Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe mason to Bournemouth

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So be it. It's called prudence. Living within your means.

It's not though if your means change so radically.

Say for example I'm earning £100k a year, and buy a house and car on that level of income, in keeping with people of a similar standing in my profession. 12 months later my income falls to £20k a year. I would be bankrupt, unless perhaps I had a decent redundancy payoff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree, I would do away with the parachute payments for a start, there is 180 million ish right there to spread among league 1/2 and championship sides.

That totally ignores the fact that the money belongs to the Premier League and therefore they would just redistribute it amongst the clubs in the Prem. Why would they give it all to the Football League? It would of course be nice if they did but they won't!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That totally ignores the fact that the money belongs to the Premier League and therefore they would just redistribute it amongst the clubs in the Prem. Why would they give it all to the Football League? It would of course be nice if they did but they won't!

What's the difference between them giving it to. 3 clubs in the championship rather than 72

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What's the difference between them giving it to. 3 clubs in the championship rather than 72

They do redistribute it among the championship club if a club due its 2nd, 3rd or 4th year payments gets promoted in that time. So it would actually benefit us if QPR went straight back up. I'd still laugh my cock of if they didn't though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011

I might be slightly optimistic, but it seems too much of a coincidence that he's apparently our number one target and Bournemouth who apparently have little money to spend have bid £1.5m. I could imagine the conversation now.

Sky Source: Cardiff have received a £1.5m bid from a championship club on the south cost for Joe Mason.

Sky: Bournemouth bid £1.5m for Joe Mason.

Sky are hardly ever wrong when they say "Sky Sources" and the fact that they have got this wrong suggests that there was something more to it.

Am I being too optimistic?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Because presumably the three clubs you are referring to are the relegated ones and the reason they get it is because the Prem clubs voted for that, mainly because a lot of them feared getting relegated. You do appreciate that the Premier League is a totally separate organisation to the Football League! Are the Prem clubs likely to vote to give circa £150 a year to be split to the 72 football league clubs. Apart from assisting in the financial viability of the 'football pyramid', they would get no benefit. They would probably want the money to give them a better chance of survival in the top flite. I'm not saying I like it but that is the way it is.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Sure there is plenty of game play between clubs and agents when it comes to signings and contracts. Could it be that B'mouth are unhappy at being pushed by us into offering Grabban a deal higher than they anticipated at this time, so are simply reciprocating by showing interest in our next target (firing a warning for future reference)

Or could it be that with our number 2 target now becoming number one, Masons (slightly offended) agent is playing the game and upping the anti with stories. There must be so much bull in this game, even more than with Estate Agents.

I guess so much of it is being able to give the impression you will not be walked all over. Have to be impressed by B'mouth in this respect.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Remember, if you breach FFP targets this season there are NO sanctions or penalties, and I anticipate when the Albion announce their losses they will be eye watering.

Are you saying that when Barber talked about our £8 million loss last year and that he stated he projected a further loss of £8 million for this season, he has got it all wrong and in fact losses are far greater?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are you saying that when Barber talked about our £8 million loss last year and that he stated he projected a further loss of £8 million for this season, he has got it all wrong and in fact losses are far greater?

The losses were over £9 million last year and that was with no depreciation on the stadium. Add that on, along with the signings of PIG, Bruno, Crofts, Ulloa, Bridge, Hammond and Upson, all on decent contracts compared to the players they replaced, add in that we were still winding down some League One commercial deals, then anything less than £15 million is an achievement. The increased capacity only brings in about £60,000 a game net, so revenue is up about £1.5 million for the season from higher attendances.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
The losses were over £9 million last year and that was with no depreciation on the stadium. Add that on, along with the signings of PIG, Bruno, Crofts, Ulloa, Bridge, Hammond and Upson, all on decent contracts compared to the players they replaced, add in that we were still winding down some League One commercial deals, then anything less than £15 million is an achievement. The increased capacity only brings in about £60,000 a game net, so revenue is up about £1.5 million for the season from higher attendances.
This maybe true, but other clubs are paying players more and living off half the gates and not all on parachute payments so it would appear that ffp cannot and will not ever be achieved by any club, so it appears its a waste of time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This maybe true, but other clubs are paying players more and living off half the gates and not all on parachute payments so it would appear that ffp cannot and will not ever be achieved so its a waste of time.

Hey, I was asked what I thought the numbers might be, not the merits of FFP.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
This maybe true, but other clubs are paying players more and living off half the gates and not all on parachute payments so it would appear that ffp cannot and will not ever be achieved so its a waste of time.

Agree , FFP is a dead duck because the FL/FA will not have the guts to target a big club. More likely they will pick on some poor 2nd division team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here