Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Just on my official 20th listening. Anyone that doesn't love the new War On Drugs album is no friend of mine. I didn't like it at all at first, it requires quite a bit of patience. It's like trying to get into Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden. Difficult but my god, worth it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just on my official 20th listening. Anyone that doesn't love the new War On Drugs album is no friend of mine. I didn't like it at all at first, it requires quite a bit of patience. It's like trying to get into Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden. Difficult but my god, worth it.

Interesting. It hit the spot immediately with me. Agree it is a corker of an album though. So far Neneh Cherry has the top 2014 spot but this is coming very close. Ocean Between The Seas is on repeat a lot of the time; the dynamic of this song is so cool and brilliantly under pinned by a semi-motorik beat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm up to 10. It's got better every time.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Woah there! That's a big call.

Absolutely loving the Ekoplekz - Unfidelity album released on the ever reliable Planet Mu records

For fans of Aphex Twin, u-ziq.

Hello. That'll be my weekly trip to Resident sorted.

Flex Your Head

One of those albums you stick on, close your eyes, and within minutes it's whisked you off in a trance, dropping you back down to Earth 30 minutes later, slack-jawed, dribbling and blinking like a newborn. A tad embarrassing if you're on the commute to work, but stunning nonetheless.

Sick Kid gets me everytime.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Who's heard the EMA record then?

I'm loving it. Lyrically superb again. As expected "So Blonde" is the exception rather than the rule.

Not heard it yet in its entirety but looking forward to buying it later this week. Got some decent reviews and really hope to see her live again very soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've bought the new M83 album, a soundtrack (french title which I cannot be bothered to type out) which seems to be based on Come Together by Primal Scream. Not a bad thing I guess.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Two points:
1. got the War on Drugs album on the strength of the recommendations of many; I've heard it twice and will give it several more listens, but I'm somewhat torn by it. I can see its strengths: pure pop, psychedelia, desert rock, etc. But there's something oh so bland about it, the Mrs indicated that it sounded like Springsteen, whereas I fear it's more like Mike and the Mechanics.
2. in stark contrast, I might have to go back and revisit my favourite albums of 2013, because I've just got my hands on a release from that year, Without Noticing by Fire!, which is dark and difficult yet beautiful, and certainly couldn't be accused of being bland.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
got the War on Drugs album on the strength of the recommendations of many; I've heard it twice and will give it several more listens, but I'm somewhat torn by it

I know what you mean - in the wrong mood, at the wrong time, it's boring Stadium Rock. At the right time, it's great. Sounded very nice in Resident on Saturday. Why do albums ALWAYS sound good in Resident, but sometimes not so good at home??

Anyway, Fear of Men: very good - for fans of Broadcast and Saloon who like it tuneful and indie guitar-ish, with occasional notes of Grouper and the odd shimmer of shoegazey guitar from time to time. Great for people who love songs that sometimes end with a grating, harsh noise. NOT a really noisey album though - mostly lightish and pleasant. A good listen.

Francois and the Atlas Mountains. Hmmm, not bad, ok. For Francophile Camera Obscura fans who don't mind a male singer.

EMA: not sure what to make of this. This album achieved the unusual accolade of having EVERYONE in the car, apart from me (but I was driving - driver gets to choose the music in our car), begging for it to be turned off. Track 1 was fantastic - lovely white noise beginning, followed by great harmonies and noises. Track 2 was pretty rubbish. The next three tracks were also pretty average - overwrought vocals are not my favourite kind of vocals, kids started to take the mickey a bit - but there were one or two nice passages. Nothing that much happening in the way of music, percussion, sound or vocals to interest me that much. Finally gave in to the car consensus at this point and Back In Black (not mine, but belonging to a friend of my son) was aired (some good parts, but mostly vaguely sexist-sounding filler with generic chord changes). I will work on EMA.

Horse Thief: not had time yet. Hopefully better than Band of Horses though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two points:
1. got the War on Drugs album on the strength of the recommendations of many; I've heard it twice and will give it several more listens, but I'm somewhat torn by it. I can see its strengths: pure pop, psychedelia, desert rock, etc. But there's something oh so bland about it, the Mrs indicated that it sounded like Springsteen, whereas I fear it's more like Mike and the Mechanics. 2. in stark contrast, I might have to go back and revisit my favourite albums of 2013, because I've just got my hands on a release from that year, Without Noticing by Fire!, which is dark and difficult yet beautiful, and certainly couldn't be accused of being bland.

You dont hold back when it comes to criticism do you :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two points:
1. got the War on Drugs album on the strength of the recommendations of many; I've heard it twice and will give it several more listens, but I'm somewhat torn by it. I can see its strengths: pure pop, psychedelia, desert rock, etc. But there's something oh so bland about it, the Mrs indicated that it sounded like Springsteen, whereas I fear it's more like Mike and the Mechanics.
2. in stark contrast, I might have to go back and revisit my favourite albums of 2013, because I've just got my hands on a release from that year, Without Noticing by Fire!, which is dark and difficult yet beautiful, and certainly couldn't be accused of being bland.

WRT to War On Drugs I guess it is down to opinions. I rave about but the Frau doesnt get it either. Her view is similar to yours. We share a love of a lot of music but not The War on Drugs.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
...War on Drugs album on the strength of the recommendations of many; I've heard it twice and will give it several more listens, but I'm somewhat torn by it. I can see its strengths: pure pop, psychedelia, desert rock, etc. But there's something oh so bland about it, the Mrs indicated that it sounded like Springsteen, whereas I fear it's more like Mike and the Mechanics.

Yes, this!

I sat down, for the fourth or fifth time, over the weekend and listened to it...pure concentration, no interruptions. Twice through.

I can't get past the fact that I just find it very bland, very dull. I gave it far longer than I normally would have done, as so many on here seem to swear by it. I won't be listening again.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have got the Slave Ambient War On Drugs album and saw them live when they toured it.
When the new album was released the reviews although incrediably positive have actually put me off buying it. Too many references to musicians I don't actually like that much.
'Unapolagetic in its Dad- Rock reverence' as one review put it.

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
Ben Watt's Hendra is a classy album imho. Not for everyone granted, and he's abandoned the 'tiddly plonk' stuff and returned to an early EBTG vibe (Which is a good thing) Bernard Butler plays on most of the tracks too, so what's not to like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here