Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums you like by truly appalling acts/bands

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'd be happy to agree with you if you'd said "bands you don't rate" or "bands you're not a fan of", but you've used the word "appalling" which to me suggests a lack of talent and everything they've done is bad, you certainly can't level that at The Killers.

I've used "Appalling" because this thread is a spin-off from the "Truly appalling albums by acts/bands you like". In that thread, the harshness of the word was quickly forgotten and it became more like "duff albums by bands you like". I'm not really "appalled" by The Killers - they're not offensive - but for me the singles and Believe Me Natalie from the first album mark their high watermark and they seemed after that to blather on too much about being as big as U2 and making more and more forgettable music. I'm sure I'm not the only one who rates Hot Fuss but none of the others.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've used "Appalling" because this thread is a spin-off from the "Truly appalling albums by acts/bands you like". In that thread, the harshness of the word was quickly forgotten and it became more like "duff albums by bands you like". I'm not really "appalled" by The Killers - they're not offensive - but for me the singles and Believe Me Natalie from the first album mark their high watermark and they seemed after that to blather on too much about being as big as U2 and making more and more forgettable music. I'm sure I'm not the only one who rates Hot Fuss but none of the others.

OK that's fair enough then, just the classic NSC using extremes of opinion. I do agree that their albums went downhill a bit after Hot Fuss, although it was hard not to. Incidentally have you heard the Battle Born album? I think it's their most recent one and I would say it's somewhat of a return to form, not trying to be too clever.

You mention U2, now they are a band I REALLY can't stand.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
just the classic NSC using extremes of opinion.

I think so. Haven't heard the latest.

You mention U2, now they are a band I REALLY can't stand.

I used to like them, until I was old enough to recognise how annoying Bono was. I thought he was quite cool when I was an impressionable teenager. I still don't mind some of their early stuff, especially The Edge's guitar sound. However, great example of appalling - double whammy of idiotic lead singer and irrelevant music.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
not an album but Chas n Dave were session musicians on one of my fave tracks - Labi Siffre's 'I got the...' which spawned the Slim Shady riff

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Welcome to the Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Silk and Steel - Five Star
Picture Book - Simply Red
Running in the Family - Level 42
Bridge of Spies - T'Pau
Ocean Drive - The Lighthouse Family

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bros - 'Push'.

Give it a listen and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Matt Goss can really hold a note.

I saw him on Strictly ( I think) doing some showbiz song and I have to confess I was quite impressed, having thought Bros were a pile of shite. Maybe it was the other brother but the fact remains he could sing.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Matt Goss has made a very decent living in LA. They LOVE him there. The guy does, to be fair have a reasonable amount of talent.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Haircut 100 - Pelican West.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I saw him on Strictly ( I think) doing some showbiz song and I have to confess I was quite impressed, having thought Bros were a pile of shite. Maybe it was the other brother but the fact remains he could sing.

No the other brother is an actor, was in Blade 2 (the good one)

02.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Welcome to the Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

What......this is an awesome album!!!!

Oh what a night.....the four seasons,...two decent songs, 1963 and Emily's salle de dance...the rest is bollox

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What......this is an awesome album!!!!

Oh what a night.....the four seasons,...two decent songs, 1963 and Emily's salle de dance...the rest is bollox

You haven't seen The Jersey Boys? Great music throughout.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You haven't seen The Jersey Boys? Great music throughout.

I have seen excerpts from various groups on cruises and yes it sounds bloody brilliant!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Spanish train & other stories - Chris De Burgh.

I love this album!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It depends on what % of their output appeals to you. There are two songs I can't stand on Hot Fuss, 13 on Sam's Town, 12 on Day and Age, then I gave up. Their stated aim to be as big as possible put me off a bit too.

I got into The Killers when Hot Fuss came out, but really other than the singles on that album and Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, most of the rest of the album is filler. Whereas I'd say their best all-round album is Day and Age which it seems some people don't like because Human is on it. It also has A Dustland Fairytale, This Is Your Life, The World We Live In, Spaceman and Joyride on it which are all good songs for starters and which cover quite a wide range of their influences. It was the first album of theirs where there wasn't IMO a noticeable difference in the quality of the singles and the rest of the album, which I thought was the case with Hot Fuss and Sam's Town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here