Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe mason to Bournemouth

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
How many players will sign a contract with a relegation clause in it ?
The players and agents have the upper hand unfortunately .

There is the problem with the game. Football is nothing without fans. If we all stopped going no one would be paid at all. Power needs to be removed from agents and players all the time. I have no problem with players wanting to better themselves at better clubs but agents have to much say and anyone seems to be able to get a licence to do it.
If i was to perform S**t at my job then i would be sacked.
People like SWP at QPR should not be on 70k per week. What has he ever done to warrant that sort of money?
I understand parachute payments and why we have them but 3 years and 60 million seems a bail out. Clubs can still make huge losses but are allowed to but players.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Excellent. The club should be due a few big payments and a few seasons against a majority of clubs under a transfer embargo in a few years time if you're right!

As it stands at the moment we wont get a penny from any fines levied against promoted clubs breaching the FFP rules because that has not been agreed with the premier league.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

That depends who they are trying to sign, for example would Bridcutt sign a contract with a relegation clause in for a chance of premier league football? Or spend the rest of the season in the championship?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
There is the problem with the game. Football is nothing without fans. If we all stopped going no one would be paid at all. Power needs to be removed from agents and players all the time. I have no problem with players wanting to better themselves at better clubs but agents have to much say and anyone seems to be able to get a licence to do it.
If i was to perform S**t at my job then i would be sacked.
People like SWP at QPR should not be on 70k per week. What has he ever done to warrant that sort of money?
I understand parachute payments and why we have them but 3 years and 60 million seems a bail out. Clubs can still make huge losses but are allowed to but players.

I agree with you.
Football is like no other business, you fail as a manager, and you get paid all your remaining salary.
Gate receipts are a drop in the ocean compared to the sky money, sponsorship and advertising,fans boycotting game won't make a big difference to most clubs.
Sad but true.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
According to the Joe Mason Wikipedia page, he signed for AFC Bournemouth in January ..........so WIKI know more than most or they jumped the gun. Either way, don't rate him, scored 1 goal in 8 matches at Bolton, so not exactly the top scorer we are after.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Where do those figures come from? My understanding was we'd received £5m for a 10yr naming rights deal (i.e. £500k p/a) and £7m for a 4yr shirt sponsorship with (i.e. £1.75m p/a). Apparently those figures also increase if we're promoted, but not by 300%. ???

The average Championship shirt sponsorship deal is worth £554,000 a year. Can't see us getting £1.75 million

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Parachute payments are a necessary evil, otherwise teams would struggle to deal with a £60 million reduction in income from one year to another.

Last season Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn all received their parachute payments as a result of being relegated. None on them made it to the top six, and they've announced losses of £33million, £50 million and £36.5 million respectively.

The fact they are making those astronomical losses WITH parachute payments says to me the current system isn't working, which was my point.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Parachute payments were brought in to help relegated clubs to survive with a high wage bill on a substantial reduced income. The problem is you have to pay inflated salaries in the Premier league to compete, and if you are relegated, you have the same wage bill for at least a year or two.

So a reward for failure is a good idea? Hmmm

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
The average Championship shirt sponsorship deal is worth £554,000 a year. Can't see us getting £1.75 million

I don't know about that. American Express against shirt sponsorships that I've never heard off? Blackpool sponsored by Wonga against American Express then who do you think would get more?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's where the real problems lie though. Football's problems all started when the Premier League was formed and clubs were given so much more money for being there than the other leagues. Without that, a lot of clubs would be in a much better situation today than they are now.

Ain't that the truth. Will never happen, but the money needs to be spread more evenly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Maybe a blanket rule should be introduced?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The FFP at every level is a joke. It's a rule brought in that will only punish clubs the UEFA want to, how are Monaco with crowds of about 4k anywhere near the FFP for a start but UEFA won't touch them.

It's the same in the football league, it will be someone like Yeovil punished

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ain't that the truth. Will never happen, but the money needs to be spread more evenly.

I agree, I would do away with the parachute payments for a start, there is 180 million ish right there to spread among league 1/2 and championship sides.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wonder if people would be so keen to do away with parachute payments if we went up via the playoffs this year? Because without them, we'd not be able to sign any premier league class players on more than a 1 year contract.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wonder if people would be so keen to do away with parachute payments if we went up via the playoffs this year? Because without them, we'd not be able to sign any premier league class players on more than a 1 year contract.

They need to cap wages and have incentive contracts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

So be it. It's called prudence. Living within your means.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here