you will say everyone is welcome as they are, so they should be promoting it as. "Festival" rather than a gay festival.
It's the organisers that are drawing a distinction, it's this reasoning I'm questioning.

Probably because the artists, entertainment, stalls and other paraphernalia will be based around what the various LGBTQ communities are into.

Everyone would be welcome - the discrimination would be if you had to justify your sexuality before you went in - but on the understanding that this is what is going to be there.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
That's a curious question. Brighton's economy relies on a number of national events (party conferences, snooker championships, exhibitions etc.) If they were all to go elsewhere it would be a disaster.

My comment was referring, solely, to the event, in question, which is aimed at students, who are, historically, strapped for cash. A central location would make more sense for travel costs, particularly students coming from the north.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank you,that makes sense, are there any gay unfriendly events?

Ah. I think I finally understand where you're coming from now. You seem to confusing the targeting of a group with prohibiting a group. This new festival does not prohibit straight people, and neither do most straight events prohibit gays because, as you quite rightly point out, this is wrong.

Oh, and are their any gay unfriendly events......lots I'd say.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Another chance for HB&B to wear lederhosen ?

bruno%20hotpants%20sm.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here