Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to cut the premier league free?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So you wouldn't change it, despite there being numerous examples of clubs completely ****ing up their finances with the promise of receiving these payments?

I would suggest that is complacent in the extreme.

Oh, and it IS a reward for failure, since it is triggered by relegation, not promotion.

But that's not the Prem's problem if people CHOOSE to overspend. All they can do is provide the necessary support which is what parachute payments are. If people choose to muck up their money DESPITE them then there is literally nothing you can do. People would abuse ANY suggestion put in place....what I'm saying is at least this is a set figure and there is no cconfusion. Club accountants have a solid figure over a solid time set to work on if they are relegated and a contingency plan is needed.

No. It's not a reward. It is to replace the income of £60m tv money which drops to £2m when relegated. There is certainly no reward involved.

If you withdrew it it would lead to two things happening immediately. 1 clubs wouldnt spend a penny when promoted and would be relegated with ease=terrible competetivness. 2 - Clubs will go bust the moment they are relegated if they did dare spend some money to stay in the prem.

Clubs from the prem who are relegated are, in general, not STORMING the championship with their parachute payments. They are also not going out of business. Therefore the balance is pretty good.

Look who's top at the moment. Did they have parachute payments? We're above many clubs who still have PP's. Surely they should be way above us if PP's were so BRILLIANT?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They want promotion, knowing they will be handsomely rewarded whether they stay up or not. However, if the worse happens, they get a ridiculous additional reward.

My second point is key, and makes complete sense. It IS complacent to assume that parachute payments is the one and only best way to deal with the huge difference in financial rewards of Prem vs FL.

You said
"Oh, and it IS a reward for failure, since it is triggered by relegation, not promotion."

It doesn't make sense and it's nothing to do with saying parachute payments is the only way to deal with the issue.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But that's not the Prem's problem if people CHOOSE to overspend. All they can do is provide the necessary support which is what parachute payments are. If people choose to muck up their money DESPITE them then there is literally nothing you can do. People would abuse ANY suggestion put in place....what I'm saying is at least this is a set figure and there is no cconfusion. Club accountants have a solid figure over a solid time set to work on if they are relegated and a contingency plan is needed.

No. It's not a reward. It is to replace the income of £60m tv money which drops to £2m when relegated. There is certainly no reward involved.

If you withdrew it it would lead to two things happening immediately. 1 clubs wouldnt spend a penny when promoted and would be relegated with ease=terrible competetivness. 2 - Clubs will go bust the moment they are relegated if they did dare spend some money to stay in the prem.

Clubs from the prem who are relegated are, in general, not STORMING the championship with their parachute payments. They are also not going out of business. Therefore the balance is pretty good.

Look who's top at the moment. Did they have parachute payments? We're above many clubs who still have PP's. Surely they should be way above us if PP's were so BRILLIANT?

Sorry, I don't agree it's the best way. I've already given my reasons. You seem happy with the system as is. Well, I think there must be a better way. I like the above idea (as I already said).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You said
"Oh, and it IS a reward for failure, since it is triggered by relegation, not promotion."

It doesn't make sense and it's nothing to do with saying parachute payments is the only way to deal with the issue.

You clearly can't count! That was my 3rd point! Oh, and it does make sense, or do you think parachute payments are triggered at a time other than relegation from the Prem?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry, I don't agree it's the best way. I've already given my reasons. You seem happy with the system as is. Well, I think there must be a better way. I like the above idea (as I already said).

The one that potentially gives clubs more money for longer?

We'll agree to disagree.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The one that potentially gives clubs more money for longer?

We'll agree to disagree.

Potentially. Or less money (cap) for shorter period of time (smaller of contract duration and, say, 3 years).

Definitely disagree.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Or just share the money more fairly amongst all 92 clubs and eliminate the problem at root cause...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here