Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ben Watt's Hendra is a classy album imho. Not for everyone granted, and he's abandoned the 'tiddly plonk' stuff and returned to an early EBTG vibe (Which is a good thing) Bernard Butler plays on most of the tracks too, so what's not to like.

Interesting. I was listening to him and some tracks of this albumn on Radio 6. I just happened to turn the radio on and liked what I heard to sat around to figure out who it was.

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
Interesting. I was listening to him and some tracks of this albumn on Radio 6. I just happened to turn the radio on and liked what I heard to sat around to figure out who it was.

Missed him on Radio 6, but if that got your interest i'd take a punt on the album. After all it's only taken him 30 years to follow up his debut solo offering so it gives you plenty of time to get into it before he releases the next one!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Trust - Joyland (for fans of properly dark electro)
[yt]iw3UlWm0p3A[/yt]
Douglas Dare - Whelm (for fans of when Thom Yorke sits at a piano)
[yt]dM11B4Ieba8[/yt]

Give em a go.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
2014 so far is like 2011 - a lack of music being released I'm connecting with. I'll have a listen to your show later SPC and see if that changes anything.

I always tell other people off for saying this but I genuinely think it's been a disppointing year so far.

The Copeland album may well change my mind (http://boomkat.com/vinyl/950700-copeland-because-i-m-worth-it.) Swans new one is going to be monumental, I'm currently deperately trying not to listen to the low quality rip that is doing the rounds at the moment.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I always tell other people off for saying this but I genuinely think it's been a disppointing year so far.

The Copeland album may well change my mind (http://boomkat.com/vinyl/950700-copeland-because-i-m-worth-it.) Swans new one is going to be monumental, I'm currently deperately trying not to listen to the low quality rip that is doing the rounds at the moment.

SPC? SHC I meant.
Don't know anything about Copeland, I'll give em a listen. I liked the last but one Swans album, but the last one seemed like a massive effort to listen to it. I probably need to tune back into it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
SPC? SHC I meant.
Don't know anything about Copeland, I'll give em a listen.

I'll bet you do. Half of Hype Williams and latterly Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland. The lead track on the record is a collab with Actress

And just mentioning her gives me an excuse to post this. It's in any conversation about my favourite tracks of the decade. Storming album as well

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
2014 so far is like 2011 - a lack of music being released I'm connecting with. I'll have a listen to your show later SPC and see if that changes anything.

Can't remember what did(n't) come out in 2011, but have to agree about 2014. The two albums that seem to have attracted the most attention on this thread -- East India Youth and The War on Drugs -- don't do it for me; I can think of reams of albums released last year that easily eclipse these and I have a particularly limited knowledge of what's going on at the moment (unlike at least one person who is a fixture on this thread).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Slightly O/T but I haven't been able to get this track out of my head today. He'll definately release something this year, he's super prolific. It's a bit Beck'y I guess.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
oo thats nice pop. Thanks. $24 for UK postage ($36 in total) though is taking the piss a bit!

Bunch of jokers. You'll just have to buy a truckload of coloured vinyl 7" and LPs to go with it so that the average rate of postage per item is more acceptable. Or wait for a UK release...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This, the new Playlounge LP, arrived on Friday and it's stunning. The T-shirt is a thing of beauty too, but the XL is surely XXXL!

I've finally got around to this. I'm getting a lot of crunchy American guitar chords, I'm hearing Japandroids, No Age. I'm sensing some hints of ...AYWKUBTTOD. Am I liking it though? You know, I think I am. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't remember what did(n't) come out in 2011, but have to agree about 2014. The two albums that seem to have attracted the most attention on this thread -- East India Youth and The War on Drugs -- don't do it for me; I can think of reams of albums released last year that easily eclipse these and I have a particularly limited knowledge of what's going on at the moment (unlike at least one person who is a fixture on this thread).

Have you listened to the Neneh Cherry/RocketNumber9 long player?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here