Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clueless today

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You can't seriously believe any of that?

Good response. Gives your views in depth. I stand by every word, it is a complete over reaction. We more than matched Derby today and with a little bit of fortune (their goal was deflected and Ulloa should have had a penalty) would have got a draw, or even a win.

If you think that's clueless, then you really have seen very few games to compare it to.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Not sure if anyone else spotted (haven't read the whole thread) Andrews half hearted chase for the loose ball in midfield which ultimately led to the goal? Seemed to be his ball but then he suddenly gave up on it? The bed wetters on here will no doubt call it an optical illusion.

Heaven forbid some justified negativity on this forum.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not sure if anyone else spotted (haven't read the whole thread) Andrews half hearted chase for the loose ball in midfield which ultimately led to the goal? Seemed to be his ball but then he suddenly gave up on it? The bed wetters on here will no doubt call it an optical illusion.

Heaven forbid some justified negativity on this forum.

I take it you saw the Football League Show then. I assume it was clueless of Ulloa to not get a better shot in when the Derby defender was holding on to him in the area.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Good response. Gives your views in depth. I stand by every word, it is a complete over reaction. We more than matched Derby today and with a little bit of fortune (their goal was deflected and Ulloa should have had a penalty) would have got a draw, or even a win.

If you think that's clueless, then you really have seen very few games to compare it to.

Great stuff. Propel your argument by questioning my allegiance. Let's get this out of the way now shall we. Albion exile (90 miles to be exact) but manage to attend 25-30 games a season.

Now we can crack on. If you enjoyed today's performance you really have missed out in the last 3 years because today was dire. I'd say it was almost on a par with Bristol City away in terms of productivity and frustration. I take it you were unfortunate enough to see that very game?

Seriously pity if you think today was a worthwhile and acceptable Albion performance because in reality it was lacking in every respect

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Positive posts and an attitude of pragmatism can get you into a whole bunch of trouble with some of the TOOLS on here tonight. Just think how far we've come as a Club, and the potential to drive on.

Some of the comments, given our recent history, suggest total lack of understanding as to why a little caution is to be welcomed. We dreamed of having a team at top end of the second tier. Celebtate and enjoy!

I watched it on a stream and I was quite impressed with the way we took the game to them.
OK we lost and yes I'm gutted but we definitely gave them a run for their money.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Positive posts and an attitude of pragmatism can get you into a whole bunch of trouble with some of the TOOLS on here tonight. Just think how far we've come as a Club, and the potential to drive on.

Some of the comments, given our recent history, suggest total lack of understanding as to why a little caution is to be welcomed. We dreamed of having a team at top end of the second tier. Celebtate and enjoy!

God forbid we have higher expectations now than we have in the last 15-20 years.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
viewing a stream thought we were unlucky to lose
played some nice stuff at times
same old championship problem
lack of quality in the final third

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
There is nothing wrong with having high expectations, just remember a season is spread over 46 games.

Heaven knows the reaction if we went down to a heavy defeat.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Great stuff. Propel your argument by questioning my allegiance. Let's get this out of the way now shall we. Albion exile (90 miles to be exact) but manage to attend 25-30 games a season.

Now we can crack on. If you enjoyed today's performance you really have missed out in the last 3 years because today was dire. I'd say it was almost on a par with Bristol City away in terms of productivity and frustration. I take it you were unfortunate enough to see that very game?

Seriously pity if you think today was a worthwhile and acceptable Albion performance because in reality it was lacking in every respect

We're not going to agree on this one although it annoys me when people put words in my mouth. I didn't enjoy today. We lost and I don't enjoy defeats, even if they're 4-3.

I definitely think it was acceptable. It was a lot better than Bristol City last year and Watford away the season before, for example. It's been a tough week for the club and, to be blunt, there are a lot of people on here who were going to throw their toys out of the pram tonight if we lost, whatever the performance was like.

I prefer a more rational approach. We weren't perfect but we more than matched a team who are fourth in the league and restricted the league's top scorers to only 2 shots on target. Your reaction is more appropriate for a Bolton fan after their game today rather than a team who lost a tight game away to a team above them in the league with 6 key players out injured.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Well said. Sensible and rational.
We're not going to agree on this one although it annoys me when people put words in my mouth. I didn't enjoy today. We lost and I don't enjoy defeats, even if they're 4-3.

I definitely think it was acceptable. It was a lot better than Bristol City last year and Watford away the season before, for example. It's been a tough week for the club and, to be blunt, there are a lot of people on here who were going to throw their toys out of the pram tonight if we lost, whatever the performance was like.

I prefer a more rational approach. We weren't perfect but we more than matched a team who are fourth in the league and restricted the league's top scorers to only 2 shots on target. Your reaction is more appropriate for a Bolton fan after their game today rather than a team who lost a tight game away to a team above them in the league with 6 key players out injured.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

Possibly. Or perhaps I have more confidence in this current Brighton side than I do Bolton. My infuriation is with the fact that we can rip these teams apart if we actually had a pop. Yes I recall that Watford game as well. Indicative of how we are away from home I'm afraid.

