Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Assisted Suicide - should it be legalised?

Should assisted suicide be legal

• Total voters

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I may have misinterpreted what was going on but when I had a relative who was suffering it seemed obvious to me that the health professionals were fairly rapidly increasing the pain management dose in order to bring about a swift end. I know this is not quite the same as legalised euthanasia but I got the impression this was a fairly standardised/unofficial procedure. I may have got it completely wrong though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think yes.
Suggest; a) there can be no financial gain - so the person dying must have already disposed of all assets, and b) 3 doctors and eg a magistrate must ALL agree it is the right thing to do.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
I may have misinterpreted what was going on but when I had a relative who was suffering it seemed obvious to me that the health professionals were fairly rapidly increasing the pain management dose in order to bring about a swift end. I know this is not quite the same as legalised euthanasia but I got the impression this was a fairly standardised/unofficial procedure. I may have got it completely wrong though.

I think that you're right. When my Mum was dying of cancer 3 years ago, she was given a morphine driver to control the pain. I went to visit one evening and she was talking to her nurse, who was saying "You only had an injection a short while ago are you sure that you want another?" This was in addition to the morphine being fed through the driver. I thought it odd at the time, but just trusted the nurse to know what she was doing. My Mum said to me that night that she had had enough, and sure enough I received a call at 4am the next morning telling me that she had passed away. I am grateful to that nurse for helping to bring her suffering to an end.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think that you're right. When my Mum was dying of cancer 3 years ago, she was given a morphine driver to control the pain. I went to visit one evening and she was talking to her nurse, who was saying "You only had an injection a short while ago are you sure that you want another?" This was in addition to the morphine being fed through the driver. I thought it odd at the time, but just trusted the nurse to know what she was doing. My Mum said to me that night that she had had enough, and sure enough I received a call at 4am the next morning telling me that she had passed away. I am grateful to that nurse for helping to bring her suffering to an end.

Yeah, almost exactly the same situation with my Mum. To me, it was fairly obvious to everyone in the room, albeit unspoken, what was occurring.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

My father in law was dying of leukaemia but then got pneumonia. The doctor told us that he didn't want to give him antibiotics as pneumonia is a 'kind' death. He died within 24 hours and everybody knew why.

There is a living will that a patient can make where you ask that there is no resuscitation or treatment which will prolong life.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My father in law is in the final stages of pancreatic cancer at the moment, I'd be surprised if he lasted the week. The time for him to die was about two months ago, before it got to this horrific stage. He should have been able to make that decision.
My mum died of that in 2012, thankfully she was only in any real pain for the last week , either that or she hid it well, at the same time as that my dad was dying of spine and lung cancer , the chemo was horrific, in his words ' those tossers that are against euthanasia want to experience some of this, they'd soon change their minds'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I've had this in my family too.

I believe that the time is right for the law to be changed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In the pub after the footie just before Christmas I thought up a brilliant business venture. It's for people who want to stitch their mates or not so loved ones up with an embarrassing death. Some poor soul at death's door gets kitted out in a Palace top, women's undies, orange in the mouth laced with poppers...that sort of thing.

I call it Indignitas.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I didn't really have a view on this until my lovely Mum, who suffered badly with cancer, said that she wished I could end her life as she was getting towards the end of her days. She couldn't do it herself, that's another story.

She battled it for 11 years and was pretty amazing all the way through it. But when I heard that it knocked me for six. All I could say to her was that if I could I absolutely would. 27 long years ago now but I remember those words as if it was 5 minutes ago.

It really should be legalised.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Strikes me as something that is (very) vaguely analogous to Safe Standing in that whilst the majority would support it or at least not object to it, no politician wants to touch it because of the amount of emotion involved. And you just know there would be a very loud and active no campaign even if they really are representing 5% of the popular opinion.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My beloved Dog of 15 plus years was in pain for a few hours and we knew the time had come. He was dying. He was put to sleep in comfort with me by his side and did not suffer. It was the single most difficult thing I have ever done in my life but I did it for him and I am sure he thanked me for it. The same dignity should be afforded to Human Beings imo.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My beloved Dog of 15 plus years was in pain for a few hours and we knew the time had come. He was dying. He was put to sleep in comfort with me by his side and did not suffer. It was the single most difficult thing I have ever done in my life but I did it for him and I am sure he thanked me for it. The same dignity should be afforded to Human Beings imo.

Woof!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Yeah, almost exactly the same situation with my Mum. To me, it was fairly obvious to everyone in the room, albeit unspoken, what was occurring.

Interesting, around this time 14 years ago I was present at a similar scenario. Cannot remember if it was the Doctor or nurse saying it but they were very clear in telling us that there was a button on the driver to administer additional pain relief and mentioned on several occasions that we shouldn't be afraid to administer extra doses if we felt if necessary.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Definitely yes but would need to have bullet proof regs as inevitably there will be those mindless few who will take advantage.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here