Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

child abuse, please report it.

Just out of interest, and I appreciate this is a sensitive topic: how are prosecutions possible when there is so little chance of forensic evidence? Is it just a case of someone's word against someone else's?

Our abuse dates back to the 60s. Once word was out that a complaint had been made regarding a certain member of staff others came forward with their stories. The Police were fantastic and treated us with the utmost care and consideration. I can't thank them enough for their hard work. There was obviously no forensic evidence for them to work with. The pattern of abuse seemed to follow the same path. I will not go into what the abuse entailed. A number of Pupils, whether abused or not, were aware that things were going on and I find it hard to believe that if we knew members of staff did not. Why did none of us report it then? I don't know the answer to that. May be some did and it was swept under the carpet. Who would believe a child's word against a member of staff? Would we have been beaten (caned)? Things happened in those days, times were different, but that is no excuse. Abuse is abuse whenever it happens. My guilt for keeping quiet will haunt me for the rest of my life but it helps taking about it. I can't answer your question fully but can only suggest that if people are aware that a complaint has been made it can, as it did in our case, encourage others to follow suit. My abuse was mild and was at the hands of another person at the school. That person is dead so cannot be prosecuted. I understand that others have also reported him for what he did. Those cases have been recorded.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Why did none of us report it then?.

It was different back then. Abuse at schools or in the army was seen as a kind of initiation, something you had to go through. And the parents in a lot of cases didn't want to make a fuss. A lot of this stuff happened at public schools, where the parents had their reputations to uphold and just kept quiet rather than having it get out.

For what it's worth, the whole Catholic scene has a lot to answer for as well. If you're the perpetrator - confess and everything will be OK. If you're the victim - you should practice forgiveness towards the abuser.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Biggus Dickus, Public School Boy and Naughty Vicar are all Hugo in other words multiple accounts - think some mod action is needed to stop this nonsense

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would be more than happy to have someone clear these accounts. PSB already gone. Naughty de funked and only popped back to to post re abuse thread. Time to move on one thinks. Bye bye.

This post here seems to be about leaving the past in the past, without taking responsibility for it, and making amends, whereas the theme of the opening post of this thread seems to be saying the opposite. Which way do you want it to be?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Strangely, it's seems my brother and I (another poster on NSC) has a lucky escape in the 70s as a now convicted "family friend" who used to take us swimming was convicted for abuse crimes 40yrs on, a teacher at a swimming class (!), but only post one victims suicide a couple years ago that triggered the enquiry. the offender now 80 (and they don't send people to prison that age without it being serious) had committed more crimes in the 50s but given the period it was dealt with locally ie forced to resign and move on. So yes, I applaud anyone with the courage to seek justice however long after the crime. No different to trying ex Nazis in their 90s today. Still ducking murderers!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why move this, Mods. Surely a little pruning would have done.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I hope this thread has not been hijacked because of one poster's past indiscretions on NSC.
For many people this issue is life changing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here