Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Crofts injury is as bad as it sounds then surely Bridcutt is going nowhere...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You wouldn't pick Orlandi to start?

No. But he replaces someone from centre mid, who in turn comes back in to replace Crofts. If you get my drift.

It depends who you have in mind of him replacing. Not at the expense of the engine room, no I wouldn't. In place of Lopez on recent form(yesterdays goal excluded) yes I would...When you start picking players, just to accommidate them, you weaken the side as a whole. I thought that much was obvious.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
He's not the architypal box to box midfielder no, but with him back and fit playing a slightly more advanced role coupled with our get the ball forward faster style Orlandi could well be key to unlocking defenses with his passing and attacking play.

Ince and Andrews see more of capable of covering the defensive part of Crofts game.

Disagree, Crofts has been getting back to his best; an absolute terrier in midfield closing players down and unsettling them and he also knows where the goal is. Ince and Andrews just don't have both those dimensions to their game.

Oops, just read rest of thread and seen I've repeated what others have already posted

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not at the expense of being over run in midfield by the more physical sides.

It depends who you have in mind of him replacing. Not at the expense of the engine room, no I wouldn't. In place of Lopez on recent form(yesterdays goal excluded) yes I would...When you start picking players, just to accommidate them, you weaken the side as a whole. I thought that much was obvious.

In a 5-3-2 I'd want Orlandi in the middle, alongside Crofts and Bridcutt (or in today's money Ince + Andrews/Agustien). Buckley/Lopez on the right and Lua Lua/Conway on the left.

I'd be keen to see a 4-4-2 though, with Orlandi on the left-side, Buckley on the right and CMS+Ulloa upfront together. Think that one might be unlikely though.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
In a 5-3-2 I'd want Orlandi in the middle, alongside Crofts and Bridcutt (or in today's money Ince + Andrews/Agustien). Buckley/Lopez on the right and Lua Lua/Conway on the left.

I'd be keen to see a 4-4-2 though, with Orlandi on the left-side, Buckley on the right and CMS+Ulloa upfront together. Think that one might be unlikely though.

If we got Conway back, don't be surprised to see Lua Lua slip into Crofts' role as a free role with the former on the left.

I don't think Orlandi has the stamina to play centre mid.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
when I was in Oz at Christmas, saw Brisbane v Melbourne. Matthew McKay , Aussie international playing for Brisbane, caught my eye ......would fit the bill perfectly imo.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I don't want to suggest Ince is the answer to everything, but he is one of the few midfielders who puts in a tackle and wins back possession the same way Crofts does - not as good, but the closest we have in my view. Sadly, can't see Ince getting the same goal tally as Crofts. The alternative is to play Andrews in a more forward role? Need transfer activity really.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Whilst Orlandi does not provide the defensive cover of crofts he can certainly
play as the most attacking member of a 3 man midfield or as part of a 3
in a 4 2 3 1
it is a bit like the debate whether Ince can be a replacement for bridcutt
obviously physically very different and different attributes
but both are defensive midfielders ( Ince could still play centre half as well)
There are more ways than one of skinning a cat!
Where Orlandi might struggle to replace crofts is if we revert to just one defensive midfielder
eg not play 2 from Ince Andrews and bridcutt
I suspect Oscar raised on the Barcelona way would prefer that as I would.
But the loss of crofts makes that more difficult .although not impossible with JFC
If promotion is a realistic aim it depends on adding goal scoring threat
if necessary at the expense of defensive cover.
I would except the risky loss of Bridcutt if it meant finding a replacement for Barnes
A wide attacking player with a consistent goal scoring threat .
Even if that meant missing out on Conway
Of course whether we can find such a player in our budget is debateable
But with injuries the loss of Barnes ,probably Bridcutt and so many players out
of contract at the end of the season I would be reassured with the arrival of a new
non loan signing who can add goals and assists from either a wide or central position

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here