Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will in your lifetime a WOMAN play in the Football League , Premier League or FA Cup?

Will a lady ever play in the men's game professionally ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 66.1%
  • Shut up Timmy

Votes: 26 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I dunno. Maybe Level 10 or 11 of the Football Pyramid?

Thanks.

OK, when is the last time a Level 10 or 11 team has competed in the FA Cup 1st round?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
No, of course they won't.

Men often ask this sort of question, and they completely miss the point. Women don't WANT to play in teams with men. The physical differences as a rule mean it's just not practical (plus there's probably a few blokes out there who couldn't deal with having a woman take the ball off them and would lose their rag). I imagine those women at the top level would just settle for a degree of recognition occasionally. But that's it. They're not demanding to be part of the same show.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guess a woman could play in GOAL, where strength and speed are much less important. Unfortunately, judging by all the women's football I've ever seen, it's the position that they are most hopeless of all at.

(Sorry Edna x)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Men often ask this sort of question, and they completely miss the point. Women don't WANT to play in teams with men. The physical differences as a rule mean it's just not practical (plus there's probably a few blokes out there who couldn't deal with having a woman take the ball off them and would lose their rag). I imagine those women at the top level would just settle for a degree of recognition occasionally. But that's it. They're not demanding to be part of the same show.

You talk of women as one entity with one opinion. Surely they may be exceptions, especially with the financial rewards and prestige being mainly within the men's game?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
You talk of women as one entity with one opinion. Surely they may be exceptions, especially with the financial rewards and prestige being mainly within the men's game?

Alright. It's a generalisation. But I played for years, and I never once met a female player who expressed a desire to join in with the men's game. The only thing the really top ones would have liked, as I've said, is the money. If you're an England international and you have a £25k a year women's contract, wouldn't you look at Wayne Rooney's salary with envy? That doesn't mean you'd want to play in the same team as him though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Haven't got a clue. Might take a few hours on google to unearth the answer.

I've no idea either on this. Hopefully, someone on NSC does. I think it's safe to say that competing in the FA Cup is more likely to come before a FL or Premier League appearance.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
There is already a whole squad of them in the prem. not doing too well though

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why is everyone so scared of being seen as sexist? It's a fact that men are stronger, faster and bigger than women. The only thing that they'd be capable of parity on is technical skill, but even with the skill of Maradona, Pele or Messi they wouldn't compensate for the physical disparities.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
According to Wikipedia, Chasetown are the lowest ranked club to play in the Third Round, being in the eighth tier when in the FA Cup in 2007-08. If a Women's Premier League player is equivalent to a men's 10th tier, she could be good enough to play in round one and do OK.

But from the rules, are women barred from playing in the men's game?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Why is everyone so scared of being seen as sexist? It's a fact that men are stronger, faster and bigger than women. The only thing that they'd be capable of parity on is technical skill, but even with the skill of Maradona, Pele or Messi they wouldn't compensate for the physical disparities.

Indeed. Nobody expects a woman to run the fastest marathon time on earth.

Relax, you're safe, chaps. The FA would have to change the rules of the game anyway to allow women to play in the same matches, which would never happen.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Won't ever happen unless they change the rules. As women arent allowed to play men's footaball and vice versa. I know girld used to be allowed to play in boys teams upto a certain age, as when I was at school we used to have a girl in our team. To be fair she was just as good if not better than some of us lads.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Won't ever happen unless they change the rules. As women arent allowed to play men's footaball and vice versa. I know girld used to be allowed to play in boys teams upto a certain age, as when I was at school we used to have a girl in our team. To be fair she was just as good if not better than some of us lads.

Allowed up to the age of 11, I believe.

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
It annoys me when women's football makes it onto the BBC website. I see a story about Arsenal signing someone from Liverpool and presume that it is a youngster before noticing the 'women's football; header.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It annoys me when women's football makes it onto the BBC website. I see a story about Arsenal signing someone from Liverpool and presume that it is a youngster before noticing the 'women's football; header.

This is as annoying as on YouTube when there's a video for match highlights and it turns out to be someone playing FIFA Football or PES.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I disagree, women are in plenty of occupations once the preserve of men, like say airline pilots, the Police, Fire Brigade and military proving that they do want to be part of the same show. Rightly so too.

Possibly the greatest example of this change though is the military, and in the US and Canada women can now fight on the front line if they pass the same physical tests as men.

Surely that means to a large extent the theoretical argument for gender equality has been won, beyond special forces, is there a higher test of physical and mental resilience than serving in the infantry?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...ing-the-case-for-women-on-the-front-line.html

Frankly, with these barriers down (in the US etc. ) it's now just up to women to make the grade.

In relation to football I doubt in reality there is not a professional team, it's fans or Board that would care if their best player was a woman (or homosexual for that matter), if anything it would generate plenty of positive exposure for the club and even potential income.

To get there though you would probably need to deconstruct the burgeoning women's game and allow them to compete with men. That is unlikely to happen in my view because too much political capital has been invested in the women's game and, more importantly financially many women players are probably happy with that scenario rather than losing it to compete directly with men.

As always capitalism will out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here