Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing at a football match

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
After the awarding of a dubious penalty against The Albion, I was reliably informed by an extremely helpful steward at the Bournemouth game that there is now zero tolerance towards any swearing around the whole of The Amex.
In questioning the validity of this policy (pointing out the East Stand / Family section) he then took my query all the way down to pitch-side (thus vacating his important position) and raised it with his superior.
Being a very helpful bunch, the supervisor also took the trouble to travel all the way from pitch-side to the top of the NW 5 minutes later to explain how this was so and that no genuine supporter should ever question the conduct and application of the stewarding family.
As i 'begged to differ' with his response, i took it upon myself to vacate the stadium of my own accord as my presence was obviously upsetting to them.
He must have been taken with me as he insisted on taking my contact details. My mum always taught me not to give such details to strange men, so i thanked him and graciously declined his request.
Well, he must have been so upset by my rejection of his advances he took it upon himself to discover my details and send me a very nasty letter telling all sorts of lies about me. He went on to say that he didn't want to see me for at least 2 months and if i did it again then he never wants to see me again forever!

Now should I give in to his advances or find myself another friend?

A quick look and it seems you've had this "problem" before.

Funny that

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I hate hearing swearing. It is not necessary . Most of people who swear would not swear in front of their mothers so why can't they control themselves when out and about?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Maybe we can have a watershed like the telly does, we can swear after 9 pm at midweek games but not at the Saturday games.

Last season or maybe the one before, I was outside a pub in Brighton and some choice language was being exchanged between the Brighton fans there assembled and some passing opposition, a copper stepped forward and said " the next person I hear swearing is F*cking nicked" which goes to show how easily it can slip out when one is trying to emphasise a point, or a referee does something stupid.

The tall one

Banned
Jan 2, 2007
After the awarding of a dubious penalty against The Albion, I was reliably informed by an extremely helpful steward at the Bournemouth game that there is now zero tolerance towards any swearing around the whole of The Amex.
In questioning the validity of this policy (pointing out the East Stand / Family section) he then took my query all the way down to pitch-side (thus vacating his important position) and raised it with his superior.
Being a very helpful bunch, the supervisor also took the trouble to travel all the way from pitch-side to the top of the NW 5 minutes later to explain how this was so and that no genuine supporter should ever question the conduct and application of the stewarding family.
As i 'begged to differ' with his response, i took it upon myself to vacate the stadium of my own accord as my presence was obviously upsetting to them.
He must have been taken with me as he insisted on taking my contact details. My mum always taught me not to give such details to strange men, so i thanked him and graciously declined his request.
Well, he must have been so upset by my rejection of his advances he took it upon himself to discover my details and send me a very nasty letter telling all sorts of lies about me. He went on to say that he didn't want to see me for at least 2 months and if i did it again then he never wants to see me again forever!

Now should I give in to his advances or find myself another friend?

Meant to quote the OP

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I hate hearing swearing. It is not necessary . Most of people who swear would not swear in front of their mothers so why can't they control themselves when out and about?

I wouldn't normally swear in front of my Mother, but if she had given a penalty against Calde for a perfectly good tackle, I would tell the bitch to **** right off.

Jan 30, 2008
A mate of mine was ejected on two separate occasions, by Police from the North Stand of the Goldstone in the 80's, both times when he joined in with a couple of thousand other fans, the often heard chant stating the inability to hear the oppositions fans chanting. These were his only brushes with the law at football until a couple of years later, when we were both arrested at an away game after an incident in Nottingham, the local police arrested about 50 Brighton supporters, looking for the two or three they wanted amongst us. My friend was told during questioning that Sussex police had reported to them (Nottinghamshire), that he was a persistent football offender.
The fact is we both had been involved on occasions in various incidents, but neither of us had any arrests, let alone convictions, just my mates ejections for swearing got him the title "persistent football offender", and his house was raided and turned over by Sussex Police whilst we were in custody in Nottingham, my place was left alone.
That was the Football Intelligence Unit for you.
???
regards
DR

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't mind the occasional rant but I had a real go at the bloke who sits behind me last game of last season. He got himself more worked up than ever and his language in front of kids, women and the rest was to be honest absolutely disgusting. To his credit he apologised to me first game of this season and has generally kept his language down to an acceptable level ever since.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've never understood the need for swearing. Poor vocabulary I suppose.
You suppose wrong. Just because you don't understand the benefit of swearing, doesn't mean there's no need for it.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Thing is, some of us have to act calm and professional I'm our jobs all week long and it's nice to let loose for them 90 minutes. I don't swear too much unless the ref is a wanker or the other team are dirty northern *******s. Sometimes if I'm really angry I shout FOR FLUCK SAKE :blush:

Edit: how is wanker allowed on here and not baaaarstards?!

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
Nearly everyone swore after that decision, makes me think there is a bit more to this than the OP mentioned.

The OP has history. Used to be a STH in the East and got several warnings for his behaviour and constant swearing. He was ejected from one game and was issued with a ban.
He's obviously resurfaced in the North but hasn't learnt from his past mistakes.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
if stewards have honestly been told to clamp down on swearing it a complete joke and another nail in the coffin of football..

SW corner there's a decent amount that goes on but never seen anyone have a steward talk to them

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
wont be long before you hear

"we swear when we want
We swear when want
Were Brighton and Hove Albion
We swear when we want"

It won't be long before there'll be ....

No more "The referee's a wanker!" it'll be "The referee's a spoil sport!"
No more "You're shit arrrghhhhhhhhhh" it'll have to be "you're not very good, arrrrrggghhhh"
and instead of "who the f*ck, who the f*ck, who the f*cking hell are you?" it'll have to be "Who on Earth, who on Earth, who on God's green Earth are you?"

And it would be a lot more pleasant to hear 25,000 voices chanting .... "would you jolly well go home palace!" :rolleyes:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Good job you don't stand by us in the north stand...bunch of fecking potty mouths around us!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

I do not believe a word----are you a born again VICAR:moo:
I swear in front of my Mum/Dad all the time -- they are both VERY OLD & I'm fifty seven.
They both swear on a regular basis :eek:
It's normally about Drivers/Migrants/The Weather/MY CUSTOMER'S/THE Fecking GREEN council/travellers/cyclists/fracking & when I can get a word in I swear about the THE ALBION and all the dipsticks Iv'e met in the last three years:albion2:
Every BALD Referee has been crap this season IMO and I will f n blind at them until they prove me wrong:rolleyes:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
one of my favourite songs was and always will be

"my old man said be a palace fan...
i said : xxxx xxx, xxxxxxxx, you´re x xxxx"

my dad who died in 2009 is the reason why i am on here and why i am going to watford on sunday 2nd
at the amex he is on the wall as the "1st of many" ...
he was vicar of bishop hannington church hove in the 70s when i first heard that song.
it was so ridiculous, as my dad who was born in croydon would never ever have said "be a palace fan" that
i loved it and still do!

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Personally I think no swearing at a football match is acceptable and anyone who disagrees can *uck off :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here