Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing at a football match

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
After the awarding of a dubious penalty against The Albion, I was reliably informed by an extremely helpful steward at the Bournemouth game that there is now zero tolerance towards any swearing around the whole of The Amex.
In questioning the validity of this policy (pointing out the East Stand / Family section) he then took my query all the way down to pitch-side (thus vacating his important position) and raised it with his superior.
Being a very helpful bunch, the supervisor also took the trouble to travel all the way from pitch-side to the top of the NW 5 minutes later to explain how this was so and that no genuine supporter should ever question the conduct and application of the stewarding family.
As i 'begged to differ' with his response, i took it upon myself to vacate the stadium of my own accord as my presence was obviously upsetting to them.
He must have been taken with me as he insisted on taking my contact details. My mum always taught me not to give such details to strange men, so i thanked him and graciously declined his request.
Well, he must have been so upset by my rejection of his advances he took it upon himself to discover my details and send me a very nasty letter telling all sorts of lies about me. He went on to say that he didn't want to see me for at least 2 months and if i did it again then he never wants to see me again forever!

Now should I give in to his advances or find myself another friend?

If your Mum had additionally taught you not to swear you wouldn't be in this dilemma.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I was surprisingly thrown out of the North Stand, Goldstone in the 70s for joining in with a chant which included the word bloody! I didn't argue, he was big and said you you and you out! I just went into the chicken run, appropriately. Yes there were at least three of us.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've never understood the need for swearing. Poor vocabulary I suppose.

So when the ref incorrectly gave that penalty what did you shout at him?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I thought that the East Stand was the "Respect" stand and during the initial presentations people we're told that there would be a more liberal approach to swearing in the North Stand? I don't like people swearing around my children so picked the East Stand, to be fair most are find there, although we all have our moments!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yeah, I've been told off for swearing. I sit backrow, centre, in the North Stand. I mentioned it on here a few weeks ago, it really ruined my day out.

To save spoiling future days out why don't you practice expressing your anger in ways that will not offend Stewards and other people who do get tired of people swearing all the time?

I do see the OPs point but rules are rules

Try : Gosh Referee that was a very stupid decision :) Do you do a lot of hand exercises? etc. :p

pal4life

Sep 6, 2008
You and probably 18000 others were also swearing (inc me and my mates) and apparently it was very clearly heard on the radio. So it does seem a bit pitiful to single any one person out, plus the ref was a **nker!

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
After the awarding of a dubious penalty against The Albion, I was reliably informed by an extremely helpful steward at the Bournemouth game that there is now zero tolerance towards any swearing around the whole of The Amex.
In questioning the validity of this policy (pointing out the East Stand / Family section) he then took my query all the way down to pitch-side (thus vacating his important position) and raised it with his superior.
Being a very helpful bunch, the supervisor also took the trouble to travel all the way from pitch-side to the top of the NW 5 minutes later to explain how this was so and that no genuine supporter should ever question the conduct and application of the stewarding family.
As i 'begged to differ' with his response, i took it upon myself to vacate the stadium of my own accord as my presence was obviously upsetting to them.
He must have been taken with me as he insisted on taking my contact details. My mum always taught me not to give such details to strange men, so i thanked him and graciously declined his request.
Well, he must have been so upset by my rejection of his advances he took it upon himself to discover my details and send me a very nasty letter telling all sorts of lies about me. He went on to say that he didn't want to see me for at least 2 months and if i did it again then he never wants to see me again forever!

Now should I give in to his advances or find myself another friend?

It must have been quite a foul mouthed rant for them to actually have to speak to you! Plus its not rocket science, perhaps if you had given them your details you wouldn't have been banned??

Amazing how people can't seem to actually behave at a football match!As said in a previous post i think the stewards are doing a much better job this season and that supervisor ( quite a big fella) is normally fine so cant see why he would have been different with you!

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
You and probably 18000 others were also swearing (inc me and my mates) and apparently it was very clearly heard on the radio. So it does seem a bit pitiful to single any one person out, plus the ref was a **nker!

Nearly everyone swore after that decision, makes me think there is a bit more to this than the OP mentioned.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here