Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lib Dems,do they face Wipeout ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I did laugh at the comment concerning performance in the house. David Cameron has answered just 6 questions in the nearly 4 years since he became pm during pm questions. He has asked over 40.

As for performances of party leaders. If that was the telling factor then Nigel farage will according to ipsos Mori, be the next PM.

I think Andy Burnham has been proven right on health and care, Tristram Hunt is doing well in education. If Balls was replaced by Alistair Darling then i think the economic credibility element would be repaired - after all there's barely a fag paper between his plans in terms of reduction and what Osborne achieved.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The U-turn on tuition fees was regrettable, although in practice what could Clegg do? The Tories were the larger party in the new coalition and flexed their muscles. I think the Tories too soon realised the way that was handled didn't help the coalition at all, and other differences of opinion have been discussed and compromises reached in a far less public fashion.

I actually think in terms of dealing with problems and coming up with solutions this is the best government we've had since Thatcher's second term 1983-87, and if I could vote for the coalition I would.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I did laugh at the comment concerning performance in the house. David Cameron has answered just 6 questions in the nearly 4 years since he became pm during pm questions. He has asked over 40.

As for performances of party leaders. If that was the telling factor then Nigel farage will according to ipsos Mori, be the next PM.

I think Andy Burnham has been proven right on health and care, Tristram Hunt is doing well in education. If Balls was replaced by Alistair Darling then i think the economic credibility element would be repaired - after all there's barely a fag paper between his plans in terms of reduction and what Osborne achieved.

Agreed. I think Balls is a total liability. I certainly wouldn't want him near the Treasury.

I suspect that there are some good people in the Labour Party - the problem is that none of them are Ed Milliband or Ed Balls.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Chris Bryant always seem to come across as an intelligent and level headed MP as well. Tim Farron of the Lib Dems is about the only Lib Dem I would consider voting for.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't think they'll be wiped out, however, they most certainly will not be as large as they are. I suspect they'll lose around 10-15 seats. Labour won't win, I've been doing canvassing here in Lincoln for the Conservatives and we've heard the same thing over and over again. They don't like Ed Miliband, so far this has been an occurring trend in which they would like to vote Labour, but cannot bring themselves to do so leading many to consider voting Green. The Labour party also have had no real answer to anything in the House, they've been a party of protest, not opposition. Their economic plan has been pursued in France and look at the state of their economy now. Labour do have one thing, which is the "Cost of living crisis" - but the issue with this is that anyone with basic understanding of economics is that, well, the cost of living crisis was indeed caused by Labour. The interesting thing though is that UKIP appear to be stealing Labour supporters, more so than Tory, which inevitably cause some issues for them. A split in voting will cost Labour heavily, as it did Tories in the 2012 county elections, which Labour literally saw no increase in their overall percentage of vote, but gained the most seats due to a right-wing split. Which says a lot about Labour if they're not gaining votes.

However, for us Tories, we face an uphill battle up a steeper hill. The electorate don't feel as though the government is connected to the electorate. Which is understandable when the vast majority are privately education. Many believe the economy is better off under the Conservatives, but don't feel as though socially we've done much to help local communities. The 'Big Society' ideal was an ill-thought of and poorly construed strategy that failed to get its message across. Of course, whilst the economy is getting better. That's on the macro-economic scale, we're talking businesses here that I seeing the benefits. The average person will not see these benefits for a while, it takes longer to effect the general population than the businesses.

My prediction will be a Conservative minority government, likely to fall within 2 years of election. The electoral system now faces a serious question about both our electoral voting system and our legislative system. I could imagine more and more coalitions being formed from now on than ever before, and that'll put pressure on the voting system. I believe there's a correlation between roughly low turnout and the electoral system. It's literally one choice for the voter in ballot box. Might worth moving from FPTP towards proportional representation to allow smaller parties to have their chance in the legislature and give the electorate more choice.

Deluded. No one's buying this new image Labour's taken up other than its hardcore support, sorry bud. UKIP's now stealing your votes.

I'm just checking to see if you've seen my reply to your post in the ' Moyes out ' thread, where you sneeringly asked whether ' is it because there are numbers that you don't understand it ? ' , without realising you had got it embarrassingly wrong yourself ? Surely you wouldn't try to avoid answering ? I'll keep up until you do.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Much as it hurts me to say it but the Lib Dems do run fantastic campaigns on a local level (Eastleigh being a good example).

They will simply round the wagons round their winnable seats and sacrifice the marginal ones.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
They will simply round the wagons round their winnable seats and sacrifice the marginal ones.

