Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Calm Angry Crowd At Wrexham's 99p Stores Sale

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Says more about the economic 'recovery' than George Osborne ever could...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-25823177

'Police were called to a discount store to calm angry shoppers chasing 50p bargains in a closing down sale.

The 99p Stores in Wrexham was temporarily closed after crowds of shoppers flocked to a half-price sale which was advertised until 28 January.

However, many became angry and refused to leave when staff put prices back up to the full 99p price.

The company apologised for any misunderstanding over pricing and said the shop and 30 jobs were now safe.

Nathan Rowden, chief reporter for the Wrexham Leader, witnessed the incident on Monday and said the store was "chock-a-block" with people, some of whom had queued for two hours.

He said many reacted with "outrage" when they were told the goods had risen to full price.

He told BBC Radio Wales: "I could see through the windows there were customers remonstrating with staff."

At one point he said about 50 people were outside the store trying to get in, but were prevented from entering.

He added: "They were letting people out but not in. People were coming out shouting, visibly very angry about it."'

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I spent a night in Wrexham once. It snowed.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Spookily I visited a B&Q in Wrexham over Christmas to buy some halogen bulbs. Near the football ground as it happens.

I felt they were quite expensive but needed them for my return home to South London.

On returning home I went into a 99p shop in Balham to find the same bulbs for 49.5 pence each !

I bought the entire stock.

Not sure that helps but the gauntlet really thrown down with the snowed in Wrexham story.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here