Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This really is shocking and should be stopped!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Beth Tweddle got an absolute BEASTING the other day when she did a Q&A on Twitter. Odd how some people feel the urge to tweet vile abuse at anyone in the public eye. I guess its an inadequacy thing.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I don't see why you and I should have to pay for it, especially since Twitter is valued at over £10b.

If pubs have to pay for bouncers because they have anti social problems, then I don't see why Facebook/Twitter shouldn't have similar responsibilities.

Just a thought really.

But why should the website pay for it ? The criminal is the one that should be covering the costs - and that should apply for all crimes.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If the police are expected to deal with this sort of stuff then Twitter should pay for the extra resources required by the the police forces.

Why and in what way are they different from the post office, Landline/mobile phone providers etc ?

I do agree with the general sentiment that they should be more responsive to abuse.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I would imagine that would change if they had to act on every tweet that resulted in a criminal act.

Why would it? The more criminal charges, the more Twitter is forced to act. Only this morning Twitter have announced they are taking on more staff to deal with reported tweets.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Should BT have to contribute towards the police costs if someone is arrested for making death threats over the phone ?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Why would it? The more criminal charges, the more Twitter is forced to act. Only this morning Twitter have announced they are taking on more staff to deal with reported tweets.

I was referring to your stats that recorded 'cyber crime' is reducing. If you want more criminal charges you need more police resources, I would imagine?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Honestly, I don't know what the right answer is, but I think it may be somewhere in the middle. Twitter(and other social media platforms) and the police need to bang their heads together to come up with a solution.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No they shouldn't, not in an ideal world!

Then neither should Twitter be expected to pay the police for dealing with the morons who decide to use it for dishing out vile personal abuse and threats. Its the perps who have to be targetted, not the medium by which they do the offence.

That said, Twitter should be doing more to crack down on them, and cooperating with the police for action to be taken would be a start, which is something Collymore highlighted is not happening enough.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was referring to your stats that recorded 'cyber crime' is reducing. If you want more criminal charges you need more police resources, I would imagine?

I said recorded crime is reducing. That is every charge, including murder, burglary, harassment, shoplifting etc. Some crimes are reducing, some are on the increase but overall recorded crime is falling.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Then neither should Twitter be expected to pay the police for dealing with the morons who decide to use it for dishing out vile personal abuse and threats. Its the perps who have to be targetted, not the medium by which they do the offence.

That said, Twitter should be doing more to crack down on them, and cooperating with the police for action to be taken would be a start, which is something Collymore highlighted is not happening enough.

Which, in fairness, is probably one of the reasons why the comments get re-tweeted by the targets, because they obviously feel that Twitter is failing them.

The statement they released yesterday was really WEEDY, it didn't really say ANYTHING. Listening between the lines (can you even do that?), it sounded like they were saying 'It's a tough old world out there - deal with it'

The process for reporting on, and dealing with, the perpetrators needs beefing up. Twitter have a big role to play in this but up till now, they just seem to be paying lip service to it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which, in fairness, is probably one of the reasons why the comments get re-tweeted by the targets, because they obviously feel that Twitter is failing them.

The statement they released yesterday was really WEEDY, it didn't really say ANYTHING. Listening between the lines (can you even do that?), it sounded like they were saying 'It's a tough old world out there - deal with it'

The process for reporting on, and dealing with, the perpetrators needs beefing up. Twitter have a big role to play in this but up till now, they just seem to be paying lip service to it.

Agreed, it was a very mealy-mouthed statement that failed to address any of the points and conerns Collymore was raising.

Not sure if Collymore retweeting the worst of the abuse to all his followers is the best way of highlighting it either though. Anyone with kids on Twitter would have to monitor their usage very, very closely - anyone following Collymore on there will have seen some pretty vile stuff lately, courtesy of his retweets. I know it "shows up" the morons, and in turn they often get some back as a result, but Twitter really can be a poisonous place and not something I'd want any kids of mine reading.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Agreed, it was a very mealy-mouthed statement that failed to address any of the points and conerns Collymore was raising.

Not sure if Collymore retweeting the worst of the abuse to all his followers is the best way of highlighting it either though. Anyone with kids on Twitter would have to monitor their usage very, very closely - anyone following Collymore on there will have seen some pretty vile stuff lately, courtesy of his retweets. I know it "shows up" the morons, and in turn they often get some back as a result, but Twitter really can be a poisonous place and not something I'd want any kids of mine reading.

Which is why I raised the fact earlier, that it might not be an ideal way to sort things, by Collymore re-tweeting, and therefore giving the KKK-ers fuel for their GLOATING.

I hope no-one thought I was CONDONING the behaviour of these cretins.

All this is a far cry from me tweeting about the fact that we beat Stoke City 2-0 on this day in 1960.

Now THAT'S newsworthy

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here