Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
upson-l229-1299074_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
21:00 16th January 2014
by Luke Nicoli
I’d say we’ve got more strength in depth this season"
Matthew Upson
Matthew Upson believes Albion have a ‘good chance’ of promotion this season.
The Seagulls entered the play-off places last weekend, following the 1-0 home win against Birmingham City, and the experienced defender has challenged the side to continue their recent good form for the remainder of the season.
In an interview in last Saturday’s Seagull, the club’s matchday programme, he said, “If we keep functioning as we have done of late then we should remain in the mix and I would like to think that we can finish in the top two – I genuinely believe that.*
“When you look at the transition in terms of management, and the subsequent injuries we’ve had, we find ourselves in a very positive position. If we can get to within four or five points of the top, then we have a real chance. I’m optimistic that we have a good chance of promotion.”
Upson has also praised the strength of Oscar Garcia’s squad and believes it is stronger than the one which reached the play-offs last season.
“I’d say we’ve got more strength in depth this season,” he added. “The management have more options, we have more players and there is more competition among the senior players.*
“We are better equipped to deal with injuries and suspensions as a result and we’ve got cover for every position now, which is important to any team that has ambitions of being successful.”
Read the full interview with Matthew in the Birmingham City edition of Seagull, which is still available in the club store, priced £3.50.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here