I loved the Poyet years as next as the next man but the sad legacy is the negative approach away from home. For some reason it remains unchanged under Oscar despite the attacking football hype that he joined under. If you didn't know any different today was a Poyet side playing away from home in the championship two seasons ago. Nothing's changed

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Possibly. Or perhaps I have more confidence in this current Brighton side than I do Bolton. My infuriation is with the fact that we can rip these teams apart if we actually had a pop. Yes I recall that Watford game as well. Indicative of how we are away from home I'm afraid.

I loved the Poyet years as next as the next man but the sad legacy is the negative approach away from home. For some reason it remains unchanged under Oscar despite the attacking football hype that he joined under. If you didn't know any different today was a Poyet side playing away from home in the championship two seasons ago. Nothing's changed

That might be because of the players we have out though. We had to rely on Ulloa and Orlandi today, neither of whom look fully match fit. We had no pace up front but without KLL, Buckley and CMS, that was always likely. We also missed Crofts in midfield.

I prefer to look at a brighter picture where, despite this, we matched Derby and were unlucky to lose. I'm not saying we were great but I think you're opening post in this thread was massively harsh on the team.

I'll leave it at that for tonight. Hope we can get a few more players in for next weekend and maybe have a few back from injury.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
The Titanic went down in 1912

What were the positives?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Having listened to radio Sussex commentary and watched the fls highlights, I have to say that it looks like a typical tight away game against yet another well matched championship side.

Not sure what some people expect with both out and out wingers injured and, whilst ulloa is clearly still working back to full match sharpness, it looks like an improved performance from the Birmingham game. I'm certainly not seeing the disinterest that some are.

Personally, I think it's perfectly ok to be critical, however, it does seem that increasingly, this board tends towards extremes. It's either ok/good or completely abysmal. From my seat the true situation seems more complex than that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Having listened to radio Sussex commentary and watched the fls highlights, I have to say that it looks like a typical tight away game against yet another well matched championship side.

Not sure what some people expect with both out and out wingers injured and, whilst ulloa is clearly still working back to full match sharpness, it looks like an improved performance from the Birmingham game. I'm certainly not seeing the disinterest that some are.

Personally, I think it's perfectly ok to be critical, however, it does seem that increasingly, this board tends towards extremes. It's either ok/good or completely abysmal. From my seat the true situation seems more complex than that.

Hey mate ...i watched the full match on a big eff off telly box , the infuriating thing about yesterdays game was that it was a typical , tentative , away performance ....we push the ball about beautifully at the back but in doing so we invite teams up the field to put pressure on us, we were never in danger until mc brolly brought three attacking players on , just disappointed that the players cant do the
club some justice and have a go........obviouly Derby were no push over but i just thought that we didn't look like play-off contenders yesterday......frustrating game to watch...!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What a ridiculous thread full of over-reacting BS as is normal after ANY defeat. We actually didn't play that badly today at all and in my opinion were slightly the better of the two teams in a game, which in all fairness should have been draw. The Derby goal however was an absolute cracker and there wasn't a great deal we could have done with it. Given the absence of Kaz and Buckley were annoyingly narrow, but that was about it.

If Ulloa seemed frustrated at the end it was because he was being constantly fouled whilst getting nothing from the ref. Once again of the two keepers it was the opposition goalie who was made to really earn his corn. It was an ok performance but a very disappointing result as we probably should have got a point. It was not however the end of the world and ab excuse for heads to roll.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

But that negative approach got us to 4th in the table last year. And we are currently 7th in the table having had half the team out injured for most of the season and competing against teams who have spent shedloads more money than us.

You've got to be realistic, we're not going to win every game and the team is going to have bad patches. We weren't very good in 1 game against a solid team who beat most other teams at home, it's nothing to make a fuss about. It really isn't. :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1. Sell Bridcutt.
2. Buy Mason.
3. Bring back Conway, drop Spanish Dave.
4. Drop Andrews, put Orlandi in the middle.

Play Orlandi in the Bridcutt role?!?! Righto...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What a ridiculous thread full of over-reacting BS as is normal after ANY defeat. We actually didn't play that badly today at all and in my opinion were slightly the better of the two teams in a game, which in all fairness should have been draw. The Derby goal however was an absolute cracker and there wasn't a great deal we could have done with it. Given the absence of Kaz and Buckley were annoyingly narrow, but that was about it.

If Ulloa seemed frustrated at the end it was because he was being constantly fouled whilst getting nothing from the ref. Once again of the two keepers it was the opposition goalie who was made to really earn his corn. It was an ok performance but a very disappointing result as we probably should have got a point. It was not however the end of the world and ab excuse for heads to roll.

This.

theboybilly

Albion played well for so much of the game without really threatening (apart from Upson's effort) A measure of how well they were doing was that the Derby fans didn't sing until the 88th minute (and were almost assured of the three points). If only Brighton could have found some spark and taken the lead I don't think Derby would have been able to respond. It was very frustrating to watch but I hardly think it was a dire performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here