Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El Abd- did he jump, or was he pushed?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Wasn't there an article in the Argus recently with El-Abd saying he needs to play regular first team football to keep his place in the Egypt squad so I think that's the reason he left, to get regular first team games.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I will take away a lot of very good memories from my time with the Albion"

Adam El-Abd

Adam El-Abd says the decision he made to leave Albion was the hardest of his life – but he is now looking forward to a new challenge with Bristol City.

It was a case of stick or twist for the 29-year-old Brighton-born defender – who made the switch on Thursday evening, signing a three-and-a-half year deal with City, and in doing so ended a 20-year association with the Albion.

El-Abd – who is expected to make his debut for his new club against MK Dons today – told seagulls.co.uk, "I have been with the club as a man and boy, and never really imagined myself playing anywhere else - but at the same time I want to play regular football and currently the Albion cannot offer me that.

"There are no hard feelings, it's football. Gordon Greer and Matt Upson have been an excellent pairing at centre-half, and I know it isn't personal, but I don't want to be a reserve player sitting on the bench waiting for an injury or suspension to come on and play.

"It wasn't easy to make the decision, and it is genuinely a case of mixed emotions. I am very sad to be leaving, leaving behind a lot of friends – and the team spirit at the club is the best there is – but at the same time I am excited by a new challenge and the prospect of getting back to playing regular football.

"I have missed that this season and I must be honest, it hasn't been easy for me. I am not the type of player who can sit on the bench or in the stands. I want to be out on the pitch playing every minute I possibly can - and now more than ever at the age of 29.

"I also have a young family to think of at this stage of my career and the long-term offer from Bristol City was also a very important factor as I reached the decision."

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/mixed-emotions-for-el-abd-1301508.aspx#ZkiifMA0Dyjd4Vj3.99

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Hope his Lux-or good fortune's - in at City. Aswan your on the bench every week it must send you a bit hieroglyphic.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I believe given his service and all the circumstances we would not want to stand in his way for a few thousand.

Adam has done well for us but he is not the future and he must know that. He is tough but he will also find Bristol tough for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here