Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council Tax Referendum

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As an interesting aside, the GMB, Labour's main backers in the city, are really not happy with Labour's position on this.

They're asking for alternative proposals, and what they intend to do to make up the shortfall, and none are forthcoming.

Similarly, reading through the thread, there does seem to be some pretty basic lack of understanding as to how council budgeting - ANY council budgeting - works. The rules are extremely tight, the budgeting from central government - and let's be adundantly clear, they are the ones to blame for this - is even tighter.

I do find it amazing the central government escapes so much scorn when they are actually playing politics with people's lives. They do this on a national (e.g. Atos) and local level.

Al - this is the downside of the greens making this political. They could and should have held joint party sessions on this. They didn't and have tried to hold a gun to various officers' and other parties' heads on this.

Yrs the central government is to blame for a large part of this but what the greens have now done is allowed the focus and blame to shift onto them. Politically poor.

As for what the gmb want, as the greens have learnt, it's easier to say anything in opposition. But now it's not about labour coming up with a plan because they won't need to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Al - this is the downside of the greens making this political. They could and should have held joint party sessions on this. They didn't and have tried to hold a gun to various officers' and other parties' heads on this.

Yrs the central government is to blame for a large part of this but what the greens have now done is allowed the focus and blame to shift onto them. Politically poor.

As for what the gmb want, as the greens have learnt, it's easier to say anything in opposition. But now it's not about labour coming up with a plan because they won't need to.

Labour know that the Greens are right - they've said as much privately, and will possibly ultimately suffer at the ballot box when it's realised that they have let (socially) adult social care down and (politically) them and their members down. Even the Tories locally know the Greens are right, but in no way will ever admit that.

Budget talks are cross-party. Labour holds the key, and in siding with the Tories are playing their version of Russian roulette with their core voters, many of whom work in the sectors which will be hardest hit. Labour will be seen to need to come up with its own plans for its own credibility.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
@TheLargeOne - So what about the charitable donations mentioned by Kwikrap?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Labour know that the Greens are right - they've said as much privately, and will possibly ultimately suffer at the ballot box when it's realised that they have let (socially) adult social care down and (politically) them and their members down. Even the Tories locally know the Greens are right, but in no way will ever admit that.

Budget talks are cross-party. Labour holds the key, and in siding with the Tories are playing their version of Russian roulette with their core voters, many of whom work in the sectors which will be hardest hit. Labour will be seen to need to come up with its own plans for its own credibility.

You can be right in principle but wrong in delivery and that is where the greens are now at. The talks were not an adult approach to reach consensus. They were an attempt to bulldoze.

The greens were the party who tried to get labour to back some of them in deposing kitcat (ive seen the emails). If labour were as opportunistic as you are saying they would have supported then (or when the Tories brought a no confidence motion last year).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I do not have an allegiance to any party and have contacted all of them at some point. I had good correspondence with some members of the Greens before they were elected, but as soon as they took office they have been reluctant to discuss something they supported in principle previously.

What is this? Don't forget that they're a minority administration, and this will substantially limit what they can get through, so this might explain their reluctance on this issue. Also, don't forget that Labour didn't go in to coalition with them, just like they refused to form a coalition with them in the previous council so as to let the Tories attempt to run the council (although they didn't have an overall majority). Finally, don't forget that they've had to deal with the national Coalition government's devolving of the axe and Pickles' pseudo-localism agenda.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What is this? Don't forget that they're a minority administration, and this will substantially limit what they can get through, so this might explain their reluctance on this issue. Also, don't forget that Labour didn't go in to coalition with them, just like they refused to form a coalition with them in the previous council so as to let the Tories attempt to run the council (although they didn't have an overall majority). Finally, don't forget that they've had to deal with the national Coalition government's devolving of the axe and Pickles' pseudo-localism agenda.

As I said the Greens supported me in principle before they got into office but in the end they resented being involved with something that was also backed by the Tories, even though it was something that was hugely benificial to the local community and wouldn't have cost them a penny. In fact the council would have profited from it.

This wasn't something that they couldn't push or investigate further because of objections from other parties, the Greens could have made the difference by adding their support.

I said in my previous post that I have no allegience to any party but unless you are signed up and dancing with the Greens their door is closed and bolted.

They liked what I was doing until they found out that the Tories also liked it and it became a party & personality clash.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Had to bounce this while watching the council debate on the motion of no confidence.

I really can't believe what twats Cllr's Kitcat, Hawtree and that Irish idiot can even raise a single vote between them. Really what a pathetic party - instead of their speeches detailing what they want to do for THIS city, instead they ramble on with anti-Labour and anti-Tory diatribes and use examples over 20 years old. Really pathetic excuses of politicians.

They clearly think running this city is a "lark".

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And a vote of NO CONFIDENCE is approved. I wonder if the idiots will take note ?

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
The trouble with politics is politics. Whips equals bribery, we put you here, if you do as we say you will progress, if you don't you won't be re-elected etc etc. The powerful become more powerful and the plebs (is it OK to use that word?) remain on the back benches.

The same applies equally to Town, City, District and County Councils. Mid-Sussex District Council comprises two groups, conservative and liberals, control of the groups is so rigorous that nobody is allowed to use their common sense and vote as an individual. This is true even for mundane issues, the ruling group proposes and all of them vote for it and all of the other group oppose, it's just a silly game.

I was the chair of Hassocks Parish Council, thank God Parish Councils don't bother with politics, if a good idea is proposed the majority will vote for it, based on their own common sense and research, if it isn't a good idea, they vote against it.

I hear that there are a lot of negatives regarding the newly installed bus and cycle lanes and the 20 MPH speed restrictions, They must have cost a fortune to install, had this money been spent on adult social care etc. I suspect the council tax would not have had to be increased by 5% and all this angst would have been avoided.

Simples:wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here