Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Balcombe Tunnel Flooded

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Basically, you dont give 2 shits about the cause of it - despite the moaning at the TOC and Network Rail that its delaying you. Assume you feel the same if it was a 1 under then ?

Aaaaaa, bring in the jumper scenario to take the moral high ground.

Having commuted for near on 10 years I accept things happen, that could be the weather, signal failure or whatever - the cause is immatrial to my frustration.

It is the completly hopeless response to these incidents, the TOC are frankly useless - I accept their staff probably aren't the best paid but they have the attitude of couldn't give a stuff - they are paid for customer service, all too often this is lacking.

The TOC could plan better, I cannot believe in this day and age of real time communications, IT systems that could probably model potential problems (at a high level such as high risk areas such as the Balcombe tunnel being closed) that there response, comms, and ability to bounce back once the problem is resolved could be 100 times better.

If I was paying 10p a day, fair enough, but these companies make millions in profit - how about investing some of this to make those that have to commutes lives just that little bit better.

Chris Burchill should hang his head in shame.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Aaaaaa, bring in the jumper scenario to take the moral high ground.

Having commuted for near on 10 years I accept things happen, that could be the weather, signal failure or whatever - the cause is immatrial to my frustration.

It is the completly hopeless response to these incidents, the TOC are frankly useless - I accept their staff probably aren't the best paid but they have the attitude of couldn't give a stuff - they are paid for customer service, all too often this is lacking.

The TOC could plan better, I cannot believe in this day and age of real time communications, IT systems that could probably model potential problems (at a high level such as high risk areas such as the Balcombe tunnel being closed) that there response, comms, and ability to bounce back once the problem is resolved could be 100 times better.

If I was paying 10p a day, fair enough, but these companies make millions in profit - how about investing some of this to make those that have to commutes lives just that little bit better.

Chris Burchill should hang his head in shame.

I was using it as an example, flooding, lightning strikes, animals on the line etc also count. Staff do give a shit, mainly because they are often stuck as well. They do do a thankless job at times where they just get abuse from commuters who they are trying to help - often frontline staff have barely any info to work with when they are confronted with hundreds of people wanting info immediately.

The line at Balcombe still has some water on it (hence the reduced service) and there is a speed restriction over it now. IT systems cant predict when or where flooding can occur (though some places are pretty obvious of course) especially when the ground is already soaking wet. With running an intensive service with tight turnarounds at final stations, delays get carried onto the next service, and the one after that, and after that etc - why trains get cancelled and terminated short.

Also, train companies only get 3p from every £1 of train fare as profit. The train companies dont deal with the infrastructure so wont invest in it, though Southern have new trains on the way so your 3p isnt just going into their bank account. Network Rail are the ones who need to sort the infrastructure out. Balcombe Tunnel needs an upgrade, but it will take months to sort with a full closure, even then - people will still moan.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I was using it as an example, flooding, lightning strikes, animals on the line etc also count. Staff do give a shit, mainly because they are often stuck as well. They do do a thankless job at times where they just get abuse from commuters who they are trying to help - often frontline staff have barely any info to work with when they are confronted with hundreds of people wanting info immediately.

The line at Balcombe still has some water on it (hence the reduced service) and there is a speed restriction over it now. IT systems cant predict when or where flooding can occur (though some places are pretty obvious of course) especially when the ground is already soaking wet. With running an intensive service with tight turnarounds at final stations, delays get carried onto the next service, and the one after that, and after that etc - why trains get cancelled and terminated short.

Also, train companies only get 3p from every £1 of train fare as profit. The train companies dont deal with the infrastructure so wont invest in it, though Southern have new trains on the way so your 3p isnt just going into their bank account. Network Rail are the ones who need to sort the infrastructure out. Balcombe Tunnel needs an upgrade, but it will take months to sort with a full closure, even then - people will still moan.

I don't doubt they do a thankless task, don't we all? Even when there isn't disruption they can be rude and ignorant - not all, but I've seen it many times. And as for lack of frontline information, that's my point - where is the investment in this. I get complaints in my line of work, I am professional enough to not deal with a customer rudely, especially in front of them.

When you say 3p profit in every pound, that is 3p PURE profit - in their pocket, no expenses just money that have made and is for them to do what they like with it - what I'm suggesting is how about 2p of that PURE profit is plowed back into being more efficient, more info for frontline staff, contingency planning etc..

Your point about IT systems is true in some part however what we do know is that regardless of cause the tunnel could be closed - or a platform at Gatwick blocked, how about thinking what they need to do in that situation, what info their staff need, where to position station staff to ensure travelers have access to the best and appropriate information - where trains should be positioned to minimise impact once the problem is resolved? All this seems to be lacking.

