Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Baird

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He isnt being let go by Reading. His current deal is up at the end of Jan and he has yet to be offered a new one, presumably because they dont think it's urgent. That could be because they aren't going ro offer him a new deal or that they intend to but haven't got round to it. It is probably his agent raising the stakes by alerting other clubs - just like Grabban. Baird may want to move but he might just as easily be happy to stay put and just needs to prod Reading to give him the best deal.

Wouldn't read anything into this report just yet although if he did come he would, in my view, not only be better than El Abd (by a country mile) but also better than GG (and I am a fan of both :lol:).
His contract with Reading finished Monday according to this article. So it appears Reading are not fussed about losing him.
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-bairds-reading-fc-contract-6534803

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Seems like a risk free signing.

Get him here for 6 months on a free, if it works out then happy days - if it doesn't, no great loss.

Risk free? He might take up one of the physio tables for six months whilst being paid. If Reading don't want to sign him after he was reportedly to have had a great start with them, surely tells us something. We already have a few who are constantly on these table.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
His contract with Reading finished Monday according to this article. So it appears Reading are not fussed about losing him.
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-bairds-reading-fc-contract-6534803

A Reading spokesman said: “Chris’ contract has come to an end, he hasn’t been fit for a little period so we’re assessing his fitness with a view to making a decision, and of course it’s his prerogative to speak to other clubs at this moment in time.”

I wouldn't say that's them not being bothered. That's more that they won't offer a contract to a player whilst they assess his injury.

Either way, it's an opportunity for us to get an experienced player as backup. Can't really argue with that.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
At this stage of the season we need players to hit the ground running and those with experience stand a better chance. Injuries abound in football these days, it is the way the game has moved on. He would of course be ideal as a back up and could indeed push Greer strongly for a place. There will though be strong competition, assuming of course he is fit.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
A Reading spokesman said: “Chris’ contract has come to an end, he hasn’t been fit for a little period so we’re assessing his fitness with a view to making a decision, and of course it’s his prerogative to speak to other clubs at this moment in time.”

I wouldn't say that's them not being bothered. That's more that they won't offer a contract to a player whilst they assess his injury.

Either way, it's an opportunity for us to get an experienced player as backup. Can't really argue with that.
If I was going to give him a contract (and pay the kind of money he no doubt is on ) that his present club Reading seem reluctant to do after giving him his treatment for several weeks, while his contract expires. This would make me think that their medical people are not sure he is a good investment. So what makes you think he would be?

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The arrogance on here is just incredible. The same guy who played most of his career in the premiership & was excellent for Reading before his ankle injury. Yeah, not good enough has been.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The arrogance on here is just incredible. The same guy who played most of his career in the premiership & was excellent for Reading before his ankle injury. Yeah, not good enough has been.

If you include me in those comments, then I must add there is no question in my mind he could be an asset, if fit.
We have enough in our squad who are constantly in and out of the team with injuries, to possibly add one more would be stupid in my view.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I understand people wanting the best for their club but when you see comments to the effectcthat because he is older than elAbd he must be worse you do kinda despair :lolol:

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He isnt being let fo by Reading. His current deal is up at the end of Jan and he has yet to be offered a new one, presumably because they dont think it's urgent. That could be because they aren't going ro offer him a new deal or but they still can. It is probably his agent raising the stakes by alerting other clubs - just like Grabban. Baird may want to move but he might just as easily be happy to stay put and just needs to prod Reading ro give him the best deal.

Wouldn't read anything into this report just yet although if he did come he would, in my view, not only be better than El Abd (by a country mile) but also better than GG (and I am a fan of both :lol:).

"Chris Baird's future remains up in the air after his four-month Royals contract expired this week.

The midfielder made a big impact having arrived on a free transfer in September but has missed the last seven weeks due to an ankle injury.

His deal ran out on Monday meaning he can now sign for another club"

So you do not believe their local reporter then?

I see you have now edited the post with this

"I understand people wanting the best for their club but when you see comments to the effectcthat because he is older than elAbd he must be worse you do kinda despair"

Well done.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really??

He's an established Premier League player, would be a similar signing to Upson - except a couple of years younger.

Would be a very good signing, assuming he is not a sicknote.

He is NOT in the same league as Upson, who played for England, and regularly for a number of Prem clubs. He was so poor at Fulham they dumped him. That said I don't know if he's a sick note but, to repeat, I'd rather we went for someone younger with a bit of pace to balance out our ageing (but rather good) current first choice defenders. The squad should be balanced.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
where is the "we cant afford his wages due to FFP" post ...surely it is the LAW that at least one appears on every thread

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seems like a risk free signing.

Get him here for 6 months on a free, if it works out then happy days - if it doesn't, no great loss.

How do you know he'll accept 6 months? If he does, then fair enough I suppose, but I won't be frothing at the mouth with excitement at the prospect like some on here.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
where is the "we cant afford his wages due to FFP" post ...surely it is the LAW that at least one appears on every thread

Good point. Can't see us affording his wages either, what with FFP and our cost-cutting drive. Money better spent elsewhere, blah, blah, blah! ;-)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is it arrogant to say you prefer a younger more pacey (and probably cheaper) player?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it arrogant to say you prefer a younger more pacey (and probably cheaper) player?
I believe that player is already at the club.
He's just not ready yet.

A full international from the Premier League, will make for a handy deputy.

Who so far this season have embarrassed our glacial central defence with their pace?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here