Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Bridcutt be staying?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Absolutely. Bennett handled the whole situation really well compared to Bridcutt. Whether that's down to agents, Bridcutt or the club, who knows.

I never understood his desperate need to go now anyway. Surely for a player who's never played Premier League football before, he'd be better off going in the summer when he has time to settle at his new club rather than being thrown in to a relegation battle. Also, Sunderland may still go down so he could be back playing Championship football next season anyway.

Looking at the situation from LB's viewpoint it is easy to understand why he wants to move now the opportunity has presented itself.

There is no guarantee that a Premier League club would be vying for his services in the summer if he stays in the Championship - Sunderland appear to be the only club seriously interested in this window and if as you suggest they do get relegated then the chance of playing in the PL may have gone. At least if he went to them now he would have a few months to showcase his skills which could well encourage other top flight clubs to show an interest at the end of the season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Looking at the situation from LB's viewpoint it is easy to understand why he wants to move now the opportunity has presented itself.

There is no guarantee that a Premier League club would be vying for his services in the summer if he stays in the Championship - Sunderland appear to be the only club seriously interested in this window and if as you suggest they do get relegated then the chance of playing in the PL may have gone. At least if he went to them now he would have a few months to showcase his skills which could well encourage other top flight clubs to show an interest at the end of the season.

Fair point. Hadn't really thought of it that way. I have read suggestions there might be other clubs interested but if that's not the case, then you are probably right.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We only have the club spin from the welsh menace that he didn't want to play last week!

As I said before, what do the club have to gain from lying. If anything, it means we're likely to get lower bids as other clubs will think we're more likely to sell. Also, if we don't get a big enough bid for Bridcutt and he stays, he will be more pissed off. I really don't see there's any reason to say that if he was injured or dropped.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why?

As far as I am concerned, he is a young ambitious player who is a talent and there are clubs looking at him so he can play in the premier league. I would hope every single player we have are also looking to play at some time in the premier, if not they are not ambitious!

Good luck to him if he goes and if he stays and we get to see him play at the standard he was before he was injured then that will be a bonus for us.

We only have the club spin from the welsh menace that he didn't want to play last week!

But if he waited four months he could actually earn his place in the premiership - with us. If every player left when they achieved premier league standard we will never get promoted.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But if he waited four months he could actually earn his place in the premiership - with us. If every player left when they achieved premier league standard we will never get promoted.

That is assuming we will get there, as opposed to actually being there! A footballers playing life is extremely short and I would have thought you take your chances when offered.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

TBH it's the "frame of mind" cr@p that is p1ssing most fans off. So you're right, but missing the point.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I said before, what do the club have to gain from lying. If anything, it means we're likely to get lower bids as other clubs will think we're more likely to sell. Also, if we don't get a big enough bid for Bridcutt and he stays, he will be more pissed off. I really don't see there's any reason to say that if he was injured or dropped.

Couldn't agree more. I'm unimpressed with Jones in the press in general, but it makes no sense whatsoever for the club to make up the "frame of mind" thing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely. Bennett handled the whole situation really well compared to Bridcutt. Whether that's down to agents, Bridcutt or the club, who knows.ay.

We were not dealing with anything near as emotional as the Poyet effect though, if it was any other manager in for Liam I doubt it would have gone like it has.

I am looking forward to the day that the Poyet aftermath is over and we can just get on with being BHA without the fall out of his acrimonious departure. Hopefully he will soonfind better players than the ones he has unsettled here and disappear into the sunset.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We were not dealing with anything near as emotional as the Poyet effect though, if it was any other manager in for Liam I doubt it would have gone like it has.

I am looking forward to the day that the Poyet aftermath is over and we can just get on with being BHA without the fall out of his acrimonious departure. Hopefully he will soonfind better players than the ones he has unsettled here and disappear into the sunset.

Totally agree, his departure has cast a long dark shadow over this season and we need to be rid of it.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Not in the squad. And this was tweeted last night:

@SkySportsPeteO: Sunderland are edging closer to agreeing a deal to sign Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt. #safc #bhafc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here