Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Furthest walk to the Amex on a matchday?

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Hi all

I'm doing the Three Peaks challenge in September in aid of Scope (absolutely bricking it - I'm not good at hills and I'm 40 now, with two young kids, so have sod-all time to get fit) and so I thought I'd train by walking to the Amex from Hassocks station, over the downs and back down through Stanmer. I reckon that'll be about 2.5hrs (7 miles, 700ft climb).

Anyone done anything similar to this - or further?

S

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Yes, we did something similar. Headed up towards Ditchling common and then took various footpaths to get us on to the Downs. I took this route as I was told the ascent up the Downs wouldn't be as steep. It was a great walk, we passed a flying group on the top of the Downs who were flying various types of light aircraft and continued along the top of the Downs before heading down towards Falmer and ending up at the Swan for well earned refreshments. Enjoy your trip.

Apr 12, 2011
I did the three peaks last year with only a few weeks notice, no time to train. It's do-able, just pace yourself and go well prepared with drinks, energy snacks and decent clothing and footwear.

Do yourselves a favour and get an independant driver who's not climbing. We made that mistake and it was hard work, between us two drivers we only got about 4 hours sleep.

I reckon that walk will stand you in good stead, may not quite compare to the mountains but anything like that you can do will help!

Best of luck!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Three flights of steps up to the back row of Upper East. That'll do me. Did walk home from Brighton to Hassocks at 1am many a time in my youth.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
123 steps to the WSU. That's enough exercise for me.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Yes, we did something similar. Headed up towards Ditchling common and then took various footpaths to get us on to the Downs. I took this route as I was told the ascent up the Downs wouldn't be as steep. It was a great walk, we passed a flying group on the top of the Downs who were flying various types of light aircraft and continued along the top of the Downs before heading down towards Falmer and ending up at the Swan for well earned refreshments. Enjoy your trip.

Sounds great, though I'll aim for the steeper climb as it's supposedly training and you have to do the climb eventually. How long did it take you?

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I did the three peaks last year with only a few weeks notice, no time to train. It's do-able, just pace yourself and go well prepared with drinks, energy snacks and decent clothing and footwear.

Do yourselves a favour and get an independant driver who's not climbing. We made that mistake and it was hard work, between us two drivers we only got about 4 hours sleep.

I reckon that walk will stand you in good stead, may not quite compare to the mountains but anything like that you can do will help!

Best of luck!
Got a non-climbing driver, but with 5.5 hours to do Ben Nevis up and down, 4.5 hours Scafell Pike, and 4 hours Snowdon, plus 10 hours driving, which I'll probably use getting changed, eating and crying in agony, so I'm not sure how realistic it'll be to get any sleep inbetween!

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
We left Burgess Hill about 10 and got to the Swan at 2. We were expecting it to take 3 hours but it took 4, but we didn't push ourselves and had a fair few stops, plus we're really unfit!

Cloggie

Feb 21, 2012
Finally having a dry Saturday I walked from Fulking to the Amex. Just under 9.5 miles via the Dyke and Saddlescombe. Took about 2 hours.
Uni sports centre came in very handy as a place to have a shower and get changed before heading into the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here