Votes: 123 43.0%
  • No - Premiership doesn't interest me

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • No - too expensive

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'd love us to go up (as would most people i'd hope)- but i'm in no great rush. If it takes us a few years to ensure that when we do go up, we're competitive then so be it. Rome weren't built in a day & all that.

I don't get this bit, how are we going to be more competitive? Are we suddenly going to win the lottery (could say we already have once with TB)? By staying within FFP rules we will not make more money. Any money amde through FFP. ie fines to other clubs will be split between the other 50-70 that comply, so no massive influx of cash.

The only thing that we might gain is youngsters coming through the academy but that is not guaranteed and look at our current youngsters like Solly, Jake, Rohan, Maksimenko, Chicksen etc. there is only probably Ince that could possibly start in the Premiership currently!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
For someone who hardly goes to matches, you are posting in an extremely smug way. Fans go to matches for a lot of different reasons. My Dad always said he would prefer to be winning matches near the top of a division than losing lots of matches near the bottom of the one above.
There is a strong financial reason for a lot of fans to want us to stay in the Championship and to be able afford to go to games.
The last time we were in the top division, the crowds dropped considerably after the first two years.

I haven't voted in the poll as none of the above match my views.

Bollocks.
Football is about winning matches, a football fan wants their team to win.
If they don't, they aren't fans.

Bleeding simple really.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Ok I wont bother going to Port Vale on Saturday as I'm not a fan.

If you don't want us to win, then good.

Tired of this shite thread.

Anyone who would rather see us lose please naff off and watch Crawley, or preferably Palarse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Anyone who would rather see us lose please naff off and watch Crawley, or preferably Palarse.

Stop throwing your toys out of the pram. Of course I want us to win, but as a fan I also accept the bad with the good. Blimey having been a fan since 1961, I've seen some bad and enjoy the good when it happens.
My problem and I know there are a few others, is that if we get promoted, then we will lose more than we win. Therefore I wouldn't enjoy it as much. There is also the problem that I wouldn't be able to go to away matches because of the sheer cost involved.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

As the thread starter, I just wanted to see peoples opinion. I want to be in the premiership. I have concerns about cost, but want to be in, but knew having spoken to lots of people who are quite happy with where we are for now that this thread would have those views expressed. The Championship is a very good level, competitive, generally nice stadiums, good crowds, it's a poor mans premiership in a lot of ways. But I think most fans still want us to win every games and get into the premiership. Expressing concern over the potential cost etc does not make you a bad fan, just a little more considered.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Stop throwing your toys out of the pram. Of course I want us to win, but as a fan I also accept the bad with the good. Blimey having been a fan since 1961, I've seen some bad and enjoy the good when it happens.
My problem and I know there are a few others, is that if we get promoted, then we will lose more than we win. Therefore I wouldn't enjoy it as much. There is also the problem that I wouldn't be able to go to away matches because of the sheer cost involved.

Football is a passion, a way of life, not a passing interest that people only take part in if their team is winning.

Anybody, and I mean anybody that doesn't want their team to win EVERY match they play, cannot call themselves fanatical.
Fans sit there watching and listening, playing every minute themselves.

If somebody doesn't want their team to be playing at the top level and trying to win every game, why on Earth are they bothering?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Football is a passion, a way of life, not a passing interest that people only take part in if their team is winning.

Anybody, and I mean anybody that doesn't want their team to win EVERY match they play, cannot call themselves fanatical.
Fans sit there watching and listening, playing every minute themselves.

If somebody doesn't want their team to be playing at the top level and trying to win every game, why on Earth are they bothering?

Did you enjoy our games in Leagues 1 & 2 or weren't they good enough for you?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't get this bit, how are we going to be more competitive? Are we suddenly going to win the lottery (could say we already have once with TB)? By staying within FFP rules we will not make more money. Any money amde through FFP. ie fines to other clubs will be split between the other 50-70 that comply, so no massive influx of cash.

The only thing that we might gain is youngsters coming through the academy but that is not guaranteed and look at our current youngsters like Solly, Jake, Rohan, Maksimenko, Chicksen etc. there is only probably Ince that could possibly start in the Premiership currently!

