Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing at a football match

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
To save spoiling future days out why don't you practice expressing your anger in ways that will not offend Stewards and other people who do get tired of people swearing all the time?

I do see the OPs point but rules are rules

Try : Gosh Referee that was a very stupid decision :) Do you do a lot of hand exercises? etc. :p

I really wasn't even swearing that much. Although I admit I might have let out a 'Oh for ****s sake' during a missed opportunity. It certainly didn't offend the people sitting around me.

I'll call the ref a tiddlywink in future, until they ban that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Really? I'm Row W just underneath the big Screen (well slightly to the left) in the north and spend the whole game swearing. As long as its not racist or homophobic the stewards let us get on with it.

I'm just to the right, we must be very, very close. The stewards obviously crack down on my neck of the woods more than yours!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
After the awarding of a dubious penalty against The Albion, I was reliably informed by an extremely helpful steward at the Bournemouth game that there is now zero tolerance towards any swearing around the whole of The Amex.
In questioning the validity of this policy (pointing out the East Stand / Family section) he then took my query all the way down to pitch-side (thus vacating his important position) and raised it with his superior.
Being a very helpful bunch, the supervisor also took the trouble to travel all the way from pitch-side to the top of the NW 5 minutes later to explain how this was so and that no genuine supporter should ever question the conduct and application of the stewarding family.
As i 'begged to differ' with his response, i took it upon myself to vacate the stadium of my own accord as my presence was obviously upsetting to them.
He must have been taken with me as he insisted on taking my contact details. My mum always taught me not to give such details to strange men, so i thanked him and graciously declined his request.
Well, he must have been so upset by my rejection of his advances he took it upon himself to discover my details and send me a very nasty letter telling all sorts of lies about me. He went on to say that he didn't want to see me for at least 2 months and if i did it again then he never wants to see me again forever!

Now should I give in to his advances or find myself another friend?

:lolol:The innocent-sounding way you made that post sound made me chuckle.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
I'm surprised by this. Generally the North stand stewards are told to clamp down on swearing in the fringe areas of the stand where more families and kids sit and leave the central 'standing' core to it.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Yeah, I've been told off for swearing. I sit backrow, centre, in the North Stand. I mentioned it on here a few weeks ago, it really ruined my day out.

I'm surprised by this. Generally the North stand stewards are told to clamp down on swearing in the fringe areas of the stand where more families and kids sit and leave the central 'standing' core to it.

Apologies, meant to quote this post.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
I'd like to know the answer as well as I run the se,south and sw parts of the stadium and never tell home or away fans off for swearing.

I have worked in the north stand for roughly two years and only since the beginning of this season have we been told to actively clamp down on swearing.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
wont be long before you hear

"we swear when we want
We swear when want
Were Brighton and Hove Albion
We swear when we want"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I swore a lot up until the Bournemouth game when I went a touch overboard and the bloke in front of me said, quite rightly, enough's enough. I've been making an effort to keep it behind my teeth since then.

Oddly enough that has filtered into my life away from the Amex as well. I've been a lot less foul mouthed in recent weeks.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A mate of mine was ejected on two separate occasions, by Police from the North Stand of the Goldstone in the 80's, both times when he joined in with a couple of thousand other fans, the often heard chant stating the inability to hear the oppositions fans chanting. These were his only brushes with the law at football until a couple of years later, when we were both arrested at an away game after an incident in Nottingham, the local police arrested about 50 Brighton supporters, looking for the two or three they wanted amongst us. My friend was told during questioning that Sussex police had reported to them (Nottinghamshire), that he was a persistent football offender.
The fact is we both had been involved on occasions in various incidents, but neither of us had any arrests, let alone convictions, just my mates ejections for swearing got him the title "persistent football offender", and his house was raided and turned over by Sussex Police whilst we were in custody in Nottingham, my place was left alone.
That was the Football Intelligence Unit for you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
After the awarding of a dubious penalty against The Albion, I was reliably informed by an extremely helpful steward at the Bournemouth game that there is now zero tolerance towards any swearing around the whole of The Amex.
In questioning the validity of this policy (pointing out the East Stand / Family section) he then took my query all the way down to pitch-side (thus vacating his important position) and raised it with his superior.
Being a very helpful bunch, the supervisor also took the trouble to travel all the way from pitch-side to the top of the NW 5 minutes later to explain how this was so and that no genuine supporter should ever question the conduct and application of the stewarding family.
As i 'begged to differ' with his response, i took it upon myself to vacate the stadium of my own accord as my presence was obviously upsetting to them.
He must have been taken with me as he insisted on taking my contact details. My mum always taught me not to give such details to strange men, so i thanked him and graciously declined his request.
Well, he must have been so upset by my rejection of his advances he took it upon himself to discover my details and send me a very nasty letter telling all sorts of lies about me. He went on to say that he didn't want to see me for at least 2 months and if i did it again then he never wants to see me again forever!

Now should I give in to his advances or find myself another friend?

I'm struggling to understand why you continued to "beg to differ" ? Why not just shut the hell up and watch the rest of the match ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here