Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What makes a player a BHA 'Legend'?

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
TB has quoted today that Adam El-Abd is a club legend. So what makes you a legend? is it based on the number of appearances? number of goals? undoubted passion for the club? part of a significant moment in the club's history (e.g. Storer's goal @ Goldstone). Outside football activities (e.g. Calderon's charity work)? All of the above?

Should AEA have his picture on Legends Row?

Just asking?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
When i first saw Animal play i looked at my pal and shook my head and for a couple of seasons after that the shaking continued , then it all changed when Poyet took over he became a footballer almost overnight , ive not to this day or before it seen a player make such a change for the better in his overall game , a brilliant transformation imo , yep he will never be the best cb in the world but from the place he was to the place he is now is a world class achievement , i think the club should find a place for him on the wall for sure , he fully deserves it .

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
El-Abd has been a brilliant servant to the club and no one can really dispute that but being classed as legend is to a tad to far i feel.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
El-Abd has been a brilliant servant to the club and no one can really dispute that but being classed s a legend is to a tad to far i feel.

I tend to agree, Adam has always been one of my fave Albion players, strong, wholehearted and loyal to the cause. However l think the term 'legend' is over used. Use it too often and the word becomes downgraded.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
21 years at the same club qualifies you to be a legend in my book. He is much more deserving of 'legend' status that Leon Knight is for scoring the play off goal and he is on the wall.

Jimmy Grimble

TB has quoted today that Adam El-Abd is a club legend. So what makes you a legend? is it based on the number of appearances? number of goals? undoubted passion for the club? part of a significant moment in the club's history (e.g. Storer's goal @ Goldstone). Outside football activities (e.g. Calderon's charity work)? All of the above?

Should AEA have his picture on Legends Row?

Just asking?

I think all of what you've said is applicable, but some have more weight than others. If a player manages to combine two of the criteria you've listed - i.e. appearances and goals then they are far more likely to considered a legend (see: Zamora, B.). I think little things like having a pleasent nature, strong character, fan affinity or being a local lad can also contribute - which is probably why El-Abd is considered a legend by many.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you just are. it could be attitude, longevity, a bagfull of goals or simply a character.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Variables include:
- Leadership
- Character
- Memorable events/historical relevance
- Goals

AEA for me gets in on the localboydonegood card as well as on field antics and sheer giving 100% ness. Therefore he would get my vote above the bland Mayo. Of course Garry Nelson should have pride of place with Wardy.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If you count kerry mayo, OGH and kupiers as legends then El-abd is certainly one too.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Combination of longevity, full-blooded commitment to the cause, staggering improvement as a player, and a character who always lifted the fans and the team. Proper legend.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If you count kerry mayo, OGH and kupiers as legends then El-abd is certainly one too.

Which just goes to show that a legend is in the eye of the beholder. In my book OGH is a yes, and Kuipers is a no.

To me Legend is a bit more like someone who has or we know will go down in Albion folklore. We have had debates on here in the past re who we would have on the wall, and how we would go about nominating ones in the future. It is for this reason we should really have a bit more of an overall supporters club made up from all the various ones that currently exist. We could at least then have some acceptably democratic way of nominating and agrreing legends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here