Reducing them to being the other SNP -- the Somerset Nationalist Party.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I hope they do - I can't wait to see Cleggy do THIS

20091112_wipeout_250x375.jpg

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If people wanted the Lib Dems to be able to implement all their pre-election pledges, they should have voted for them in greater numbers.

I think, if anything, the criticism of the Lib Dems over the apparent abandoning of key manifesto points suggests more about the public's understand of what are realistic expectations for a minor party in a coalition.

Policy compromise is pretty common among European coalition governments. Maybe we, as voters, are just not as used to it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think they should face Wipeout, in fact all the parties should, I'd love to see Eric Pickles attempt the three red balls and Michael Gove's face is just made for the boxing glove challenge

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Went for (a minor share of) power at any price.
The bill is due to arrive and like my utility bills, shopping bills, council tax, water rates etc etc, it is going to be higher than budgeted.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
They're a shambles. How can the leadership insist a man apologise for something that he denies doing and for which they have insufficient evidence to back it up to make either a criminal or civil charge. It stinks of a witch hunt to me.

They've lost my vote for the first time in my life.

Have to laugh,only the Lib/Dems could have a 'sex scandal' without any sex!

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Gotta a feeling that the Greens will lose their solitary seat in GE 2015 due to a backlash from the electorate unhappy with local issues and the influx of Londoners into the constituency to turn it blue.

I can't see that to be honest. The Conservatives came third last time, they won't improve on that.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I really don't think they do face wipeout. As e77 says above, their organisation in the seats they do currently hold is (like it or not) brilliant, and they held Eastleigh. I suspect they will hold plenty of their current seats.

People forget - in 2010, their vote share went up compared to 2005, but their number of seats in the house actually went down, even if it was still enough to join the coalition. The number of votes they get, in short, just doesn't tally to how many seats they get. It's all about where the votes are, and I think the votes they do get will be in the right places (for them).

I don't live in (or near) Lewes but is Norm another good example? I suspect he's got a good chance of holding his seat.

In answer to the post, yes I hope the lib dems are wiped out for good. I hope ukip get in, are a total disaster and we can start again with politics for real people. The lib dems are a disgrace,the tories and labour are the same university trained stooges with no idea how real people live. Russell Brand and his nonsense left wing loonies can **** right off and a real revolution can begin with the ordinary working man downing tools and taking to the streets without the backing of corrupt unions who do nothing but swell their own coffers and political ambition.....I'll get my coat!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In answer to the post, yes I hope the lib dems are wiped out for good. I hope ukip get in, are a total disaster and we can start again with politics for real people. The lib dems are a disgrace,the tories and labour are the same university trained stooges with no idea how real people live. Russell Brand and his nonsense left wing loonies can **** right off and a real revolution can begin with the ordinary working man downing tools and taking to the streets without the backing of corrupt unions who do nothing but swell their own coffers and political ambition.....I'll get my coat!

can i vote for you?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Do you not think that the Lib Dems deserve some credit for being willing to co-exist with the Tories and simply getting on with forming policy decisions based on common sense and need, rather than ideology?

Had we just had a Tory government the cuts would have been deeper and hurt the less well-off even more so. Had Labour been in we'd basically be Greece by now. I think credit is due to the Lib Dems for helping to steer the ship to the point we've arrived at now, which is falling unemployment low interest rates, low inflation and increasing growth.

I also think David Cameron deserves a lot of credit for striking a balance with his own party too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can't see that to be honest. The Conservatives came third last time, they won't improve on that.

Brighton Pavilion could easily become a 4 way marginal if the Green vote collapses and Labour voters stay at home , it could well be the UKIP vote that allows the Conservatives to sneak in.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The thing is, as much as I dislike how the Lib Dems have caved in to the Tories I'm struggling to decide who to vote for in the next election. Labour have got absolutely NOTHING going for them and Ed as Prime Minister is laughable, the Tories have done some good things but they are still the same old Tories. My vote is going to be largely based on trying to stop the Greens keeping Brighton Pavilion, so who on Earth do I vote for? I just can't bring myself to vote Labour at the moment.

I think the point you make about your vote is a good one in as far i believe that there will be quite a large slice of tactical voting. The current Tory M/P for the Staffordshire Moorlands holds a 6,000 Maj however she takes no interest in local affairs and has recently employed her husband as her P/A (not interview etc) on £42k a year that has not gone down well at all. Last year in the County Elections my 'seat' formly strong Tory was lost to Labour (the former M/P beaten in 2010 but strong on local affairs) polling 2,500 votes with Ukip 2,200 and Tories 900 if that is reflected in 2015 bye bye Bradley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here