Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Baird

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see any great advantage in signing him as he is predominantly right full back and that is a position that we are not struggling with at the moment. If we get promotion eould he still be good enough for the Premier. Finally why is he being made available by Reading if he isnt good enough for their promotion push what makes snyone think he will be for ours.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I cannot see any great advantage in signing him as he is predominantly right full back and that is aposition that we are not struggling with at the moment. If we get promotion eould he still be good enough for the Premier. Finally why is he being made avaiable by Reading if he isnt good enough for their promotion push whst makes snyone think he will be for ours.

Because we need backup. Baird would be under no illusions that he is here as backup.

Reading may be looking to use his wages towards a number 1 choice centre back.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I cannot see any great advantage in signing him as he is predominantly right full back and that is aposition that we are not struggling with at the moment. If we get promotion eould he still be good enough for the Premier. Finally why is he being made avaiable by Reading if he isnt good enough for their promotion push whst makes snyone think he will be for ours.

I agree with that bit BG

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He's not been made available.

His contract ran up. He was injured when it did so, so Reading did not offer one immediately.

Apparently he was exellent when he first joined.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Oh, here we go. The exact answer is in the article in post 1.

"He has been sidelined for seven weeks by an ankle injury and Reading are assessing his fitness before deciding whether they want to try to keep him.

Baird, 31, is free in the meantime to talk with other clubs.

That has alerted Albion, who need a replacement for long-serving third choice centre-half Adam El-Abd following his move to Bristol City last week."

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I thought I heard someone say on a recent Albion Roar interview, that a data base is held on every player including their fitness record and one of the reasons for this was to make sure we don't go after players with injury records. Did I hear that bit wrong?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
For whom, we have 2 right backs both competant,2 left backs with potential and Calderon can cover. 2 You g centre backx but thdnhe int renowned as a cenre back. The only possible is back up as DM to Andrews if Bridcutt is sold

He plays centre back. He did for Fulham for ages alongside Brede Hangeland.

We only have Greer, Upson and Dunk.

We need another centre back.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
apparently he can play anywhere across the back four(4) which makes him a valuable asset as long as he knows he will be on the bench

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Got experience, still a few years in the tank and as long as he proves his fitness he could be an astute signing.

Not sure why we *need* to sign someone younger - younger usually means paying a premium. Possibly a premium for a player that may not have the same level of ability.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He isnt being let go by Reading. His current deal is up at the end of Jan and he has yet to be offered a new one, presumably because they dont think it's urgent. That could be because they aren't going ro offer him a new deal or that they intend to but haven't got round to it. It is probably his agent raising the stakes by alerting other clubs - just like Grabban. Baird may want to move but he might just as easily be happy to stay put and just needs to prod Reading to give him the best deal.

Wouldn't read anything into this report just yet although if he did come he would, in my view, not only be better than El Abd (by a country mile) but also better than GG (and I am a fan of both :lol:).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
never has been.

60+ international appearances (yes, it's NI but they still count)
Europa League finalist
150+ PL games

Yep, he's a failure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
60+ international appearances (yes, it's NI but they still count)
Europa League finalist
150+ PL games

Yep, he's a failure.

Any man born in Belfast who owns pair of boots stands a fair chance of getting a cap for them nowadays. Just an opinion but he would never be on my list of players to keep an eye on for their availability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here