Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just as well WFH today, hope this is sorted for tomorrow

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Was on the Ldn Bdg (0711) train at hove as that was canned and sent back west, the Ldn Vic was on the other platform...canned and the conductor said dont gonto brighton as that is chaos. Suggestion was go via Littlehampton. Er no. I am WFH now. Get in!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know acts of nature happen, but this week I've been unable to get to London Bridge twice. Once due to a broken down train and I missed a meeting and today due to floods and I'm missing meetings.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another WFH day for me then!

Yep same here. I walked up to the station, stood there for 5 minutes, then turned round and came home.

The Balcombe Tunnel really is dreadful, if it isn't flooded the roof is in danger of falling down.

Still at least it's the only issue I've had on the trains this week......... oh no wait, that's clearly a lie.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
are you going to pay for it though? given the informative history from bladders above, i wonder if a new, properly constructed tunnel in parallel is a cost effective solution, along with other fixes along the line. BML2 isnt going to address issues once in London area.

Well, no solution will address issues once in the London area... and it would cost a tiny, tiny fraction of what they intend to spend on HS2, which isn't even really needed IMHO.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
It's no better north of London either. There are currently no FCC trains running south into London. Their incompetence is compounded by a complete lack of any knowledge of what's going on.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Brighton is cut off !!!! A23/M23 closed, Brighton/London line closed, A27 closed at Chichester. Stand by for the Zombie apocalypse.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Woke up, checked National Rail departures, got back into bed.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you had a business in London would you bother employing anyone who had to commute theses days? I would want someone who gets in on time every day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you had a business in London would you bother employing anyone who had to commute theses days? I would want someone who gets in on time every day.

Thankfully these days, a lot of employers embrace remote working, which is not too difficult to arrange these days, especially given most IT systems are hosted online.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Where are these people? I work with five other people - all of us live outside London. My boss lives outside London, his boss lives outside London. At a rough guess, about 50% of the company lives outside London - firms would struggle to recruit people if they limited themselves to London residents only

Thankfully these days, a lot of employers embrace remote working, which is not too difficult to arrange these days, especially given most IT systems are hosted online.

Is the correct answer. Expect to see more of it in the coming years: I WFH two days a week and may make it three later this year

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If this is the case why spend 4k a year on a travel card?

Because my employer does expect me in 2/3 days a week, which still works out cheaper than paying £56 a day or whatever it is now. And in circumstances like today, rather than me disappearing, I'm still able to do a full days work.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
southern trains.JPG

theboybilly

BML2 would be cost-effective but is being thwarted by the Marquee project that is HS2. Farringdon would become the hub of the London networks, and the associated East Croydon upgrades would be so beneficial south of the river. In my view the re-opening of the Shoreham -Horsham route (Downslink) would be much, much better than Lewes-Uckfield.
Brighton NEEDS a secondary route to London.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BML2 would be cost-effective but is being thwarted by the Marquee project that is HS2. Farringdon would become the hub of the London networks, and the associated East Croydon upgrades would be so beneficial south of the river. In my view the re-opening of the Shoreham -Horsham route (Downslink) would be much, much better than Lewes-Uckfield.
Brighton NEEDS a secondary route to London.

Is the Shoreham to Horsham line viable? Hasn't part of it been built on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here