Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums you like by truly appalling acts/bands

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Remember Curiosity Killed the Cat? I've always liked their album "Keep Your Distance".
Also, as previously mentioned, Simply Red's debut "Picture Book".

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Traveling Wilburys vol:1 - guilty pleasure, great lyrics "he wrote a long letter, on a short piece of paper".....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Traveling Wilburys vol:1 - guilty pleasure, great lyrics "he wrote a long letter, on a short piece of paper".....

A band containing Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison is nominated as a truly appalling band? Only on NSC :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A band containing Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison is nominated as a truly appalling band? Only on NSC :lolol:

....... who only released two albums one of which was excellent. Which means of the bands total output the poster likes half of it yet still nominates them as truly appalling. - only on NSC indeed

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390633118.602803.jpg

Belter!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I have a soft spot for fairly cheesy early to mid Seventies pop rock, like Pilot for instance. So would consider both them and their modern incarnation, The Feeling, as guilty pleasures. In both cases their singles are MUCH better than any album tracks, mind.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In true NSC style, I've turned a recent popular thread around. This is tricky - how much do you want to confess to?

I must say, I have some fondness for a trio of what would probably be described by a major label's marketing department as "state of the art rock/pop albums".

With regret, I admit to:

The Killers - Hot Fuss
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time
Bryan Adams - Reckless

Next time set yourself a question you can answer yourself?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Haha! Well put. I think a few people are not reading the thread title and are quoting albums that have perhaps not aged that well. The Travelling Wilburys were (along with the Sun Studios Million Dollar Quartet) the ultimate supergroup.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know how this works, but in the late 90s Garth brooks tried to create a new identity, Chris Gaines. People ridiculed him for it, but I saw a lot of logic to it, and wondered if David Bowie was ridiculed as much for his zingy stardust creation or Aladdin sane.

The logic being, it allowed him to branch out and try a different style of music (baby face produced for a soul-ish r'n'b type sound), whilst allowing him to go back to his 90s style country roots under his own name and not suffer the bad taste of Chris Gaines.

I think part of the ridicule was due to the back story he created, part of a band, he broke of and went solo, retired, and the plan was to have a movie called 'the lamb' in which Chris Gaines would become an investigator and solve a murder. That's an aspect of it I can't really defend.

But he released an album of 'greatest hits' by Chris Gaines, that I actually really liked (it included a couple of songs from his 'group days') I think it was mostly original material (though one song featured a sample of a Vietnam era song, and one of the group's songs was feature on an Alison Krause album, but I'm not sure if she covered it, if it was hers originally, or if someone else wrote it and they both covered it).

Chris Gaines would be a truly appealing act, but mostly only people who hate country music would call Garth brooks truly appalling. But that's the only album that comes to mind.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Are The Killers the latest band to succumb to the "no longer considered cool to like them" label? How can you like Hot Fuss but think The Killers are truly appalling?

This kind of music snobbery really is nonsense.

innit what a load of old cobblers

oooo I loved John Grant when noone else did but now I have trained my ears to hate him so I just listen to the hotly tipped bum gravy as well

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Oh and Sam s town is their masterpiece imo

The whole concept of a 'guilty pleasure' is bollox really innit?

you like it or you dont

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Revolver - The Beatles

Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, I'm only Sleeping, Love you to, Here, There and Everywhere, Yellow Submarine (I'll give you that one), She Said She Said, Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One, Doctor Robert, I Want To Tell You, Got to Get You Into My Life, Tomorrow Never Knows.

What are you talking about?

EDIT: Oh, I see, just read it again, you're saying it's a good album, but The Beatles are appalling.

Right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here