True, but in time those youngsters will (hopefully) develop and if they are not first XI, then hopefully they'd be first XVIII to give us the depth and confidence they can hold their own for a succession of games.
I'd rather that than go up this season (for example) with an under-developed crop of players and gaping holes in key areas. Or, go up, blow a tonne of cash on players to only manage 18th and come back down with high earners and a massive debt.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I really can't see us being more prepared than we are now. Logically, we will lose our best players if we don't make it in a reasonable timeframe; see Bridcutt.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Of course I'd like to see us go up. I could never be at a game hoping we lose and miss out on promotion.

But I'm not desperate to go up at all costs. For one, the "costs" could be extreme. The notion that a spell in the Premiership "sets you up financially" is just so rarely what actually happens. Not so long ago Bolton were the typical yo-yo club, before finding their feet in the top tier for a while. What are they, £160m in debt! Birmingham, QPR, Charlton, Leeds, Blackburn, Wolves ..... the teams who come back down don't strike me as having won any financial lottery. Often quite the reverse.

Also, it's true that many of us will get priced out. Not necessarily because we don't have that much money, but because when weighed up against what else you could do with the money, it just because too expensive for what it is. Personally, I think going up and staying up wouldn't hold my interest for very long, while a slow death of an inevitable relegation would have me wishing for The Championship and actually winning some games, by about November.

So, while I obviously want to see us go up, a part of me does feel it would be the beginning of the end for me, as there is a lot about the Premiership that turns me off the game rather than has me desperate to get as much of it as I can. The streets are not paved with gold, for anyone but the players.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Of course I'd like to see us go up. I could never be at a game hoping we lose and miss out on promotion.

But I'm not desperate to go up at all costs. For one, the "costs" could be extreme. The notion that a spell in the Premiership "sets you up financially" is just so rarely what actually happens. Not so long ago Bolton were the typical yo-yo club, before finding their feet in the top tier for a while. What are they, £160m in debt! Birmingham, QPR, Charlton, Leeds, Blackburn, Wolves ..... the teams who come back down don't strike me as having won any financial lottery. Often quite the reverse.

Also, it's true that many of us will get priced out. Not necessarily because we don't have that much money, but because when weighed up against what else you could do with the money, it just because too expensive for what it is. Personally, I think going up and staying up wouldn't hold my interest for very long, while a slow death of an inevitable relegation would have me wishing for The Championship and actually winning some games, by about November.

So, while I obviously want to see us go up, a part of me does feel it would be the beginning of the end for me, as there is a lot about the Premiership that turns me off the game rather than has me desperate to get as much of it as I can. The streets are not paved with gold, for anyone but the players.

That's a pretty good summary I think, although it's hard not to think about how great it would be to start the season well and somehow be on top of the premiership. Just for that moment it would be worth it. Or for those rare moments of magic when you beat one of the big boys. I suspect like many though it could prove to be a disappointment.

It's interesting that in the old days a few seasons in the top flight saw our attendances fall below what they were when we were challenging for promotion. It is not inconceivable that that could happen again.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Attendances in the late 70's when we were challenging for promotion out of the second tier and then when we were in the premiership. Initial increase for novelty value, followed by a big dive when we started to lose a lot more than we win.

1977 - 20,197
1978 - 25,265
1979 - 22,145
1980 - 24,745
1981 - 18,984
1982 - 18,244
1983 - 14,662

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Of course, but i dont care about instant success. Id rather get to the promised land of Sky TV money without spending beyond our means and ending up with even bigger debts.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Of course, but i dont care about instant success. Id rather get to the promised land of Sky TV money without spending beyond our means and ending up with even bigger debts.

Sadly, very few actually do that, and those who do (Blackpool) get slated by the fans for not spending enough.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Sadly, very few actually do that, and those who do (Blackpool) get slated by the fans for not spending enough.

Well we'll have to buck the trend then. West Brom went up a few years ago and had 1 season up there, then came back down for a couple of years and have now been their ever since. Cant recall them spending beyond their means - the type of club(ish) we should be looking to emulate (not including the Anelka saga of course), West Brom and Swansea that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here