Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oscar having a say in these transfers ?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If Oscar's not heavily involved in transfer dealing I wouldn't mind betting it's more through choice than anything else, He did say earlier in the season he found it hard work as he's never had to deal with them before but I bet he's still has a big say in who we go after and who leaves.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just said on another thread but some tweets suggesting Nathan Jones wanted Barnes and El Abd out. Also with Burke.

From the argus and attributed to Barnes ;
“How I felt was do they want me? I knew from the gaffer Oscar Garcia and Jonesy’s (assistant Nathan Jones) point of view that they wanted to keep me for a long time."
So if Jones wanted him out, he managed to keep it hidden from Barnes himself or more likely the tweets are bollox.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
From the argus and attributed to Barnes ;
“How I felt was do they want me? I knew from the gaffer Oscar Garcia and Jonesy’s (assistant Nathan Jones) point of view that they wanted to keep me for a long time."
So if Jones wanted him out, he managed to keep it hidden from Barnes himself or more likely the tweets are bollox.

This

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who was it, at the Albion, who said that we wouldn't be doing very much business in this transfer window? Whoever it was, doesn't know what's going on in the club.

Edited - I've found it.

Bloom said: “I don’t like doing too much business in January and this January I don’t expect to do very much at all.”

:shrug:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Albion chairman Tony Bloom paid tribute to the wholehearted central defender, saying, "Players of Adam's calibre in terms of loyalty to one club are a rare breed in the modern game. He has given us many years of service having come through the youth set up and has earned his place in our history books.

"He has risen with the club, helping us gain promotion to the Championship via the play-offs in 2004 and as champions in 2011, when he also won the player of the year award, and he has risen to many challenges under a number of different managers.

"I'm sad to see him leave, but he is the type of player who wants to be playing - particularly at this stage of his career. He lives for 90 minutes on the pitch and always gives 100% to the cause. I've no doubt he will prove a fine acquisition for Bristol City.

"He has given excellent service to the club and has been one of our most successful home-grown players. On behalf of all at the club, and all Albion fans, I would like to thank Adam for outstanding service and wish him the very best for the future."

Head coach Oscar Garcia added, "We wanted to keep Adam in the squad but we understand his position: at his age, he wants to play every game"

"He has been a great player for this club over many years, and I would like to thank him for his hard work since I arrived. We all wish him well for the future because he deserves it"

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/el-abd-leaves-albion-1298662.aspx#VzsgA17TSY1vGslv.99

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Who was it, at the Albion, who said that we wouldn't be doing very much business in this transfer window? Whoever it was, doesn't know what's going on in the club.

Edited - I've found it.

Bloom said: “I don’t like doing too much business in January and this January I don’t expect to do very much at all.”

Oh, come on. When did he say that? I would expect before we knew Barnes was on his way.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Edited - I've found it.

Think he meant to say I don't mind selling the whole first team but we'll bring in maybe one first team player and play the development squad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Despite what TB said in Oct, the club will do what business in the transfer window is necessary subject to the financial constraints.
2. It's already been stated that OG has a big say in who we bring in.
3. Players leaving is more down to them than anyone else. If they are not in the first team, such as AEA, then I don't blame them for wanting to move on and nobody at the club can do anything about it other than offer stupid money which of course we don't do. Youngsters will be told of their prospects with the first team and if there aren't any, such as Barker and Dickenson then they would understandably try their luck elsewhere. Finally, we are obviously going to sell players who won't sign a contract.

Best wishes to AEA in his new venture but life goes on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Think he meant to say I don't mind selling the whole first team but we'll bring in maybe one first team player and play the development squad.

A bit negative don't you think?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He definitely does IMO, I think it's obvious he prefers to more cultured style of Greer, which is fair enough & if Adam didn't want to sit on the bench anymore he was always going to want to leave, he wanted first team football we csnt guarantee him it unlike Brizzle city. People are just so emotionally attached to Adam understandably because he is one of the ones who saw the rough times.

Both transfers I can't see overly bothering Oscar if I'm honest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Christ there's some bedwetting going on tonight. We've sold two players and let a loanee go back to their club. We've brought in a loanee and are in talks with another striker. I don't think you even liked Barnes and as for El Abd, brilliant lad and club servant that he was he was also third choice Centre Back in the Championship. Neither Barnes nor AEA would have stayed if we went up. The time to judge the window's business is at the end of the season, not RIGHT NOW because you're a wee bit impatient that we haven't announced a new signing in a couple of days.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Nathan Jones is not going to have a say in terms of building the squad over Oscar! David Burke probably has the biggest influence though. Seems to be the way these days (see Spurs - AvB sacked for not getting the best out of players he didn't want to sign in the first place!).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Christ there's some bedwetting going on tonight. We've sold two players and let a loanee go back to their club. We've brought in a loanee and are in talks with another striker. I don't think you even liked Barnes and as for El Abd, brilliant lad and club servant that he was he was also third choice Centre Back in the Championship. Neither Barnes nor AEA would have stayed if we went up. The time to judge the window's business is at the end of the season, not RIGHT NOW because you're a wee bit impatient that we haven't announced a new signing in a couple of days.

It's all a bit pathetic, isn't it. But that's NSC, if there were no transfers in or out going on, people would be complaining too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here