Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
barton-spurs-l229-1304407_478x359.jpg

Barton celebrates her late goal against Tottenham

PUBLISHED
15:13 20th January 2014
by James Hilsum
I’ve scored in two important games now. It’s good to get a goal in any game, but the importance of those two strikes makes it even more special. "
Kirsty Barton
Kirsty Barton was delighted to net two free-kicks in consecutive weeks, as her late strike secured a valuable point against Tottenham.

Barton also scored the winner in last week’s 3-2 Women's FA Cup victory and believes it has added real confidence to her game.She told seagulls.co.uk, "I’ve scored in two important games now. It’s good to get a goal in any game, but the importance of those two strikes makes it even more special.
“We’ve lost a couple of players who normally take free-kicks, and I felt confident after last week so decided to take another one.
“I was going to deliver it in at the back post, but I could see the angle it was at and decided to drop it in near post, and thankfully it went in.
“I’ve got six goals already, and set myself a target of 10 for the season, so hopefully I will reach that target. Personally I feel like I am continuing to develop well as a player under John (Donoghue).
“We all know our performance was not as good as it was last week, but we really dug in hard after half time and improved in the second half."
The 21-year-old also praised the performance of first-team debutant Paula Howells who made the step up from Albion’s under-17 side, before reflecting on the upcoming Sussex derby against Lewes next Sunday.
“I thought she was outstanding and didn’t look out of place at all. She came straight into the squad, trained really hard for the past couple of weeks and fully deserves her place in the team.
“We’re all looking forward to facing Lewes now and it should be another great test for the squad. It will be a real battle.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here