It's not rocket science, although Southern and FCC seem to be completely inept at it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The line is open again according to NR website, although obviously with delays.....hopefully largely sorted for the rush hour this evening

Frustrating as the delays are, the service now is IMHO much better than it was 10-15 years ago with the slam door trains, regular 'lineside fires', leaves on the line and worst of all strikes. Any delay is an excuse for a tirade of abuse at an easy target and whilst I agree there is still a load of work to be done, it would have to be funded, and peak-time tickets (us commuters are a captive market) are already pretty expensive. I don't think commuting by train is any less reliable than driving (the A23 was also closed this morning for flooding I think), and when it works well (most of the time) it's a whole lot less stressful as far as I am concerned. Always find it amusing to overhear phone calls on the train in the evening when the train is delayed - anything more than 5 mins leads to calls like 'the ******* trains are ******** useless, going to be really late.....' etc. Chill out, not a lot you can do about it. The real 'disaster days' are few and far between

Of course, I have now jinxed the network and it'll be completely f*cked this afternoon, and I won't get home from work until midnight. Sorry.

:shootself

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Just a quick heads up, the FCC line north of London is still not open and National Rail are advising that disruption may continue into tomorrow. The big problem is that this is also the same line that East Midlands Trains use from St Pancras to Derby. So if anyone is planning on going by train tomorrow, I suggest you keep a close eye on the Network Rail website.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I made it back from clapham about an hour ago. no one had an idea if the train was running through to hove apart from the conductor. train staff had no idea what was going on.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
From what I see the overwhelming majority of 'customers' are more than patient. When I worked in a shop I had people having a go at me for not having any Red Wine Vinegar so I suggest that if you can't deal with the odd stroppy customer you shouldn't be in a front line role.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
From what I see the overwhelming majority of 'customers' are more than patient. When I worked in a shop I had people having a go at me for not having any Red Wine Vinegar so I suggest that if you can't deal with the odd stroppy customer you shouldn't be in a front line role.

One thing I think that has improved over the years is the On-Train staff (are they still called guards ?) - they are so much better than the old days. True, they usually have little information given to them, but that's not their fault. My friend passed out on the morning train recently and the guard was super - which is more than can be said for the other passengers around us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just a quick heads up, the FCC line north of London is still not open and National Rail are advising that disruption may continue into tomorrow. The big problem is that this is also the same line that East Midlands Trains use from St Pancras to Derby. So if anyone is planning on going by train tomorrow, I suggest you keep a close eye on the Network Rail website.

Is there disruption now on this line up to Derby? If so, does that mean my ticket for a specific train later today is now valid on any train due to the disruption ?

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Is there disruption now on this line up to Derby? If so, does that mean my ticket for a specific train later today is now valid on any train due to the disruption ?

There aren't any trains from London to Derby at the moment, so I suppose you could have your pick of any of them!

National Rail website is saying tickets from London to Derby are currently valid on Virgin services from Euston to Birmingham. I'm not sure how that helps though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There aren't any trains from London to Derby at the moment, so I suppose you could have your pick of any of them!

National Rail website is saying tickets from London to Derby are currently valid on Virgin services from Euston to Birmingham. I'm not sure how that helps though.

Oh I see

:FFSPuncheon

Although you can get an onward train to Derby from Birmingham.

Right that's it, I'm offski now via Birmingham, no point in waiting for my 8:55 train, which may never run.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Current alternatives are Virgin to Stoke or Tamworth and change to the Derby train, going to add about an hour on, fingers crossed its sorted by the morning

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not if disrupted on Southern but East Midlands will probably not care a jot what is happening on Southern

Hmm fairly ironic now it seems it might be ok up to London but no trains on East Midlands to Derby - hopefully this will also be sorted by tomorrow morning

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Trains between Oxted and East Grinstead suspended because of flooding

reckon we need a BML3 then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh I see

:FFSPuncheon

Although you can get an onward train to Derby from Birmingham.

Right that's it, I'm offski now via Birmingham, no point in waiting for my 8:55 train, which may never run.

RESULT !!!

Now on a train to Doncaster, change there for onward trains to Derby. Will get there well earlier than planned for bonus beer-age.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not if disrupted on Southern but East Midlands will probably not care a jot what is happening on Southern

East Midlands trains totally shagged themselves at the moment with nothing running out of St Pancras.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
East Midlands trains totally shagged themselves at the moment with nothing running out of St Pancras.

Yes, problem at Hendon, may need to check early tomorrow what to do grrrrr

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Arun Valley line Barnham - Horsham has closed due to flooding and re-opened again seemingly all within the last hour or so.

Southern site now says
"The line between Hurst Green and East Grinstead is now open, and the Arun Valley line between Horsham and Barnham is open once again. However, weather forecasts predict more rain during this evening's peak service, and we are anticipating conditions getting increasingly difficult as the evening progresses. We would therefore advise passengers to travel earlier if at all possible.
Please check before you travel and allow extra time for your journey."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here