Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I played it whilst making dinner last night. My wife kept saying "I don't like this one" and "this one's boring". Impinged on my enjoyment a little. One of the songs was only about 57 seconds long anyway. She let the last two songs pass without comment.

I tend to listen to music when making dinner (although I might just slap the Roar on now), and my missus has been increasingly negative about my recent purchases. She has a far greater knowledge of music than me though.
ps I think you're being a tad harsh on REM, although it might be me getting bland in my old age (I've come to them rather late, despite seeing them at the time you seem to think it went belly-up for them, c1990).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I tend to listen to music when making dinner (although I might just slap the Roar on now), and my missus has been increasingly negative about my recent purchases. She has a far greater knowledge of music than me though.
ps I think you're being a tad harsh on REM, although it might be me getting bland in my old age (I've come to them rather late, despite seeing them at the time you seem to think it went belly-up for them, c1990).

I actually didn't mind the next two after Green, but I gave up completely with Monster or Up (whichever was first). Sometimes it's great to get into a band who've already released loads of albums and be able to go back at your leisure and listen to them - I did this with REM as my first album was Life's Rich Pageant, although I'd remembered being intrigued by them when I was 11 or 12 when they were on The Old Grey Whistle Test. They are a band I'll always listen to - the first EP plus the first five albums are all top notch, at least two of those being classics. I imagine a re-release of Murmur would get the legendary Pitchfork 10 score.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I actually didn't mind the next two after Green, but I gave up completely with Monster or Up (whichever was first). Sometimes it's great to get into a band who've already released loads of albums and be able to go back at your leisure and listen to them - I did this with REM as my first album was Life's Rich Pageant, although I'd remembered being intrigued by them when I was 11 or 12 when they were on The Old Grey Whistle Test. They are a band I'll always listen to - the first EP plus the first five albums are all top notch, at least two of those being classics. I imagine a re-release of Murmur would get the legendary Pitchfork 10 score.

I think Green is their master piece. I also think New Adventures is a damn fine album.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I agree with HT. Green is the best REM album imo. Love that album.

I'm a bit peed off this morning. Listening to the War On Drugs album this morning and the realisation that's sounds like a weird Bryan Adams/Deacon Blue mash-up.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I'm a bit peed off this morning. Listening to the War On Drugs album this morning and the realisation that's sounds like a weird Bryan Adams/Deacon Blue mash-up.

I won't prolong the argument about Green - people obviously like it! Re War on Drugs - some mistake surely? More like Dire Straits.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nope! I definitely hear Bryan Adams and Deacon Blue.

Maybe I have a Bryan Adams fixation. There's a few tracks on that new Ryan Adams album that sound, to me, like Bryan...and Bryan and Ryan share the same birthday. Coincidence? I think not.

I listened to that Frankie Cosmos album the other day. I like it a lot. Very nice, the autobiographical nature of the songs, the lack of ego, the lo-fi feel to it. She's got some talent.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I listened to that Frankie Cosmos album the other day. I like it a lot. Very nice, the autobiographical nature of the songs, the lack of ego, the lo-fi feel to it. She's got some talent.

She releases several albums a year, so consistency may be an issue. Unfortunately I've now been singing "My daddy is a fireman" to myself for about an hour and a half.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
She releases several albums a year, so consistency may be an issue. Unfortunately I've now been singing "My daddy is a fireman" to myself for about an hour and a half.

I love that track and the way it flows from the 'Art School' so well. She's quite endearing. There are a couple of similarities with Daniel Johnston - I don't mean the severe psychosis, the adoration from Sonic Youth and Nirvana nor with the obsession with Casper the Friendly Ghost but both artists are very DIY, the subject matter although banal is, as I say, extremely personal and endearing and both can write a catchy tune.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I love that track and the way it flows from the 'Art School' so well. She's quite endearing. There are a couple of similarities with Daniel Johnston - I don't mean the severe psychosis, the adoration from Sonic Youth and Nirvana nor with the obsession with Casper the Friendly Ghost but both artists are very DIY, the subject matter although banal is, as I say, extremely personal and endearing and both can write a catchy tune.

Endearing is a good description - I feel like she needs a hug. Her dad isn't really a fireman - he's a film star.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
B*gger me! I like her even more! Her dad's a very well-known film star yet she sings about him being a fireman. She's quite adorable.

Dad AND Mum are film stars!

Anyway - some interesting choices of song titles in her catalogue:

much ado about ****ing (2012)
sickerwinter (2012)
birth of penis (2012)
woodchip arthur and his sweaty palms (2012)
LOSING (2012)
Wobbling (2013)
why am i underwater? (2013)
im sorry im hi lets go (2013)
Songs I Made. Hi (2011)
i'mall fuced up (2011)
Collaborative Farting (2011)
suckups vs. lovers (2011)
shit about **** (2011)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Spot on, re WoD, although tinycowboy's not far off with Dire Straits either. Can I put forward Mike and the Mechanics as my contribution.
Mind you, we're disagreeing with HT on this. It's a funny thing musical affiliations.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I see The Czars, John Grant's pre-going solo band have a retrospective out on Bella Union. I know there are plenty that like Grant here, though I'd reccomend you have a listen first, thbeir output was very hit and miss.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I see The Czars, John Grant's pre-going solo band have a retrospective out on Bella Union. I know there are plenty that like Grant here, though I'd reccomend you have a listen first, thbeir output was very hit and miss.

I loved the Czars but they were a bit of an acquired taste veering towards Americana and as you say, nothing like his solo stuff. 'Bright Black Eyes' and 'Paint the Moon' are, for me, the two standout tracks by the band.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spot on, re WoD, although tinycowboy's not far off with Dire Straits either. Can I put forward Mike and the Mechanics as my contribution.
Mind you, we're disagreeing with HT on this. It's a funny thing musical affiliations.

I have never heard war on drugs. Bizarrely the hideous sounding combination of Bryan Adams - Deacon Blue - Dire Straits and Mike & the Mechanics are going to COMPEL me to now seek it out.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I have never heard war on drugs. Bizarrely the hideous sounding combination of Bryan Adams - Deacon Blue - Dire Straits and Mike & the Mechanics are going to COMPEL me to now seek it out.

Is it stretching credulity to say that the vocals have a touch of Bob Dylan to them? I fear you may find the actuality of this mélange somewhat bland.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I loved the Czars but they were a bit of an acquired taste veering towards Americana and as you say, nothing like his solo stuff. 'Bright Black Eyes' and 'Paint the Moon' are, for me, the two standout tracks by the band.

I thought I really liked them until I heard Queen of Denmark!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here