Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The economics of North Stand Chat

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A question for Bozza more than anybody else, but I thought I'd put it on here rather than as a PM as I thought others may be interested or have a contribution to make.

How much does it cost (broadly) to keep NSC up and running per year, and what proportion of that is generated via advertising, click-throughs, other revenue streams etc? Is NSC pretty solvent in the short to medium term, or will more money have to be found to keep it running in its current format?

If this isn't for public discussion, apologies and please delete the thread. Just interested, that's all.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6129645 said:
I'm pretty sure Bozza posts the accounts monthly in one of the sub forums

I know that he did, and I had a look the other day but couldn't find it. Might just be me looking in the wrong place though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Always happy to help...

NSC's costs go up and down but tend to run in the region of £500-£700 per month for hosting. It dipped recently - for no reason I can easily identify - and is now rising again.

We're hosted on the Rackspace cloud so pay for the resources we use. In Rackspace speak this is 'Compute Cycles' - we get 10,000 included in our standing monthly payment. Beyond that we pay 1c per cycle and we've hit 90,000 in a month before.

Costs beyond that are a small bit for domain registration and Cloudflare for security protection.

Income is all about Google. When you're logged in there's a banner in the top right and two at the very bottom. They generate around 90% of NSC's income. Some earn for just being there and some for being clicked but Google control all of that.

The rest of what we earn comes from Amazon. Click our link and buy something and we earn a bit.

Month on month NSC earns a profit which is why we can make charitable donations, as well as helping other Albion related causes. We must have donated something like £4-5000 last year I think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh - and I take the mods out for food and all the beer they can drink from time to time. But they earn it.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Always happy to help...

NSC's costs go up and down but tend to run in the region of £500-£700 per month for hosting. It dipped recently - for no reason I can easily identify - and is now rising again.

We're hosted on the Rackspace cloud so pay for the resources we use. In Rackspace speak this is 'Compute Cycles' - we get 10,000 included in our standing monthly payment. Beyond that we pay 1c per cycle and we've hit 90,000 in a month before.

Costs beyond that are a small bit for domain registration and Cloudflare for security protection.

Income is all about Google. When you're logged in there's a banner in the top right and two at the very bottom. They generate around 90% of NSC's income. Some earn for just being there and some for being clicked but Google control all of that.

The rest of what we earn comes from Amazon. Click our link and buy something and we earn a bit.

Month on month NSC earns a profit which is why we can make charitable donations, as well as helping other Albion related causes. We must have donated something like £4-5000 last year I think.

Am I right in saying that Google do not allow you to actively ask website visitors to click on the ads to generate revenue? :)

(This is gonna get deleted, isn't it!)

Oh - and I take the mods out for food and all the beer they can drink from time to time. But they earn it.

Photo from the last mod meeting.

Attachments

• Secret-society-dinner-640x426.jpg
    Secret-society-dinner-640x426.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 986

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Always happy to help...

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I right in saying that Google do not allow you to actively ask website visitors to click on the ads to generate revenue? :)

(This is gonna get deleted, isn't it!)

Absolutely correct, which is why I never would. Also: there's no need - the ads work just fine as they are.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Anyone who gives up there own time to help others is a legend in my eyes. Looking at the money and what comes in goes to show that it's not just a case of turning the site on, but theres loads going on behind the scenes we don't know about but which is vital to the running of the site . Well done to all of you who help.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone who gives up there own time to help others is a legend in my eyes. Looking at the money and what comes in goes to show that it's not just a case of turning the site on, but theres loads going on behind the scenes we don't know about but which is vital to the running of the site . Well done to all of you who help.

That's very kind, but we do it for the uniform and the power. All the mods are ex traffic wardens.

Always happy to help...

So have i got this right,you have not dipped into the cup final cash yet????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here