Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bizarre NSC Banner Ads

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
mine currently says "the end of Britain,A devastating crisis loams.....click here to protect yourself"

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Having just written that, I did get served an ad for a cloud company so perhaps the ads are served by what's written on the forum rather than browsing history.

As I said content (I suppose I should have been clearer and say this means the content of the page you are browsing and the ads are on) and of course cookies are landed on your computer from adverts too and these can be used to serve ads by Google (not all ads are Google ads and work in a normal way advertiser pays to advertise regardless.) so pages you have been on that have adverts served in the normal way may affect the ads that Google serve.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I keep getting an advert for Star Wars costumes.

I have never googled anything to do with Star Wars.

Edit...I might have searched for "princess Leia topless"

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I keep getting ads for the DJI Phantom 2 GPS Drone helicopter. B*stards. They *know* I want one. I'm sure they can see me drooling and twitching.
I'm just one mouse click away from instant massive domestic upheaval, and a life living rough on the streets. Just me and my lovely DJI Phantom 2.
If you are wondering what it is, it's probably at the top of your screen now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I said content (I suppose I should have been clearer and say this means the content of the page you are browsing and the ads are on) and of course cookies are landed on your computer from adverts too and these can be used to serve ads by Google (not all ads are Google ads and work in a normal way advertiser pays to advertise regardless.) so pages you have been on that have adverts served in the normal way may affect the ads that Google serve.

Which makes sense but then given the varied content of NSC and the sheer range of topics being discussed then there are going to be a wide range of topics. I look at the BBC site a lot too and, of course, there a lots of different topics there as well. But to say that ads are served by your browsing history is stretching the point a bit

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
mine currently says "the end of Britain,A devastating crisis loams.....click here to protect yourself"

I get that one too. I even clicked the link. It really does refer to an article in The Economist saying we're ****ed. Good. Anything to wipe the grin off Osbornes face.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I currently have adverts for Visit Norway. I can say for certain that this computer has never been used to search for anything about Norway. Still, better than Christian Dating, I suppose.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another thing: why do I get served ads in other languages? I occasionally look at French and German sites but very, very rarely, don't think I've looked at one for 6 months though. I've never looked at an Italian site or an Indian language (of any description) site, yet I get served them. Not by NSC admittedly but it's rather weird to see them

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Worryingly I seem to have no banner adverts at all, am I dead ?

Are you using Avast or any other virus online security if so has it got an extension active in your browser saying no tracking?

This would stop the ads appearing.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Currentley using my work laptop and the banner ads are ads selling ads!

The banners are more interersting at home!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I currently have adverts for Visit Norway. I can say for certain that this computer has never been used to search for anything about Norway. Still, better than Christian Dating, I suppose.

I get that one too, though I must admit to researching some Scandinavian related activities......

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm getting lots of ads for tickets for Brighton home games - both on here and facebook. Top advertising from the club!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are you using Avast or any other virus online security if so has it got an extension active in your browser saying no tracking?

This would stop the ads appearing.

Ah yes, I have Avast.... I'm alive and able to search with impunity ! hurrah !

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm being offered tickets to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Now a Royal Mail Ad for Andy Pandy stamps.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Now I have a Dell ad and I have not searched any computer purchases at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here