Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Port Vale player ratings

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes, good post.

I think Dunk needs to spend a season away, perhaps somewhere like MK Dons, Sheff Utd, Preston or similar where they try to pass.

Our next CB signing has to be a pacey one. ?Zak Knight........

I don't know why we haven't raided Bolton given their financial difficulties, can only be no being able to match their wage structure I assume.

Bolton arent in much of a different position to us in that all their debt is owed to one person. It has been overhyped
Think they are selling Ngog which will help them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You mean Upson, highest rated on here in two of the last five matches. Upson, second only to Ince for season average rating (after 6 or more appearances). Is that the Upson that no one is giving any recognition to?

Acker, you like to deal in stats and numbers, I prefer words and concepts. Both are fine. My comments were largely informed by the words used on NSC, rather than the numbers, hence my comparison with Bridge. Since you invoke numbers, don't you think it's surprising that Upson is second, and not first in terms of season average rating? The only player that comes close to him this season is Crofts and, unfortunately, we've lost him for the rest of the season. I love Ince, and it's been thrilling to watch his development, but I think your stats illustrate my point more than you think they do.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Acker, you like to deal in stats and numbers, I prefer words and concepts. Both are fine. My comments were largely informed by the words used on NSC, rather than the numbers, hence my comparison with Bridge. Since you invoke numbers, don't you think it's surprising that Upson is second, and not first in terms of season average rating? The only player that comes close to him this season is Crofts and, unfortunately, we've lost him for the rest of the season. I love Ince, and it's been thrilling to watch his development, but I think your stats illustrate my point more than you think they do.

I think everyone appreciates what an impact Upson has had and how well he's played. The issue, as is often the case, is if a player always plays well nobody really talks about it. Upson consistency in the year he's been here has been amazing and I think everyone rates him, even if they don't rave about him.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What are you talking about?

People have been saying how good Upson has been for us for quite a while on here now. To imply yourself and two others are the only to recognise this is utterly ridiculous!

:lolol: I was thinking the same.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't just deal in stats and numbers, those numbers often, as the number you quoted above, come with comments. Lots of people have been very complimentary of Upson. There are plenty of people who give Upson the recognition he deserves in more ways than just numbers, you and Walt are not alone.

No, I don't find it surprising he isn't first, because he is a defender and regular goal scorers or game running midfielders are the ones who tend to catch the eye more because of their involvement in the goals that bring us joy more than the preventing of goals defensive players do that bring us relief.

There is also the element of expectation. Knowing Upson and his pedigree, good performances are expected, whereas Ince is new and so young that his performances surprise people, so he gets a bit more attention.

But being second doesn't mean you aren't getting recognition, or not getting an appropriate amount.

If your point is Upson is very good and deserves a bit more praise than he gets, I'm not disputing that. But then, The same can be said for a lot of our players, partly because they haven't done the things that catch the eye, partly because some fans have already decided a player is going to fall short. What I was disputing is the claim that you and Walt (and now, finally, El Presidente) are the only who appreciate him. You're not. He has received lots of recognition.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I was there and in my opinion Obika was worth more than a 3. First full game in abysmal conditions, but it is all about opinions.

Fair enough. I only made the point as you get some people moan about ratings based on them listening to a commentary. And, not being there, I have not said 3 was or was not a fair rating for Obika, just that I don't think scoring a goal absolves a player from a crap game! As you say, it is opinions. Without them there wouldn't be this forum!!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, you may not. I demand a fight!

Good. I backed down a little too quickly there. You, sneakily, moved the ground of the debate away from the central point I was making. Granted, I offered you the opportunity to do this by poor wording -- which you seized on impressively -- which suggested that Walt was the only poster regularly recognising Upson's contribution.
So, anyway, back to the central point: why is there so much nostalgia for Bridge on NSC, and insufficient recognition of Upson? I think, hope, that I've got the wording right here, and also notice that it's a question where you can't pull some stats out of your hat to support some spurious counter-argument (but you've got so many stats to hand that you might defeat me on this one, too).
Oh, and it's a good draw by the way, and the three going to Cardiff does seem to open up the opportunity of us having a winger who can cross the ball effectively, and regularly effectively, whose injury record is somewhat better than our two speed twins.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
At last. Someone -- apart from Walt Jabsco -- recognises what a gem we have in Upson. I can't believe how his calm, consistency, reading of the game, heading ability, strength and resolve are not more widely recognised on NSC, in stark contrast to the nostalgia for Bridge.

I agree. Being an STH in the south-west corner, I always enjoy watching Upson at work when we are defending that end. He is class.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages - 7 votes

Starters
Upson 7.71
March 7.43 (84mins)
Ince 7.00
Orlandi 6.71
Chicksen 6.57
Calderon 6.29
Agustien 6.00 (73mins)
Forster-Caskey 5.86
Dunk 5.43
Brezovan 5.29
Obika 5.14

Subs
Andrews 6.14 (23mins)
Lualua 5.86 (12mins)

Squad Average - 6.26

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Port Vale on Saturday

From a very reliable source on the Liz Costa Love Bus....

...........apparently at one of their service station stops on the way to Port Vale, herself saw fans of another team (that I'm not going to divulge) returning to their coach with - shock, horror, a few tinnies of the alcoholic beverage kind.

She dialled 999 and screamed for a policeman.

I am so proud of the way she "represents" our club as leader of the supporters club (membership approx 300). Aren't you?

Rips

PS Sorry to hijack the thread, but seemed best place to put it!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Averages - 7 votes

Starters
Upson 7.71
March 7.43 (84mins)
Ince 7.00
Orlandi 6.71
Chicksen 6.57
Calderon 6.29
Agustien 6.00 (73mins)
Forster-Caskey 5.86
Dunk 5.43
Brezovan 5.29
Obika 5.14

Subs
Andrews 6.14 (23mins)
Lualua 5.86 (12mins)

Squad Average - 6.26

Shame the website whoscored.com don't offer player stats on FA cup games. I really wanted to check Forster-Caskey's for Saturday as from my vantage point he was probably our best player and I'm staggered his received a rating below 6.

He must have had a minimum of three shots on target, continually on the ball and instigating our attacks. One sublime dummy for Obika too.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Shame the website whoscored.com don't offer player stats on FA cup games. I really wanted to check Forster-Caskey's for Saturday as from my vantage point he was probably our best player and I'm staggered his received a rating below 6.

He must have had a minimum of three shots on target, continually on the ball and instigating our attacks. One sublime dummy for Obika too.

There are no player stats on espnsoccernet, either. There usually is, even for FA Cup games, so that might be more to do with a lack of AP coverage than a whoscored.com fa cup policy (do they have anything for the reading game?).

But going through the Commentary text there is no shot listed for JFC, and the shots listed all add up to the total shots count. He was the one who intercepted the Keeper's clearance and played through Obika.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
There are no player stats on espnsoccernet, either. There usually is, even for FA Cup games, so that might be more to do with a lack of AP coverage than a whoscored.com fa cup policy (do they have anything for the reading game?).

But going through the Commentary text there is no shot listed for JFC, and the shots listed all add up to the total shots count. He was the one who intercepted the Keeper's clearance and played through Obika.

He stung the keepers fingers with a long range effort second half which the keeper tipped over. Last kick of the game was a far weaker effort the keeper easily collected from a direct free kick. Can't remember the 3rd effort but pretty sure there was a 3rd attempt maybe it just missed the target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here