Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Player you've seen play

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surprised no-one has mentioned Suarez at the Amex.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Three that stand out are Ian Rush who was very sharp, Wayne Rooney who is very clever at finding pockets of space and John Sheridan who gave the most complete midfield performances I have ever witnessed when his :lolol: Wednesday team beat us 4-0 at the Goldstone.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Players from different eras, so here's a few : Jimmy Greaves, George Best, Bobby Moore, Kevin Keegan, Alan Ball, Gordan Banks, Mark Lawenson, John Robertson, Ian Rush, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Messi.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I thought Bellemy was the stand our performer that night. Especially after that free-kick

Yes. but the thread's about the best player you've seen play - not necessarily the best performance (for what it's worth, the latter would be Paul Gascoigne for me - even though I've seen Maradona, Messi, Platini, Kaka, Dalgliesh, Keegan and other top players, his was the best individual performance)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Klinsmann & Gascoigne

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Yes. but the thread's about the best player you've seen play - not necessarily the best performance (for what it's worth, the latter would be Paul Gascoigne for me - even though I've seen Maradona, Messi, Platini, Kaka, Dalgliesh, Keegan and other top players, his was the best individual performance)

Surely, if they turn into a great player AFTER you've seen them then you cant count them as the best player you've SEEN play?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surely, if they turn into a great player AFTER you've seen them then you cant count them as the best player you've SEEN play?

Just saying there's a difference between the greatest player you've seen live and the best performance by a player... In any case, when does a player become 'great' - you could see them when they're on the verge of greatness? (admittedly, anyone saying Beckham simply because they saw him coming on as a sub at the Goldstone on his debut would be pushing it...)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Sorry, that doesn't make too much sense to me. If I'd seen (for example) Messi play very early in his career (I haven't) and his performance was a bit cack, would I still be expected to give that answer despite me not actually seeing him be his immense self?

As all I've seen are Albion games (and my age rules out Lawro and the like) I'm going with Abdul Razak for utterly glorious game against Ipswich.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry, that doesn't make too much sense to me. If I'd seen (for example) Messi play very early in his career (I haven't) and his performance was a bit cack, would I still be expected to give that answer despite me not actually seeing him be his immense self?

As all I've seen are Albion games (and my age rules out Lawro and the like) I'm going with Abdul Razak for utterly glorious game against Ipswich.

Two different things isn't it... If you read the thread, most people have just replied with the greatest players they've seen.

now going into middle age I have a very 'romantic' memory of "that" season at The Goldstone. When Ward got the ball the excitement all around was incredible, you felt something great was about to happen, and according to my memory, it usually did. To a slightly lesser degree I had that with Nelson, but by then I was 20 and footballers were never the same again :(

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Mine would be either Vicente or Rooney. But I'm lucky enough to have tickets for Barcelona v Levante tonight so depending on who plays, that could all change!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I saw Ronaldo play a few times for man utd. Was impressive.
I was at one of the games where he scored a back heel from a cross against Aston villa at old trafford

If we're talking stunning goals, I was sat about ten yards away from Beckham when he pinged one in from his own half. He is not, however, the best player I've seen play. Good goal though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was in Barcelona in 04 & we managed to get tickets to see them play Osasuna. Ronaldinho was in his prime, & it was the game where he recieved the ball, back to goal, around the half way line. 2 defenders were coming in from behind & without a look he flicked the ball up over his head, did a 180 & left them both behind. That one turn was worth the entrance fee.

Was Oscar playing?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Without doubt Paul Gascoigne at Italia 90 - It was an honour to watch him play. I have to add, Des Walker wasn't too far behind him in that tourno, but as a defender no-one really noticed him at the time...

'You'll never beat Des Walker' as the chant went!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here