Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Forest taking the Pis#???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He is however worth it. Zlatan is the Ronnie O'Sullivan of football IMO. I appreciate Ronaldo scores more goals, and is deserving of the Ballon D'Or, but Ibra is a complete wingnut.
Worth spending £46,000,000 a season on?

You do realise that is 46 million pounds a season.

You'd need to buy 46 million top end priced things from Poundland, each year, to justify the deal.
You could give everybody in the country 50p and still have change.
You'd be able to buy the bottom 2 divisions of English football, and still have change.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

You'd need to buy 46 million top end priced things from Poundland, each year, to justify the deal.
You'd be able to buy the bottom 2 divisions of English football, and still have change.

You must not encourage people to spend 50p - they get angry: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-25823177

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Yup, if I was as wealthy as PSG's benefactors, I would go for it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

If PSG believe that they make £46 million and 1p from him via prize money, sponsorship, gate receipts, merchandise sales etc., then yes he's worth it.

There's also the intangible value to the owners of having such a player on your team and winning stuff - can you put a value on the feeling we get when the albion win, even though it has no effect on our personal financial state?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Financing infrastructure is a different issue. If someone wants to build something for a club than that is fine, providing they don't own it and the club does. Pumping £100m odd into a club on players is completely different to pumping in that amount on permanent income generating infrastructure.
But even so, I would prefer it if he didn't have to pay for the Amex yes.

Fair enough, a combination of Greg Stanley, Bill Archer, and Dick Knight stealing the cup final money left him with no alternative though.

I

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Personally, I think Davies is spending the money pretty poorly.

He's now got loads of strikers to pick from, but ultimately he can only use a couple of them at a time, and none of them are actually particularly GOOD.

Danny Graham, Darius Henderson, Jamie Mackie, Ishmael Miller, Marcus Tudgay, Jamie Paterson, Dexter Blackstock, Matt Derbyshire, Simon Cox

They are paying NINE lots of high wages, so that each week he can pick two strikers,against a team that probably have two decent strikers of their own.

Surely he would have been far better off using the funds to have two genuinely outstanding strikers and a couple of decent ones in support?

He's going balls out mate.

1-1-8 formation!

It's the way forward.

Ffs Oscar.

Barber out. Obvs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say my view is that FFP must be given a chance if only to avoid clubs like Pompey, Palace, Leicester, Leeds etc stitching up St Johns Ambulance! However, I do think the FL should be more pro active in managing expectations. For example, if there are concerns about Forest or anyone else then they should be issuing intermediate warnings and other clubs should be aware of the issues. The FL should be establishing before the end of the season whether, for example, Forest's sponsorship deal is acceptable. If it isn't then the offending club can do something to rectify it or at least now the likely fine next year if they get promoted.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have to say my view is that FFP must be given a chance if only to avoid clubs like Pompey, Palace, Leicester, Leeds etc stitching up St Johns Ambulance! However, I do think the FL should be more pro active in managing expectations. For example, if there are concerns about Forest or anyone else then they should be issuing intermediate warnings and other clubs should be aware of the issues. The FL should be establishing before the end of the season whether, for example, Forest's sponsorship deal is acceptable. If it isn't then the offending club can do something to rectify it or at least now the likely fine next year if they get promoted.

But ironically it is some of the clubs who have made the biggest losses that have the least probability of going bust.

Under current rules a club could easily spend £100 million it doesn't have on infrastructure, but still comply with FFP.

FFP exists for two reasons:

1) To keep the cosy cartel of 'big' clubs in Europe being threatened by newcomers (e.g. Man City, PSG)
2: To give clubs an extra bargaining chip when negotiating player contracts ('I'd love to give you an extra £2,000 a week Barnesy, but we can't afford it under FFP').

It may have a minor impact on reducing the likelihood of insolvency, but that is not why it exists (at least not in the top divisions).

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Slightly off topic, but the "Foreign Owners" thing is an absolute 100% red herring.

There might be dodgy characters owning English clubs, but there's also plenty of decent ones too. Would you rather the Albion were owned by the John Henry of Liverpool FC, or good old English Bill Archer? I'm pretty certain Archer is not the only example of a dodgy British owner either.

There needs to be a test of suitability for ownership of football clubs - one that is actually worth the paper it's written on - but I don't see nationality as an issue.

As regards FFP - if it exists for only the two reasons El P spells out, why do the Albion quote it so much? It is just an excuse, or do the club see it as something genuinely worth sticking to in the long term, regardless of how other clubs look at it?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Am I alone in not giving a damn what other clubs spend chasing the dream? I'd much rather see things done the Albion way in getting the infrastructure right, A decent coaching and scouting set up and running the club on a sound financial basis. There's going to come a time when clubs start imploding with the amount of debt there is about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here