Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trouble at t'Palace

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Think Prince Charming is actually (unfortunately) doing the right thing here by refusing to sign donkeys on high wages

Quite. It's donkeys on low wages all the way.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I think its fair to say we did a bit of panic buying in the summer. Certainly the likes of Marange was clearly a mistake. I would say however that the article seems pretty much rubbish. Anytime it quotes a 'pal' it tends to be. Forgetting its palace a second would you believe it as fact if an article quoted unnamed sources about anything else?

For me, we do need to win the hull game as we are about to play arsenal away and we can't expect any points from that. We win it then we'll be maybe 5 or 6 places off relegation with momentum going into the arsenal game. Either way it won't be easy though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think its fair to say we did a bit of panic buying in the summer. Certainly the likes of Marange was clearly a mistake. I would say however that the article seems pretty much rubbish. Anytime it quotes a 'pal' it tends to be. Forgetting its palace a second would you believe it as fact if an article quoted unnamed sources about anything else?

For me, we do need to win the hull game as we are about to play arsenal away and we can't expect any points from that. We win it then we'll be maybe 5 or 6 places off relegation with momentum going into the arsenal game. Either way it won't be easy though.

After Hull you only have 2 winnable games on paper left , West Ham and Fulham.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
We only really need to win 6 more games. Its doable . Not easy but doable. We win the 3 you mentioned then we only need 9 more points out of 12 or so games. Doable but not easy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Wurzel and the "backroom boys" got a £4M promotion bonus , Wurzel got a £2M leaving present , £1.5M on ground improvements to reach minimum Premier League standards , **** knows how much the cladding cost , the Croydon Advertiser says the entire wages bill for the club shot up to £18M by the end of last season so if it has trebled this season it wont be anywhere near £30M. What will the Met Police be charging for policing costs on matchdays ? Parish wont let Pulis spend another £25M on a half a dozen has beens on £30k a week for 3 years.

Does make you wonder if the concept of 'breaking even', based on income generated / expenditure incurred within the Club is familiar to our friends up the road? Exclude all that Barclays Premiership cash and where would they stand then? Its a very artificial existence.

It might be great fun to 'live for the moment' but not when someone else unconnected with the Club is writing the cheques. The Premiership business model is highly inefficient and at some point there has to be a day of reckoning.

I feel more comfortable with Tony Bloom's approach. He is 'The Albion', it's his money at risk and he has a long term strategy to deal with that. Most of his investment is in bricks and mortar so giving us the right infrastructure and substantial assets. By comparison what he has spent on the team is small beer. He wants our routine operating costs to be self funded. In the short term he is demanding that the Club complies with FFP, even then it won't be easy. I imagine we are in for another operating loss of at least £8m, but at least TB is trying to rein that in. Most importantly he is not allowing profligate spending on transfers and wages. Shrewd deals with players like Noone, Barnes and probably Bridcutt all brought in very cheaply and sold on for handsome profits fund much of our recent and forthcoming transfer business. His main focus is on a more sustainable medium/long term approach based on the new training complex and creating more home grown talent, which has to be the way forward

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We only really need to win 6 more games. Its doable . Not easy but doable. We win the 3 you mentioned then we only need 9 more points out of 12 or so games. Doable but not easy.

At a push you might get 5 or 6 draws from those remaining games , 9 points might be too ambitious at the end of the day.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Does make you wonder if the concept of 'breaking even', based on income generated / expenditure incurred within the Club is familiar to our friends up the road? Exclude all that Barclays Premiership cash and where would they stand then? Its a very artificial existence.

It might be great fun to 'live for the moment' but not when someone else unconnected with the Club is writing the cheques. The Premiership business model is highly inefficient and at some point there has to be a day of reckoning.

I feel more comfortable with Tony Bloom's approach. He is 'The Albion', it's his money at risk and he has a long term strategy to deal with that. Most of his investment is in bricks and mortar so giving us the right infrastructure and substantial assets. By comparison what he has spent on the team is small beer. He wants our routine operating costs to be self funded. In the short term he is demanding that the Club complies with FFP, even then it won't be easy. I imagine we are in for another operating loss of at least £8m, but at least TB is trying to rein that in. Most importantly he is not allowing profligate spending on transfers and wages. Shrewd deals with players like Noone, Barnes and probably Bridcutt all brought in very cheaply and sold on for handsome profits fund much of our recent and forthcoming transfer business. His main focus is on a more sustainable medium/long term approach based on the new training complex and creating more home grown talent, which has to be the way forward

