• 4 years prem under 40

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • fa cup win under 40

Votes: 54 28.7%

• Total voters

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The excitement of an FA Cup win for me. Happy for us to make the play-offs every year in the Championship - ie winning enough games to keep most people happy, avoiding the creeping realisation that life in the PL is hell with the prospect of lengthy losing streaks and the threat of financial meltdown not really offset by the visit of bigger clubs and increased media exposure. Yes, a good old-fashioned cup run for me - I've been enjoying our recent record in the Cup - it's a bit like old times.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Being 75 in the next couple of weeks,having seen every promotion team and being to the Cup Final...my heart says promotion but head says FA Cup....yer I know bleeding old wrinkly....hope you make it too...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm under 40 and voted for the FA Cup. The way the question is phrased, I'm quite surprised how many people have voted for the Premier League. Not that it's a realistic question but it would be interesting to see how the voting goes if it was win the cup or promotion, without any details of how we'd do in the top flight. I'd probably still go for the cup but it wouldn't be as clear cut a choice.

I'm intrigued by the age split though. I'm not sure that fans of teams in lower leagues love the cup any less if they're under 40. Maybe the top teams but not at our level. I love the FA Cup. I grew up watching cup finals with all the build up and 3rd round day is probably my favourite football day of the year, especially now we are always in it.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I voted for the cup win. Although it would be great to play in the Premiership, I think the novelty would wear off after a couple of seasons and it wouldn't feel a lot different to playing in the Championship after a while. However, winning the FA Cup would create a memory that would last a lifetime plus the European football the season after.

Feb 14, 2010
Neither likely this season (would love to be proved wrong) but there is no contest. With the FA Cup we double our major trophy haul for our history by adding to the Charity Shield / Champions of England 1910, the other, we just play in division 1, sorry "Premier League". FA Cup victory all the way. We will get back to the top flight one day but glory in the Cup is what it should be about for the Albion.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
F A cup win for me( I am over 40) I think we will play in the PL in the near future but I would love to see us win the cup.

I have just asked my 10 year old son and he said it was a tough question, but he would like us to win the F A Cup.
My wife also chipped in with us winning the cup.

Keith1969

May 18, 2013
Over 40 and its got to be the FA cup to make up for being a 14 year old who went to EVERY round in the 82/83 cup run and then couldnt get a ticket for the final because I lived in the North East and could queue for 1.I was gutted to say the least.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It's got to be the FA Cup. Winning trophies is what you dream of as a fan.

I'd love to see us go on an epic European tour the season after!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
over 40 and prem for me. There is nothing in the vote that says during our 4 year stay that we cant win the FA Cup and/or League cup is there? As a mid to bottom half Premier team chances are that an FA or League cup win could happen anyway

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
FA Cup win earns how much?

Long term future would be so much better if the money from 4 years in the Prem was invested wisely.

I am over 40, and would love to see us lift a trophy, but I also think we would have a better long term chance of doing this if we take the money away from some of our competitors.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Suspect (hope!) most people did the same as me and just voted without reading the small print first. How else to explain the stat that nearly 30% of under-40's would be happy with an FA Cup and never reaching the Premier League in their lifetime? ???

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I'm under 40 and voted for the FA Cup. The way the question is phrased, I'm quite surprised how many people have voted for the Premier League. Not that it's a realistic question but it would be interesting to see how the voting goes if it was win the cup or promotion, without any details of how we'd do in the top flight. I'd probably still go for the cup but it wouldn't be as clear cut a choice.

I'm intrigued by the age split though. I'm not sure that fans of teams in lower leagues love the cup any less if they're under 40. Maybe the top teams but not at our level. I love the FA Cup. I grew up watching cup finals with all the build up and 3rd round day is probably my favourite football day of the year, especially now we are always in it.

I'm sure you're right about the less privileged caring more for tradition and the pursuit of glory. However, I think it is a graduated rather than an absolute division. Perhaps there are 4 crude groupings. The higher the grouping, the more interested in CL, PL and money because that is what they need to stand still. FA Cup glory will never pay £50m wage bills.

1. half a dozen teams for whom CL qualifying is the benchmark for a successful season and FAC is a reserve team competition. Yesterday's winnings will pay Rooney's new wages for about 3 days.

2. the other 14 PL clubs for whom survival is the benchmark of success and FAC not worth risking injury to any players. Yesterdays's winnings might pay one of their player's wages for about 10-15 days.

3. 15 other teams who think their rightful place is in the prem (from Leeds :D:D and Sheff Weds :D:D to Sheff Utd and Bradford [didn't mean to pick on Yorkshire])

4. ... and everybody else who is trying to (A) get promoted (B) consolidate prior to a push next year, or (C) avoid relegation

This last group has most time for glory.

Separately, I think the age boundary would be more illuminating if it was set about 25. I reckon my kids (21, 24, 25, 26) don't really "get" the FAC but follow it so as not to offend me. See below - NSC poll shows enlightened youth and money-grubbing elders (or they're too far gone to understand the poll).

View attachment FACvPL.bmp

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I read the small print wrong. I read just as this season. I would prefer the FA Cup win.

Next season, I would prefer to qualify for the Premier League. FA Cup Final or Play-off Final and I am still not sure?

I would like to go up by automatic promotion next season and win the FA Cup this year.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Won't happen but FA cup 100%, it goes down in history. Prem would be nice but losing most weeks wouldn't be and maybe it sounds mad but I'm actually fine with being in the championship for a few years more.

And I'm 19 but still value the FA cup so it's not always a generational thing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here