Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making radical changes to the league structure

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think the league needs a bit of a shake up and needs to be expanded. For me there needs to be more league clubs and smaller leagues.

My idea would be to expand the football league to 100 clubs in five professional leagues with the conference below becoming regional. Each league (PL, CH, L1, L2 & L3) to have four promoted (or champions league obviously) and four relegation places. Three teams go up automatically and one via the play offs with maybe a playoff for relegation places as well.

With four teams being promoted and relegated the leagues would be much more interesting with less teams settling or aiming for mid table mediocrity as it would be easy to get sucked into a relegation battle, relegation would be less damaging because it would be easier to go back up.

The changes wouldn’t be too drastic and IMO it would make the leagues much more competitive.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The Championship should be reduced to 20 teams.

Leagues One and Two should be reduced to 22 teams

A new league, League Three should be created with the surplus teams, plus the best of the conference.

The Football League trophy should be expanded to include Championship sides - the winner qualifies for the Europa League

I like this idea.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How will a club survive playing just 22 games a season? The idea of a league structure is to give teams regular matches throughout the season.

Agreed - I'd like to see clubs play more games not less.

It is often bandied about that players get tired and it is unreasonable for them to, for instance, have to play three games in a week as sometimes happens. It's strange how other 'athletes' cope with a much tougher schedule.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have an idea that works along the lines of a Squash ladder.

At the beginning of the season the teams are lined up in the positions they finished last seaosn in, making a 92 club league. The top team starts on 92 points, going down to the obttom team starting on 1 point.

For the first say 10 games, fixtures are drawn between the top 20 team, the next 24 team, the next 24 and the next 24.

The normal points scoring happens during the first 10 games, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw 0 for a defeat. After 10 games the league is reapraised, the teams now in the top 20 now have the next 10 fixtures drawn amongst themselves, and the next 24, and the next and the next. This would give the runaway leaders of say the Championship the chance to move into the top 20 places, and the dogshit teams in the top 20 would fall down the league, and so on all the way down through the 92.

At the end of the season you still have an overall winer, the teams all play the full amount of games, there are teams to relegate to the conference. You can still run the FA Cup, and League Cup in the same way as it is now.

It might need a little more thought, but in principal it's there.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I have an idea that works along the lines of a Squash ladder.

At the beginning of the season the teams are lined up in the positions they finished last seaosn in, making a 92 club league. The top team starts on 92 points, going down to the obttom team starting on 1 point.

For the first say 10 games, fixtures are drawn between the top 20 team, the next 24 team, the next 24 and the next 24.

The normal points scoring happens during the first 10 games, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw 0 for a defeat. After 10 games the league is reapraised, the teams now in the top 20 now have the next 10 fixtures drawn amongst themselves, and the next 24, and the next and the next. This would give the runaway leaders of say the Championship the chance to move into the top 20 places, and the dogshit teams in the top 20 would fall down the league, and so on all the way down through the 92.

At the end of the season you still have an overall winer, the teams all play the full amount of games, there are teams to relegate to the conference. You can still run the FA Cup, and League Cup in the same way as it is now.

It might need a little more thought, but in principal it's there.

There would have to be a break after each set of 10 games so that matches could be arranged, policing organised etc - in general though it would make the opposition far more interesting!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There would have to be a break after each set of 10 games so that matches could be arranged, policing organised etc - in general though it would make the opposition far more interesting!

Yes, the fixtures would be drawn 2 or 3 or 4 times a season. It's no great shakes, we have the cups which are drawn just a week or 2 before they are due to be played. With a bit of planning these could be drawn to give plenty of time, you might have to set the home teams as the season goes on, but there's no hardship in that. By the end of the season each team plays the required number of home and away games.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was with you until you started throwing Scottish teams in there. why?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
i was with you until you started throwing Scottish teams in there. why?

Well, we could use it as a lever to keep the Union together.

I guess I was thinking about Celtic and Rangers constantly looking at wanting to join the party down here and wondered what that might look like and how a system might also enfranchise other Scottish clubs.

Might add that I'm actually anti the Scots joining our league as it is.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
The Championship should be reduced to 20 teams.

Leagues One and Two should be reduced to 22 teams

A new league, League Three should be created with the surplus teams, plus the best of the conference.

The Football League trophy should be expanded to include Championship sides - the winner qualifies for the Europa League

I'd like to see this very much!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here