We maybe posting an operating loss double what was expected if the accountants are doing their job properly :wink: FFP and all that.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I won't lie, might be too much of a stretch but if we manage to nick a goal here or there then we could do it. Certainly we've done far better than anyone here (or if I'm honest on the HOL and the BBS) reckoned we would.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Wurzel and the "backroom boys" got a £4M promotion bonus , Wurzel got a £2M leaving present , £1.5M on ground improvements to reach minimum Premier League standards , **** knows how much the cladding cost , the Croydon Advertiser says the entire wages bill for the club shot up to £18M by the end of last season so if it has trebled this season it wont be anywhere near £30M. What will the Met Police be charging for policing costs on matchdays ? Parish wont let Pulis spend another £25M on a half a dozen has beens on £30k a week for 3 years.

The promotion bonuses were included on last seasons accounts, which have been published.
Ollie getting a £2 mill payoff after he walked away ? Haven't read that anywhere,was it from your source ??
We got a stadium sponsor this season which is paying a lot towards stadium improvements ( don't know about the cladding )
The police bill won't be as high as last season ( three big derbies last season which resulted in most of the met being on standby it seemed)
Anyway, enough of our financial affairs, when are your record losses being announced ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The promotion bonuses were included on last seasons accounts, which have been published.
Ollie getting a £2 mill payoff after he walked away ? Haven't read that anywhere,was it from your source ??
We got a stadium sponsor this season which is paying a lot towards stadium improvements ( don't know about the cladding )
The police bill won't be as high as last season ( three big derbies last season which resulted in most of the met being on standby it seemed)
Anyway, enough of our financial affairs, when are your record losses being announced ?

Nearly all League managers who leave by mutual consent get a payoff commensurate with what time was left on their contract otherwise they take legal action , the £2M was mentioned on BBS . Our losses will be announced in March and won't look very good :cry:

Jan 30, 2008
I won't lie, might be too much of a stretch but if we manage to nick a goal here or there then we could do it. Certainly we've done far better than anyone here (or if I'm honest on the HOL and the BBS) reckoned we would.
why not **** off back there then and try and convince them :wink:
regards
DR

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I'm a missionary to tryand convert the ignorant here Fairy ;)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

This thread is not about our next set of accounts. There will be a long thread on that around March time when they are published. They may or may not be record losses, but let's wait and see, and the real issue is how Tony feels about the loss levels, not what the actual figure is.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You must be at least 16/1 to win those three games - good luck with that.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
This thread is not about our next set of accounts. There will be a long thread on that around March time when they are published. They may or may not be record losses, but let's wait and see, and the real issue is how Tony feels about the loss levels, not what the actual figure is.

Quite. I suspect our figures won't be pretty but also not in the same league as many rivals. As a businessman I suspect Tony won't be happy - but also realistic about how losses can occur within a dynamic and growing operation. I'm sure that Tony could cover our losses if he chooses to but he seems to want an honest and transparent approach.

More importantly we aren't fuelling the fire with a profligate transfer and wage strategy. He knows our financial direction of travel and what we are doing about reining in losses is far more important.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think our financials will show a significant improvement. They will cover the 2nd season at the Amex when our capacity increased to what it is now. Season tickets sales and costs were increased. A reduction in operating costs of close to 2million was quoted at the time. Price of transport was added to tickets. Revenue from marketing has increased considerably. Player costs will show an increase but not enough to surpass these improvements. I would estimate a loss overall of 4-5 million.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anything but a win against Hull at home on Tuesday and I think the BBS will go into meltdown.
Especially if they have still not been able to sign anyone in time for the game.

A win for Hull on Tuesday would be welcome, with the added bonus that it should clense this board for a while.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know it's not really fair to quote from the BBS as the poster has no right of reply, but this was an inspired thought from the thread linked in post 1, which I didn't expect...

...because the board want to piss about playing backseat manager then our long-term strategy will clearly be to make ourselves the headless chicken of the league...

Perhaps that really is the truth of it..?

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Has crumbling 18th Shithurst Park been 'Clad All Over' or have they just tidied up some of the shittier bits?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

It's doable. Ok, let's imagine that you defeat Fulham AND West Ham...both of whom are as shit as you you will probably scrape them by one goal. HULL are marginally less shit than you so my money is on either a draw or loss. You will then (probably) still have a hefty goal difference deficit going in to the other 12 games and, with the best will in the world, I can't see where the fabled 9 points are coming from as the competition ramps up.

You will possibly come close-ish. But really...I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here