Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BHAFC museum bedroom - what do you have? what would you like?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just out of interest, where did you manage to get the Post Office poster from? It was produced in 1977 for the sides of Royal Mail vans in Brighton and Hove and a fair number were carefully removed from parked-up vehicles by souvenir hunters. Royal Mail didn't mind at all - it was all good publicity for the use-your-postcode publicity campaign and I'm definitely not accusing you of theft. Especially as I've got one too.

I won an auction that BHA Collectors and Historians Society ran at Withdean about four years ago. I hadn't heard of it at the time but obviously recognised the photo from the John Vinicombe book cover.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Other posters that people may be interested in that didn't make the bedroom wall...

1981-82poster.jpg

1982-83squad.jpg

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
We had a red Sandtex top 3 times:

1993/1994 Ribero
1995/1997 Admiral
1997/1998 Super League (2 types, one with a white sponsor panel, one with a white sponsor).

I'm all done with valueing red Albion shirts these days in case I get it horribly wrong! As a rule the older the shirt, the higher the value, but you do need to find someone who wants them. Oh, go on then, but don't hold these against me. Your 93/94 shirt should make around £40 on eBay, likewise the Admiral one from 95/97. The 97/98 one with the white sponsor panel is a rare one, if I didn't already have one I'd probably give £150-£200 for it, for the one with the white sponsor font, you're probably in the £30 area. It's down to the condition too, and if it's a matchworn shirt, then you'd get offers over £100 for either of the Goldstone era shirts.

My sons shirt is the super league one size 7 years age so dont know if that makes it rarer or more valuable just has santex on the front?
ThAnks phil

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My sons shirt is the super league one size 7 years age so dont know if that makes it rarer or more valuable just has santex on the front?
ThAnks phil

As it's a childs size, that affects the value negatively in my experience. A collector wanting to complete the set would want it, in the past I have bought whatever I could find to add to the collection, then replaced them when I've found a better one.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
I have one of those, my son has just recently grown out of it himself. I used to wear it on my paper round.

lucky man, goes to show what good quality they were if your boy was still wearing it recently.
it was a couple of years before my paper round days, but i remember it being compulsory to have one of those tops

Northstand CAT

Apr 3, 2012
BN3
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] could you tell me what the picture in your avatar is from? I've been watching out for some Dolphins memorabilia on ebay but nothing has come up yet.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lots of stuff accumulated down the years, including all the Argus copies of sale of goldstone through to Archer finally out but my personal favs are:

Last ever game played in top flight programme (away at Norwich which I went to) signed by entire team (which was the cup final squad basically) addressed to me (auntie new a director at Norwich and asked Jimmy Melia)

Personal photo of Zamora scoring a goal taken by bobby zamoras mum at withdean and signed by the great man himself (friend of friend sorted for me as knew I followed lowly Brighton at the time!)

I'd also like to add that perhaps the greatest possession to every come my way, a wembley cup final ball signed by the entire Man U AND Brighton cup final teams...we gave to east London Seagull as a wedding present. Because he's a top bloke and worthy custodian :)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] could you tell me what the picture in your avatar is from? I've been watching out for some Dolphins memorabilia on ebay but nothing has come up yet.
I have the Blue/White/Yellow Banded 'Cheesecutter' hat with the Dolphin badge...my painting of Peter Ward/Amex is in the museum...
also have an 1911 away programme and a medal awarded to a young Albion player F.Allen...in sterling silver...circa about 1920...boxes of programmes over a 100 autographed photo's of Albion players...but then my cousins Grandad was one of the first Albion players and scored one of the first goals for the Albion....it's in the blood...of a wasted life....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Just seen your post, the badge on my avatar and a similar one was on EBay last week, buy it now, I haven't looked today to see if they are still there.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

It's a photo of the top of a pennant I have, you know, the sort if thing the captains used to exchange pre match before kick off. I've not seen much else dolphins branded either, don't really think there was a lot of it produced. Dolphins was quite a short lived thing too I think.

Northstand CAT

Apr 3, 2012
BN3
Thanks I thought it might have been from a shirt but 'The Dolphins' emblem was never on any of the kit as far as I know.

Sounds like it may be worth checking back on ebay every now and then, I can't find any badges similar to your avatar at the moment but at least it seems theres a few around.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I won an auction that BHA Collectors and Historians Society ran at Withdean about four years ago. I hadn't heard of it at the time but obviously recognised the photo from the John Vinicombe book cover.

I remember buying one from Worthing main post office when it came out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
When I interviewed Andy Rollings for Viva Brighton magazine, and we got talking about the museum, he told me that he had an Albion blazer with a Dolphin emblem and was interested in donating that.

Elsewhere, on eBay, I found this scarf which declares 'Up The Dolphins' near the hand graphic:

cloughsaces.jpg

There was also this badge:

dolphins1.jpg

When the club changed its official nickname, it meant lots of merchandise had to be given up, as the Argus reported in a retrospective piece in 1983:

The chant of Seagulls had the Albion soaring to new heights… and it left Rob Pavey, now commercial manager with a Dolphin-sized headache. The fervour from the terraces had to be kept up with. Already one sports shop in Brighton was selling Seagull scarves. Said Ron: “We had a whole lot of stock with Dolphins on it and really all I could do was ditch it. Alan Mullery gave scarves and things like that to children’s homes and we concentrated on the Seagulls.”

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
When I interviewed Andy Rollings for Viva Brighton magazine, and we got talking about the museum, he told me that he had an Albion blazer with a Dolphin emblem and was interested in donating that.

Elsewhere, on eBay, I found this scarf which declares 'Up The Dolphins' near the hand graphic:

cloughsaces.jpg

There was also this badge:

dolphins1.jpg

When the club changed its official nickname, it meant lots of merchandise had to be given up, as the Argus reported in a retrospective piece in 1983:

The chant of Seagulls had the Albion soaring to new heights… and it left Rob Pavey, now commercial manager with a Dolphin-sized headache. The fervour from the terraces had to be kept up with. Already one sports shop in Brighton was selling Seagull scarves. Said Ron: “We had a whole lot of stock with Dolphins on it and really all I could do was ditch it. Alan Mullery gave scarves and things like that to children’s homes and we concentrated on the Seagulls.”

Nice to see the old 70's rug in that picture, was that part of the stock that was ditched?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Who would be the best Albion-related girly pin-up?

Louise? Val Lloyd?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here