Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Forest taking the Pis#???

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Exactly. In the future I can see the most successful clubs being the ones who have managed their finances properly. I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than some rich foreign owner coming in, who knows nothing about the club, nothing about the area pumping millions of pounds in to the club, just so he has a new toy to play with. Look at Cardiff, what is going to happen if they relegated this season? Look at Hull where the owners now want a name change, what the F**(((

You can keep your foreign owners all day long. I never want to see this at Brighton. The most valuable asset to this club is us, the supporters and building on those existing season ticket holders. We need to get rid of this mindset of Premier League or nothing, and get people who will support Brighton whatever, win or lose and support the club with pride.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Exactly. In the future I can see the most successful clubs being the ones who have managed their finances properly. I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than some rich foreign owner coming in, who knows nothing about the club, nothing about the area pumping millions of pounds in to the club, just so he has a new toy to play with. Look at Cardiff, what is going to happen if they relegated this season? Look at Hull where the owners now want a name change, what the F**(((

You can keep your foreign owners all day long. I never want to see this at Brighton. The most valuable asset to this club is us, the supporters and building on those existing season ticket holders. We need to get rid of this mindset of Premier League or nothing, and get people who will support Brighton whatever, win or lose and support the club with pride.

Aren't most Prem clubs owned by foreigners? I think they all do OK generally and we don't yet know that Cardiff and Hull won't but agree there will be failures. Bad practice is not only limited to those from overseas as we all well know (as do Dirty Leeds, Palace etc etc)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
EI honestly couldn't think of anything worse than some rich foreign owner coming in, pumping millions of pounds in to the club, just so he has a new toy to play with.
You can keep your foreign owners all day long. I never want to see this at Brighton.

Exactly, I would hate it if a bloke based in Australia for half the year stuck £160 million into the Albion.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Hi folks

Took obvious interest in this thread and many reasonable points made. None of us really know how FFP will be implemented and I think everyone agrees that no clubs should gamble their future and take on unsustainable debt however if a clubs owner wants to inject his own money into a club rather via sponsorship or direct funding rather than loans taken out against the clubs name why shouldn't they?

Ultimately if an owner wishes to inject money in a legitimate way that more than offsets their true operating costs and losses but enables them to reach the Prem, then good luck. I don't know the details of Forest's owners, for example whether they have a long association with the Club and whether they are in for the long term?

As a fan I would be very worried if an unheard of foreign owner suddenly took over, injected huge amounts of money in a short term bid to get into the Prem, as a plaything and platform to promote their business interests abroad. Ok that is their right but the 'franchise' style of ownership isn't necessarily a happy one, as Cardiff and Hull are finding, plus Pompey who are the classic car crash of a Club that got into a cycle of living for today, whatever the cost to them - and worse still caused lots of collateral damage in the community.

If success isn't instant, the Prem eludes them again and the owner gets bored and jumps ship then Forest could be left in a real financial mire. We could well have a say in their outcome, being as we are at the City ground on the final day of the season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Really think we will get taken for a ride with FFP - whist we try and spend within our means and others so clearly don't.

The FL will be spineless and clubs will get away with it with no consequences leaving us to look rather silly.

We don't spend within our means, last year we lost £9 million, the previous year £7 million etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think there is a lot of hypocrisy here. If the FFP rules had been introduced five years ago then The Amex could not have been built, is that what you really want?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
They have a record sponsorship deal, so how are they not complying? And even if they aren't they are gambling.

The sponsorship deal is for 5 years.
They are using all the money this year and not a fifth as it should be.
It will be interesting to see how they use the sponsorship money 'again' next year.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Tudgay, Miller, Derbyshire will all be gone in the summer. Blackstock long term injury. Paterson not a striker, more an attacking wide man!

But the trouble is they are likely being paid above the odds in an attempt to reach the promised land, so when they try to get rid of them, nobody will meet their wage demands.
Meanwhile, the new strikers that you will have to buy to keep you in the Premier League, if you go up, want bigger wages, and the club are losing money hand over fist.
A viscious spiral IMHO

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
We don't spend within our means, last year we lost £9 million, the previous year £7 million etc.

Having read a view of your posts on various threads, you are making a number of veiled insuations with regards to finances at the club and future losses. You are one of the more balanced and rational posters, not to mention humourous, on here so I would be extremely interested in your position on this. Can you just come out and state the point that you are getting at?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
They need four, not two. Keep two of the current NINE as the back-up strikers, and swap the other SEVEN for two really, really good ones.

Paying nine wages to cover two positions just can't make sense, if it limits how good any of them are. They can pick any two, and it still doesn't give them a notably better front line than Nugent and Vardy, or Austin and Zamora, or Rhodes and Gestede, or Vokes and Ings, or McCormack and Blackstock, or Le Fondre and Pogrebnyak, or Maynard and Fortune or Deenay and Forestieri.

Perhaps Forest are playing the Monopoly game tactic - buy everything that is half decent so that your competitors can't use them against you - works if you can afford it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Going back to Forest related matters I can't imagine the strikers in their youth / development squads are too impressed given they potentially have 9 strikers fighting for a place in the first team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly, I would hate it if a bloke based in Australia for half the year stuck £160 million into the Albion.

Suppose it's marginally better than a bloke based in Spain living off the Cup Final and playoff money, whatever happened to him? I guess he cashed in his shares in some shady deal too :rolleyes:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not bothered about what the other clubs do, happy we are (trying to) stick within our means and going at things sensibly.

I agree with this. I think we should be run sustainably and am glad that we are regardless of how other clubs are recklessly chucking the money around. It can only be good for us in the long term to be run sensibly, I am not interested in becoming the next Portsmouth or Coventry.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having read a view of your posts on various threads, you are making a number of veiled insuations with regards to finances at the club and future losses. You are one of the more balanced and rational posters, not to mention humourous, on here so I would be extremely interested in your position on this. Can you just come out and state the point that you are getting at?

I don't have any inside information. All I have done is take last years losses at a start point, and made the following adjustments

Losses £(9)million
Less: Cost savings £1.5 million
Less: Increased revenue £1.5 million
Plus: Increased wages £3 million
Plus: Stadium Depreciation £4 million
Plus: Increased player amortisation £2 million
Total losses £15 million

My point is that a lot of people are looking enviously at other clubs, making accusations that these clubs are being run dishonestly/unethically, yet ignore that we have benefitted ourselves from the incredible generosity of TB. Based on my estimates (which are at best, inspired guesswork), TB last season subsidised every seat at the Amex to the tune of £22, which is an amazing contribution.

D

Deleted member 22389

But the trouble is they are likely being paid above the odds in an attempt to reach the promised land, so when they try to get rid of them, nobody will meet their wage demands.
Meanwhile, the new strikers that you will have to buy to keep you in the Premier League, if you go up, want bigger wages, and the club are losing money hand over fist.
A viscious spiral IMHO

You just realise what an asset El Abd was to this club. Never moaned, probably paid peanuts compared to some of the other players, just got on with his job. Brighton through and through.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Agree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here