Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Gay Festival for Brighton.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Good work. 3rd post in and we have this tired and simple argument.

What's tired about it? Still relevant isn't it?
To my knowledge never been answered, so still being asked.
I'm guessing it would be rejected/banned for being homophobic. But still never been answered.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
None of these events should be free. Why should the people who don't want to attend these things. Have there lives disrupted by it, and foot the bill for the pleasure??? These sort of events should pay for themselves. It shouldn't be the tax payers bill.

Because the benefits and income it would bring to the area would be more than what the council are actually spending.

If your going to make people pay, then less will attend which will affect the local economy.

As for this festival thing, it won't just be for LGBT people, much like pride.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If you build it, they will cum.

Seriously though, it looks to be promoting students and providing an environment to come and be themselves in safety. Welcome! :)

And regarding this 'promoting heterosexuality' nonsense, the LGBT are a minority, around 15% of the community. Why promote a majority, there's no need. Anyone is welcome to this and Pride.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I hope this man gets to attend:

homosexual.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm guessing it would be rejected/banned for being homophobic. But still never been answered.

What form would a 'heterosexual festival' take?

What would be the defining attractions at such an event that would make it work?

THAT has never been answered.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Seeing as the same argument has been trotted out I'll give the same answer as always. All of these minority events, or any event for that matter, start with somebody having the idea and putting it in motion. There is nothing stopping people of heterosexual persuasion doing exactly the same. I doubt you'd get any funding for it for many reasons but if one felt strongly enough that heterosexuals needed an event I'm sure it could be done.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

What would be the defining attractions at such an event that would make it work?

There isa heterosexual festival. It takes place in the Hollingbury public house every day between 11 am and 11 pm and involves heavy drinking, smoking and pool playing in your clothes.

There is nothing remotely Gay or even slightly joyous about The Hollingbury.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This event is targeting the gay community but is open to all. Conversely there are plenty of events around the nation which target a straight crowd but are open to all; they use the term 'gay friendly' to advertise themselves.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

So what is homosexual about getting pissed up? Which is what the new 'festival' seems to be about.

Its just a money making exersise, with the LGBTQ 'community' as its target. Nothing wrong with that. But its sound like its just a big old piss up and a pub crawl.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How about a pensioners festival where everyone over 60 gets free beer?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Seeing as the same argument has been trotted out I'll give the same answer as always. All of these minority events, or any event for that matter, start with somebody having the idea and putting it in motion. There is nothing stopping people of heterosexual persuasion doing exactly the same. I doubt you'd get any funding for it for many reasons but if one felt strongly enough that heterosexuals needed an event I'm sure it could be done.

But most of thiose make money and aren't balied out after they go bust. Gay festivals in Brighton seem to struggle to pay their debts.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But most of thiose make money and aren't balied out after they go bust. Gay festivals in Brighton seem to struggle to pay their debts.

That's true but any minority interest will always have a better chance of funding. I used to see the same thing while trying to get funding for films years ago. If the subject wasn't community or minority related you'd never get funding.

My own point of view is that Pride is quite an important event for various reasons and if it needs financial help then so be it. Let's face it money gets wasted on many things at least Pride brings a bit of joy into people's lives, albeit extremely camp and mildy irritating joy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here